shape
carat
color
clarity

Evite for a bridal shower?

Would you?

• Maybe, I guess it depends.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No opinion / other / show me the results!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you send an evite for a bridal shower?

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
I said no because I like tradition and being able to keep the invitation as a reminder.

Evites to me are for bbq's and our annual halloween party, not a shower.

I like tradition when it comes to weddings, including the shower. I vetoed my guests at the bridal shower filling out their names on envelopes because I'm the one who compiled the list, I'm the one who should be writing all parts of the thank you card. That's just my humble opinion, but I think it's more special to the invitee to actually receive something rather than to be included on what is technically a mass email.

Don't get me wrong, I love that technology has made things that much easier, but sometimes the easy way isn't the proper way. And, who is to say that all in attendance have email addresses? An 80 year old grandma? Probably not.

ETA: I mean no disrespect to others who chose to do so, whether it's shower or wedding invites. There are lots of reasons to do it and not to do it. Simply my opinion.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 1:12:33 PM
Author: sweetjettagirl04
ETA: I mean no disrespect to others who chose to do so, whether it''s shower or wedding invites. There are lots of reasons to do it and not to do it. Simply my opinion.
For what it''s worth, I think you shared your opinions in a very respectful way
35.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I voted no because even though we now live in a very electronic age, there are some things that should still be done in a more old-fashioned manner. The bride usually doesn''t know about the shower in advance (at least in my family - it''s always a surprise party), and the older relatives are not as electronically advanced. My mom doesn''t have a computer.

I''d send out an e-vite for something casual like a backyard get-together, but not for a shower.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably wouldn''t mind doing e-vites for a bridal shower (since if I have one, it''ll be incredibly low key), EXCEPT, I love stationery WAAAAYYYYY too much to not make my own/scrounge around million paper shops to find the cutest invitations!

It really depends on the ''feel'' of the wedding/bridal shower. If it''s traditional, e-vites are not the way to go. If it''s informal and casual, then I dont see any harm.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it depends how formal the shower is. I think there is a wide range in which an e-vite plus follow up phone calls to grandma are doable. Most of the showers I''ve attended have been held in someone''s home. Nice brunch and pretty outfits etc...but under 30 people or so. So maybe the size has something to do with it? It is a cost saving method that isn''t likely to be thought to heavily about by guests.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I said, "Maybe" because in theory I would send an evite, but in practice I love stationery too much to let an opportunity to go paper-shopping pass me by.

But I wouldn't judge someone for choosing to use or not to use paper or evites or messages in bottles or personal messenger or . . .

ETA: my sister emailed everyone who's invited to my shower and then followed up with paper invitations! I thought it was a nice balance between instant communication and pretty paper.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 1:32:01 PM
Author: mayachel
I guess it depends how formal the shower is. I think there is a wide range in which an e-vite plus follow up phone calls to grandma are doable. Most of the showers I''ve attended have been held in someone''s home. Nice brunch and pretty outfits etc...but under 30 people or so. So maybe the size has something to do with it? It is a cost saving method that isn''t likely to be thought to heavily about by guests.

Ditto.

As a guest to a shower, I think I might actually prefer the evite. It would be there in my inbox whenever I need it and you get those nifty reminders. Plus, it''s less of a burden on the people throwing the shower if they''re on a budget and you get quicker RSVPs that way.

If you''re having a formal shower, a paper invite might be more appropriate though.

I kind of pick and choose with tradition though. I''m not a do it just for tradition''s sake type girl.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
i think it depends on who is invited.I''m in law school and recently went to a baby shower where it was just law students invited. I felt like an evite for this type of event would have been fine. If you have parents, parents'' friends, or people from lots of different groups I would say go with paper. It may also depend on whether you expect gifts at the shower. If its more of lets get some girls together for a "shower" but its really just them taking the bride to lunch and everyone getting to hang out with the excuse that its a shower, then evite all you want. I guess the more traditional the shower, the more traditional invite method.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I voted no that I wouldn''t send an e-vite for a wedding shower. I love getting mail and having it as a reminder for/of the event. However, if I received an evite for a shower I wouldn''t be offended or think anything negative about it. I just personally wouldn''t send it because (although I am HORRIBLE at getting things mailed out) I love to mail letters and things. It''s more traditional and even feels a bit more personal then an email. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope!

ETA: I save stuff. I like being all sentimental about that kind of stuff.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 3:28:58 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Nope!

ETA: I save stuff. I like being all sentimental about that kind of stuff.
Me too!! I feel like a packrat sometimes. I save stuff for the scrapbooking I will probably never do.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I voted "maybe". If it were a really awesome pool party shower, then I think an e-vite would be great!!
28.gif
I''m with everyone else though, I love using stationery, and I don''t get many chances, so most of the time, I would probably opt for that.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I voted no, because I thought about it from the stance where I was hosting the shower...since brides don''t send their own shower invites...

For me, if I were hosting, I would want it to be lavish...and formal.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I voted yes. I know it''s not "proper" but things are SO digital/electronic these days the best thing to do is to get a eVite that will pop directly into your calendar/Outlook/google calendar. I can''t wait until the stigma of electronic invites for weddings and wedding-related events is gone... Remember when it was a faux paus to use mailing labels for invites? Looky-looky now Martha Stewart...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to it depends on the type of shower/wedding/bride.

For example, if the shower is at the country club, and it''s a "china shower" (I didn''t know about these until about a year ago - guests give a cash gift and the host buys as much china from the registry as she can with the total amt), an e-vite would seem...strange, just because it doesn''t fit with the formality of the event.

But if it''s a casual cookies and punch shower in someone''s home, or as others have mentioned, it''s a fun event with some sort of theme like a bbq, pool party, at a bowling alley, etc, then shoot, the e-vite doesn''t seem out of place at all, because everything else (attire, choice of gift) is a lot more varied and isn''t dictated by the level of formality of the invite.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 5:49:35 PM
Author: Elmorton
But if it's a casual cookies and punch shower in someone's home, or as others have mentioned, it's a fun event with some sort of theme like a bbq, pool party, at a bowling alley, etc, then shoot, the e-vite doesn't seem out of place at all, because everything else (attire, choice of gift) is a lot more varied and isn't dictated by the level of formality of the invite.
I think that's the biggest thing for me - how would one know how to dress? If the evite only says something generic like, "Join us for Jane's bridal shower, here is where she's registered: linkylinkeroo" how is one to interpret the expected attire?

Personally, I would assume that the invitation being sent via evite in and of itself would tell me "extremely casual" (jeans/tshirt). But since it's unknown territory, I'd probably call and ask, and subsequently feel silly for having to ask what to wear
3.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
See, I''d read Evite = casual - I think you''d be fine in khakis/casual slacks and a nice shirt. But this is also one of those regional things, probably - that''s the dress code for pretty much every bridal shower in my area. I''d only dress up more if the location was a typically formal location.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I also mean no disrespect, but in spite of the fact that I''m generally a pretty no-frills person about stuff like that, and use evites for just about everything else, it just seems to me that its not appropriate for a bridal shower.

But of course, within reason, people should do what they feel is best for them/their weddings, and this doesn''t strike me as a massive faux pas or anything.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t send an e-vite for a shower I was throwing, but you know me and my love of stationery! I love a good excuse to send a beautiful card to someone.

That being said, I was momentarily HORRIFIED when I saw the shower invites and the rehearsal dinner invites that DH''s side sent out. They were really awful, but of course, I had no control over either of them so I let it go immediately. And to be honest, I haven''t thought about either since until just now.

Still, I''d much prefer to send out a real, paper invitation.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I think it really depends on the bride (or couple). For example, I don''t really want a bridal shower (though I''m in favor of a co-ed shower if we must have one) and I''d prefer that e-vites be sent if one happens. Eco-friendliness and all that. One of my best friends, on the other hand, is super-traditional and has very. set. ideas. about how things should be. She''d probably have a heart attack if e-vites were used for her shower. I''d hope that whoever is throwing the shower would know the bride/couple well enough to decide what is appropriate for her/their style.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
If I were hosting, I would definitely not send an e-vite for a bridal shower. I really like sending things out, and I think it''s fun to get a paper invitation once in a while. It makes it feel like a really special party! For all the showers I''ve been to lately (including my own last weekend), I''ve received a paper invite.

It''s interesting to think about the dress codes in different areas and social groups. For any shower I attend, I can guarantee my friends and I will be all gussied up in sundresses and strappy sandals (or winter dresses, tights, and pumps if it fits the season). Sometimes we''re a little overdressed for Colorado (Land of the North Face Fleece), but we''ll take any excuse to wear our party clothes! For me, paper invite means I get to dress up, which I love.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I voted no for pretty well all the reasons listed above :).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results