shape
carat
color
clarity

Exercising...for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just began a thread inquiring about running/walking shoes. I have another question I thought of asking. I would like to get back into exercising but judging from past experience, I know I''m not the best at following through with this venture. What''s the best way to begin again? I know to start slowly and have smaller, attainable goals. What else? In the past, I''ve been successful for a while and then I just stop going. I feel terrible but it doesn''t get me motivated. I''d like to get into a regular routine for a variety of reasons (health, future wedding and family, etc.).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get a dog!
2.gif

I''m only half joking here. I was horrible at keeping up with going to the gym. I''d be gung ho for a few months then stop going. Now that I have a dog, he NEEDS to be walked at least twice a day for 1/2 an hour. It''s the only thing that works for me.

But in all seriousness, find something that you LOVE to do and do it. Biking, walking, hiking, rollerblading, swimming are ALL great forms of exercise and IMO are way more interesting than spending an hour on the elliptical everyday.

Something that works for my best friend is she limits her TV intake to gym time only. So she cut off her cable and now when she wants to watch her shows she needs to do it on the treadmill or elliptical at the gym (her gym has individual TV''s on the exercise machines). Since she is a TV junkie it works quite well for her. Cost savings and exercise, can''t beat it!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Get few sessions ( whatever you can buy) with an experienced and reputable personal trainer.After working out with them , ask them to design few different workouts for you with your fitness goals in mind.Then from time to time just book one session( or more if needed ) to see if you are staying on track.I have the same problem, but when I do it the way I am recommending it works.Keeps me going basically.I have to do exactly the same right now.Just waiting to see if the taxman will send me some money so I can treat myself..

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with getting a dog, haha! That will force you to work out! But in all seriousness, maybe you should first try branching out and taking some classes with alternative exercising, like Tae Bo, Yoga, Tai Chi, Dance classes/ exercises. You might find something you like better which will keep you motivated! I used to run every day in summer during high school because I was on the soccer team, but I HATED it, and would go everyday, take a day off, and then suddenly, towards the end of summer, I didn''t go at all. Once I found an exercise method I LOVED, I look forward to working out!

*M*

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Find somebody to go with! I used to hate going to the gym because I had to go alone. I would have loved someone who I could work out with
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I go to the gym, but also I like to walk around my neighborhood. I keep my tennis shoes by the door and my ipod is always close by. Walking is so refreshing and mind clearing not to mention easy and cheap!!! Best wishes; we know you can do it. Whooooo hooooooooooooo
35.gif
I am cheering you on girl
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!! Skippy, you''re such a cheerleader! Honestly, you seem like one of the happiest people I''ve "met."
1.gif

We had planned on getting a dog (a wheaten terrier) but we ended up getting two kittens instead. Since we live in a condo, it would be too much to have 3 pets here. That is on our list of things to do though someday.
1.gif

I had gone to a trainer at my gym but then I stopped going and I was embarrassed to run into her again. Then she''d KNOW how "lazy" I had gotten about it. I''m one of those people who think that I have to be in shape before going to the gym.
6.gif

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
My only advice is to find what works for you, and that''s different for everyone. For me, getting in the car, driving to the gym and working out with a bunch of strangers is never going to happen. Instead I do a 4-mile fast walk almost every morning (and I do have a dog who keeps me motivated!) on a walking trail near my house, and I have a treadmill in the garage for the icky weather days we have so often here.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Put on a bikini. Seriously...It works for me. Where I live, somewhere around Feb. it gets warm enough to go to the beach in a bathing suit. When I put on a bathing suit for the first time I just about scream. Ahhhhhhhhh...cellulite attacks! It''s enough to motivate me to get going with my Jane Fonda aerobics, lunges, squats, crunches and push ups. With 3 kids I don''t have time (or patience) for the gym and at home workouts are a must for me. There''s a pool about 1/4 mile from my house and when the kids are home we are walking there several times a day some days. You could also try to just be a little more active every day...Stairs (two at a time is great for buns) vs. elevator and parking far away while shopping. You''ll be amazed at what a difference small lifestyle changes make. Also, watch what you eat. For me, sugar zaps energy and not only adds weight, but, bloating too. Good luck with your exercise plan!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any advice, but I totally can''t follow through with exercising. Working out don''t make me feel good and I can''t get motivated. It''s such a drag and almost like a chore to me. I only start working out when I think I look chubby, and then it usually lasts for a couple weeks. So I can totally understand where you are coming from.

Miranda, you are funny about the bikini... but it''s totally work. That''s the reason why exercising is seasonal for me. Workout in Spring to look good in tanks, skirts and bikini. Occasional workout in Summer to maintain shape. Even less workout when Fall comes around and then no workout in Winter (can hide fat in cloths and the fat helps me stay warm). hehe.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 3:39:56 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Thanks ladies!! Skippy, you''re such a cheerleader! Honestly, you seem like one of the happiest people I''ve ''met.''
1.gif
Thanks. I wasn''t good enough in high school to be a cheerleader so I was on Drill Team instead. LOL, wanna be cheerleader w/pom poms.

Okay, we are cheering you on. Please go join the WWT so you can tell us about your exercise
9.gif

elle

Shiny_Rock
Author:Miranda. Put on a bikini.

LOL! Off to try that out!

Second the workout wiht a friend! Makes it more fun! I used to play tennis, go golfing and do yoga cos my friends would drag me out - since we''ve moved here, I''ve been paying for gym fees for 8 months and can count on ONE hand the no. of times I''ve been there! And yes, I so kwym about the trainer thing too!

Good luck!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

Do you have a friend you could walk with? Before I moved to be near my DH, I lived about 15 blocks from a close friend. We used to meet 1/2 way 2-4 times a week and get a great walk in after dinner. Time passed quickly because we talked so much and it was just so much fun. I really miss those times with her.

~K

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the motivation for me came from just being flat out tired of looking the way i did and knowing it wasn't my 'best'...and that i wasn't trying my 'best'. and that i was only getting older and if i didn't give it my all and see what i could accomplish now then as the years went on the chances were slim i'd ever accomplish it THEN...so anyway i met and exceeded my goals and it feels great. sure it took a lot of work, and a lot of months...but i did it. and that is the best motivation ever to keep it going.

until you really get to that point mentally where you REALLY want to give it a strong go...it will just be halfhearted 'when i have time' kinda thing..and i did that too for a while til it ding-dinged that it wasn't enough and i needed to really give it a go. and honestly i think once people reach that point, they don't need that much motivation to keep it going because it feels and looks good. oh and i totally agree re finding an exercise you love doing. i love kickboxing so that is how i started out, and i love walking so i added that in..and then the gym and then just kept going...switching things up when i got bored.

good luck!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Walking is a good way to start, minimal investment and easy on your body. It is good to get a walking or cross training shoe, with arch support and gel cushioning if you have a high arch. I also have a pedometer type gizmo from Garmon that is great, only works outside, and tells you a lot about your workout. Some light strength training is good too!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a desk job after being in retail since high school a couple years ago and quickly began gaining weight due to the fact I wasn''t on my feet all day long and constantly moving around...I knew after about 3 months I was going to have to start working out, so I joined a women''s only gym in my neighborhood and it took me only about a month to lose motivation. So the next thing I did was sign up for a walking marathon (AVon Walk for Breast Cancer) which required me to do training walks with my team from the gym once a week as well as walking on my own during the week...I ended up making some great friends, having a wonderful experience, and losing about 18 pounds. I am also one of those people who thinks they need to be in good shape to go to the gym, and also I have to have a definite goal in mind to stay motivated to exercise. Long term health and all that doesn''t really do it for me in terms of benefits to working out, it''s more immediate to short-term gratification like fitting into some smaller size clothing I once wore that works for me. Or a bikini...
9.gif

You could also try getting some fun tech gadget if that floats your boat...like a pedometer or heart monitor. Some people find that crunching the numbers of their fitness journey helps them stay on track. You can try tracking your calories at a site like sparkpeople or ediets, plus seeing your calories expended per workout if you don''t choose a treadmill or elliptical for workouts and opt for walking outside or wherever instead.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also not a gym girl...the time in the car, looking for parking, waiting to use the machine I want, feeling I cannot look like a TOTAL slob...hassle. I have a home gym, I have my trainer come to help with weights and stretching and pilates (I have fibro and bad form hurts me a lot)...I am about to get my third cardio machine, I do get bored a bit, but I have my tv in there, and tons of dvd''s and Comcast on demand, so I catch up with shows and movies etc. I am happy to save the time I would spend driving to the closest gym here, and parking...it is just more efficient for me that way. I always felt self consciouus in classes, uncoordinated though I am not too bad, I just felt like a spazz and it made me cranky...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like the gym either, and I''m like Monarch: I know I''m getting long-term health benefits, but my jeans size is what really motivates me.
4.gif
Whatever works!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results