shape
carat
color
clarity

Exercise Classes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m always nervous to try them. I''m a little clumsy and afraid of not keeping up - but I think it might be good for me motivation-wise. What classes have you tried and enjoyed? What classes have you tried and not enjoyed? Why?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have any fear at all, do not start out with a step class! I do step all the time at home and when I was in the class, I stumbled around and looked like a complete idiot. Kathy Smith on my home tv is much safer.

Gyms have great classes, but I''ve also done aerobics at the parks department programs and those are much more low-key and forgiving for beginners or those who do not like as much of a competitive environment.

Are you doing any exercise dvd''s at home? Possibly get acclimated to those first before going to a group setting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t actually tried any classes, but I hear you get a great workout with spinning!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do a salsa step class and a salsa aerobics class. Our instructor is Spanish so it''s kind of like spanish dancing mixed with aerobics and they''re great fun. She teaches us a routine over a couple of weeks and then switches it around. I love them and am so tired by the time they''re done. I love any sort of aerobics class though.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock

Hi,

I haven''t been posting much lately (moving soon, etc.), but have to chime in and say that I love spin/cycling classes. I go to Gold''s Gym and they have wonderful classes in both 45 and 60 minute increments.

Doesn''t require any coordination... just hop on a bike and go. I also like the fact that it is very easy to adapt the class to your own level. It''s all about the resistance on the bike.

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I participate in a cardio kickboxing class at my gym and find it to be fun and a great workout. I had tried step once but would probably say steer clear of those if you are self conscious or clumsy (as I am). LOL.

nuclear

Rough_Rock
Just ask the trainers at your gym what the levels of each class are. Some will naturally be harder than others and they can lead you in the right direction. Once you get into it more, you can try out the more difficult ones. Don''t be afraid though, everyone has to start somewhere.
36.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''m planning to start a cycling class with a friend of mine at her gym. that would be nice, or yoga, pilates! Step classes if you can pick up the steps pretty quickly. Ask if there are classes where they demonstrate the steps first. I found The Fit TV classes to be easy to pick up because they demonstrate them slowly and then pick up the pace

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
You just have to find what suites you. I was a dancer for many years, but was not graceful enough for ballet, sensual enough for salsa or smooth enough for swing. I was disappointed, but I loved to dance so I kept trying. Eventually I found Irish step dance which I love and am very good at. My point is, there are going to be certain types of exercise you are going to be clumsy at and some where you just feel comfortable. I am so glad I kept trying until I found something that works for me.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for their replies! I finally mustered up the courage and went to Zumba on Tuesday...

My hips won''t lie, they HURT! But it was definitely fun. There were lots of different levels in the class, and I have a teensy bit of dance experience, so I knew enough of the footwork sequences to not feel like I was completely behind, although there were a few times where my feet definitely weren''t connecting to my brain or where I had to stop and watch to figure out what I was supposed to do. And at the end, I was positively dripping in sweat, but I suppose that''s a good thing! I''m going back next Tues :)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love exercise classes! I''m currently taking kick boxing twice a week. I look ridiculous and am wiped out when it''s done, but it is SO worth it. I''ve found the key to taking classes is losing the fear of looking ridiculous. If you worry about how you look, you won''t get a good workout. If you focus on the movement and really working your muscles you''ll be too wiped out to care what you look like!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with MC, stay away from step/aerobics/anything else with fast coordinated movements wherein you will look like a shmoo if you're not keeping up, at first. That's no way to break yourself in.
4.gif
I've been attending various classes for years and STILL don't have the cojones to take a step class (step's not my thing, anyway, but that's niether here nor there).

Spin is actually a good class for all skill levels because you control your own bike, ie. you control how hard you're working, and there is no way for anyone else to tell how hard you're working. It's a heck of a workout, too, if you're putting forth any effort at all.

The two classes I always take are yoga and pilates. Pilates is all core, and you may go in and feel goofy because you can't do everything right away, but that's kinda the point of classes, right? And anyway there are always people in there like you who are just starting out. Pilates is great for quite a few things, and not too difficult to pick up.

Yoga's my favorite favorite. And again, maybe you can't get into all of the poses at first, but yoga is a practice. Some people are naturally bendy (read: NOT ME), and some others are never able to master certain poses. You just go in and do what you can. If your gym has a class that specifies a slower yoga (ie. maybe "living yoga" but not "power yoga" or "Bikram yoga"), that's a good place to start.

Best of luck! At least try a few classes, whatever sounds good to you, and if you don't like the ones you picked, you don't have to go back.
5.gif

ETA: Oh you went to Zumba! Good start!
36.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
The only "class" I take at the gym is spin. I try to do it once or twice a week, just to keep things interesting/mix it in on days I dont feel like doing a regular cardio workout...Its fun and fast-paced, and I love it! Its such a great workout and I highly recommend it!!
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you tried a class, El!

I used to be a group ex instructor and I taught all kinds of classes, mostly kickboxing and body work classes, though. I just wanted to say don''t be scared to try them! And be sure to tell the instructor you''re new so he or she can look out for you during the class.

I love spinning classes and dance classes. I really want to get into yoga but I can''t help but giggle when the instructor talks to us in a soothing voice about visualizing cliffs and beautiful landscapes--I can''t help it! (And then I get dirty looks from the hard-core class attendees.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results