shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever had a girl crush?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
No not in that way DF
3.gif
My friends and I were talking in college about this today as it was in the college magazine. Basically they described it as feelings of admiration and adoration which a girl has for another girl, without wanting to sleep with said girl. Apparently it''s all the rage now! I don''t think that I''ve had one-there have been times when I would have killed for a girls hair or to have legs like hers instead of mine, but don''t think it would be worthy of the crush title. So anyone ever had one?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oh hell yeah - I think I had a girl crush on half of my younger female professors when I was a student. They still crop up, but I can''t really think of anyone off the top of my head right now.

One of the things that I learned from a close friend is that it is OK to simply admire/compliment other women - I don''t have to think less of myself or compare myself to appreciate great qualities in another person, regardless of gender. I think it''s sad that this is something that I had to LEARN - I think it''s very natural for women to compare instead of "crush."

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not since middle school/high school. there are very few women worth admiring in college.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Crush, nah... but I will fully admit to others if I think a woman has nice feature.

I don''t think I''d ever post multiple pictures of a woman on my wall and gaze at her all day
2.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I love Kate Walsh... and FI approves!!
31.gif
30.gif

I''ve met stars before and I know I would stumble over my words in front of her.
(Ok... I have officially shared too much on PS.)

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Yvonne Strahovski from Chuck.

Sigh.

I just want to follow her around like a puppy dog. Especially when she breaks out her accent.

yvonne-strahovski-square.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plenty! I call them friend crushes, though
1.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
yep... I''ve got a handful of them. Catherine Zeta-Jones is at the top of my list though... she is criminally beautiful and I wish I had her accent!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always have girl crushes! I get way more girl crushes than boy crushes, to be quite honest. Some are on friends, some are on celebrities, some are on random cute girls with great style that I see around town!

One of my celeb girl crushes is Agyness Dean. LOVE HER.

04m.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girl crush??? i hope so.
31.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember one back when I around 15 & away at arts camp. She was the prettiest girl I''d ever seen in person & so nice & I just loved hanging out with her. But I''d also feel a little *weird* around her. Like maybe I was *staring* a bit too much. Another awkward chapter in an awkward adolescence. No sexytime feelings ... more like I wanted to *be* her or if I studied her enough I could figure out what gave her the "it" factor. I later had an evil boss who was arguably a breathtaking beauty (as well as an equal opportunity flirt). I was fascinated by her too ... like what *is* it about her?... but that wasn''t a crush AT ALL. I pretty much LOATHED her. But I did pick up a trick or two from my careful study of her feminine wiles. I just realized that actually. Maybe both of them helped me tap into parts of myself I hadn''t yet learned to wield effectively.
3.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Edit, I checked the dictionary and I was wrong.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Yes, there are a lot of women that I admire - some for their personality, some for their looks, some for their career accomplishments....the list goes on!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 8:24:39 PM
Author: decodelighted
I remember one back when I around 15 & away at arts camp. She was the prettiest girl I''d ever seen in person & so nice & I just loved hanging out with her. But I''d also feel a little *weird* around her. Like maybe I was *staring* a bit too much. Another awkward chapter in an awkward adolescence. No sexytime feelings ... more like I wanted to *be* her or if I studied her enough I could figure out what gave her the ''it'' factor. I later had an evil boss who was arguably a breathtaking beauty (as well as an equal opportunity flirt). I was fascinated by her too ... like what *is* it about her?... but that wasn''t a crush AT ALL. I pretty much LOATHED her. But I did pick up a trick or two from my careful study of her feminine wiles. I just realized that actually. Maybe both of them helped me tap into parts of myself I hadn''t yet learned to wield effectively.
3.gif

LMAO...I had a counselor like that at camp! She was stunning and everyone loved her...I wanted to be her so badly!

Ummmm I have a girl crush on Beyonce. Sasha Fierce or no, I think she is gorgeous, well-spoken and talented.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I can recall...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...nope. Too busy having crushes on the boys!!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I'm with you, *bee -- every once in awhile I'll see a woman who is really charismatic or sassy or chic, and it makes me want to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how I can fix it to be like that. I don't think I've ever been that deeply fascinated by a particular woman as to call it a "crush," though.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. When I was in grade 5 or 6, there was this girl in grade 11 that I REALLY admired. I loved her confidence and the grace she carried herself with, and I really wanted to grow to be more like her. I was teased for being a ''lesbo'' for a very long time! Still wish clumsy ol'' me had that natural serene Grace Kelly thing going
9.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could be like Rachel McAdams or Christina Agiulera when she was in her pinup-1940''s stage.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Like Oprah and Gayle?
31.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i went to an all girls high school, and i was a senior prefect and also the leader of the largest social club in the school which comprised just over 10% of the entire student body and crossed all grades/years. as such i was often called on to be the student rep at functions, speak on behalf of the student body, and so on. occasionally senior prefects would be asked to take care of junior classes while the school was waiting for a substitute teacher to arrive for said class if their regular teacher was away. as a result, i pretty much always had younger girls who had crushes on me. i never took it to mean anything, but i always made a point of being kind to them and interested in them (to an extent).

i''ve noticed, tho, over the last 10 years that there''s been a cultural shift in the way girls in their teenage years up to their very early 20''s interact with each other. without there necessarily being a sexual element, there is a culture these days of girls of that age being more affectionate, more physical, and using more sexual terminology with each other. my 17 yr old niece and her friends, for example, often refer to each other as looking sexy or as being sexy. in fact, their conversations on their facebook pages for example, make my hair curl somewhat.

i think in general, these days, that the sexual onslaught from the media and current culture in general makes sexual development a much more public experience than it ever was in decades past, and things that were never sexualized in the past are sexualized now, even if only in their terminology. i think the girl crush thing is often a way girls use to keep their developing sexuality within platonic boundaries (terminology notwithstanding), and merges the current trend to sexualize EVERYTHING (!!) with the normal developmental desire at a certain age not to look beyond one''s own gender for significant relationships or role models. the term ''crush'' these days is not that different to the way it was used back in the 30''s, 40''s and 50''s, particularly in british culture. if you read schoolgirl books from that period, the term is common and decidedly non-sexual. it was used to denote an obsession with a member of one''s own sex which was generally most akin to hero worship and was seen to be pretty normal as well as pretty harmless.

i think the term has been resurrected with a slightly more sexual feel (cause goodness knows, we''ve included a sexual twist in every frigging thing these days!)....but in the end is still pretty much the same; platonic adoration + hero worship.

sigh. i think my academic background is showing.... sorry folks!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 12:12:59 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Hmm...nope. Too busy having crushes on the boys!!
lol same here!
9.gif

Margot

Rough_Rock
When I was in college, I worked at one of the campus restaurants. When I was stationed at the salad bar, the most beautiful girl would come in almost every day. I was fascinated by how every day she looked gorgeous and she never had the same look. Her hair, makeup, and clothing would always be different but she always looked fabulous. She may not have been a supermodel, but she was always so put together. Maybe I admire that in women because I never feel like I look "put together." I can''t get up early enough! I also, of course, admire women successful in their career...something else I yearn for.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I definitely think girls have a more open attitude about this. It can be based on looks, or intellect, or a combination. And yes, me and my friends call each other sexy. I''ve got several of these too. Mostly stars, but some of my friends as well. Keira Knightly comes to mind

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock

Not necessarily a crush, but I have this girlfriend who is beautiful, outgoing, and so smart!

She''s a cheerleader, a teacher; she does a lot of community service, works out all the time but always eats burgers & looks good. She also has a big heart and soul! She''s not selfish; I mean she''s just so admirable!

Not to mention she was a wonderful boyfriend and all the boys love her! I don’t blame them!
emwink.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I know I''ve had plenty...there were girls that I just thought were so cool that I actually wanted to BE them or at least be around them as much as possible, but mainly they were just random friends. I do distinctly remember a falling out with one of these girls, and when we stopped hanging out I seriously felt like I was going through a break up because I had spent so much time talking to/hanging out with this girl!

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
definitely, haha!

one girl in high school and one in college... and of course i''ve drooled over gorgeous celebrities.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oh my god yes. Natascha McElhone is my latest. It''s not that I want to sleep with her. It''s just that I want to be around her all the time. Or be her!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I get little tiny girl crushes anytime I see women who exude great confidence. I''m in awe when I see a strong lookin'' lady struttin'' her stuff!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm with musey. They're friend crushes in my world.

I'm an equal opportunity friend crusher.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results