shape
carat
color
clarity

Examples of passive aggressiveness

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sara, In your example (having DH call in the boys) I don't see you as being PA.

Yes, technically you did not directly tell him what to do.
You expressed what you felt needed to happen and why you could not do it.
A little reasoning was required on his part to deduce that you are asking him to let the boys in.

But (and this is a huge important aspect that is close to this subject) you were being (your version of) polite about it instead of just being direct to the point of ordering him around.

In personal interactions there is a trade off between brevity and politeness.
Being too brief can be viewed as impolite.
My style leans towards brevity, perhaps to a fault.
My partner leans towards longwinded politeness, perhaps to a fault.

Also affecting this is now well we know someone.
He knows I love him, am not mad, and being brief is just my style.
If I was equally brief talking to a stranger or casual acquaintance it would be more rude.

Example: He'll call on the phone and say, "I was driving home and I needed to get some toothpaste so I stopped at Target. I'm still at Target now, and I'll be here for, oh say, 15 minutes, so do you need anything".
I'll just answer in one word, "No".
If you switched the people I'd say, "Hi, I'm at Target do you need anything?
To which he might reply, "Well, we're low on shampoo, but I'd rather get the one at Costco. I can't think of anything right now, but if I do after I hang up I'll call you."
(IMHO all of that was unnecessary. I'd prefer just "No.", but you gotta accept that people vary.)

Our SOs have given us feedback.
I think mine would prefer me to be less brief, and yours would prefer you to be more brief.
I see nothing wrong with accommodating such feedback to some degree.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:19:02 PM
Author: swimmer
GP nailed it.

My MIL personifies this. ''You don''t HAVE to invite any of OUR friends to the event'' she says after noting that only 22 of her friends are on the invite list for a function that can hold 30 people max. For a bridal shower of mine that she was attending she photocopied the invitation and sent it to 11 extra people, and changed one wedding invitation from being for a couple to including their five grown children and their teenage children plus dates. None of these people DH and I had ever met and she knew we had incredible space limitations. I called to ask about the unusual replies I was getting from that family (13 yes instead of 2), she said, ''if you don''t want me to come, if I take up too much space, you can just tell me to skip my son''s wedding.''

Yes, the best way is to politely ask what is meant by a PA statement. This is hard for me as I am not passive at all, but can be pretty darn aggressive!

Oh dear sweet Jesus. And I thought I had the devil for a MIL.

You''re in my prayers.
12.gif
9.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:35:07 PM
Author: HollyS

GP nailed it.

My MIL personifies this. ''You don''t HAVE to invite any of OUR friends to the event'' she says after noting that only 22 of her friends are on the invite list for a function that can hold 30 people max. For a bridal shower of mine that she was attending she photocopied the invitation and sent it to 11 extra people, and changed one wedding invitation from being for a couple to including their five grown children and their teenage children plus dates. None of these people DH and I had ever met and she knew we had incredible space limitations. I called to ask about the unusual replies I was getting from that family (13 yes instead of 2), she said, ''if you don''t want me to come, if I take up too much space, you can just tell me to skip my son''s wedding.''

Yes, the best way is to politely ask what is meant by a PA statement. This is hard for me as I am not passive at all, but can be pretty darn aggressive!

You''re in my prayers.
12.gif
9.gif

Ha! thanks. She also really bugged me to let her know ahead of time when our son''s bris would be. Um, they come 8 days after birth and I had a month left so there was no real way for me to know...so she requested that he be born on a Sunday. To her credit, she seemed fine that he arrived on a Th!
3.gif

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 2:18:59 PM

GP nailed it.

You''re in my prayers.
12.gif
9.gif

Ha! thanks. She also really bugged me to let her know ahead of time when our son''s bris would be. Um, they come 8 days after birth and I had a month left so there was no real way for me to know...so she requested that he be born on a Sunday. To her credit, she seemed fine that he arrived on a Th!
3.gif

LOL! Maybe she will be so kind as to die on a Friday.
11.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Swimmer I''m going to pray for you too....
17.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Swimmer. Prayers outgoing.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
swimmer, it seems you''ve taken the prize of worse MIL on PS! Your husband must be one helluva guy for you to put up with that mess, lol!
41.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 2:18:59 PM

GP nailed it.

You''re in my prayers.
12.gif
9.gif

3.gif

Wow..... just......wow
23.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
The Passive Aggressive Notes site is hilarious. I think it''s best to be blunt yet polite.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree that often people use the term passive-aggressive when they mean manipulative or contrary instead.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2010 5:23:10 PM
Author: oddoneout
I think it''s best to be blunt yet polite.

That made me think of something. . . I''ll bet my SO wishes I was a little PA.
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh deco I loved your post!!!! I was grinning the whole way through. Not long after I came back and read a couple responses here his dad went to bed and he plopped himself beside me and grinned at me and I told him by the way that wasn''t passive aggressive - you can call me naggy but... and he started planting kisses on me over and over as I''m trying to talk. He is so funny!! He irritated me like 3 times yesterday by saying things or saying things in a different way than he normally would. But 20 years ago i would have been livid - now I''m mostly amused. Funny how relationships grow.

BTW you were spot on on all of that stuff - it''s amazing how you can break down just about any comment and turn it into a passive aggressive attack! lol

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Well, how''s THIS for passive aggression:

When we became engaged my sister had a party for us. My mother promptly had HER engagement ring reset just in time for the party! And that''s just one of the nicer things she''s done
32.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 12:41:28 PM
Author: Amber St. Clare
Well, how's THIS for passive aggression:

When we became engaged my sister had a party for us. My mother promptly had HER engagement ring reset just in time for the party! And that's just one of the nicer things she's done
32.gif

I think that's rude, selfish and inconsiderate, but I don't think it's PA.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 3:59:34 PM
Author: lilyfoot
swimmer, it seems you''ve taken the prize of worse MIL on PS! Your husband must be one helluva guy for you to put up with that mess, lol!
41.gif

Ha! I appreciate all the support, but man, I think Allycat or Meresal or Violet would win that contest. Not an enviable contest btw. I mostly ignore her these days or say something snarky in my head and our baby really helps the relationship somehow, but for women who are considering going through life as a PA person do know this; DH ignores his mom. He doesn''t hear her speaking, he smiles and nods and is polite when she needs something done, but he does not have conversations with her. DH doesn''t even notice this! His defense mechanism are so strong he just blocks her out and so they interact on a very superficial level "do you want more pasta?" "yes, please put that on the shelf" that is the extent of their relationship. I used to want DH to defend me or point out how insane her comments are, but who am I to deprive him of a well earned defense system?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results