shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever done a colon cleanse? On purpose?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I have a close friend of mine that seriously changed her life around by eating better and becoming a Zumba class addict. She started this transformation with a colon cleanse and I am contemplating doing the same thing. I need to make permanent changes in my lifestyle to get this weight off and become more healthy. Anyway, the method she chose was Dr. Natura''s http://www.drnatura.com and she said she had incredible results. **Be forewarned, there are some images on the site that are not for the weak stomached!**
Have any of you tried a colon cleanse? Am I nuts for considering this?
40.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I would be really interested in that. I "apparently" have IBS. My cousin also has digestive issues. I would be really interested in the results but those pictures are scary! I would freak out if that came out of me! If you do it, please let us know how it goes...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be nervous to mess up the ph balance in your stomach; how is it not like a laxative? I am curious. Did your friend say she had to run to the bathroom?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is most definitely a laxative.

I don''t think anyone''s body passed that nasty looking thing on the site. I think that was created for shock value. Most likely the stuff is a laxative with other stuff in it that bulk up once inside you, which you then pass. It looks all sorts of weird when you do pass it.

Your body doesn''t need intestinal detox, ever. It''s a perfect machine, designed to "cover the bases" with how it expels toxins. If you''re constipated, try eating more fiber and drinking more water. Alternately, if you eat really healthily, and you eat very little fat, you need to eat some fat to get things moving. Otherwise you could develop diverticulitis which isn''t fun to have.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
She said that her bathroom visits were increased, but she was in control if you know what I mean. There was one testimonial on the site where a guy''s wife was hesitant to start the detox because she has a long commute and didn''t want to be stuck in traffic and have a problem. This is one of the things holding me back... I''m in the car for 2 hours a day!
HH, your post is very interesting. I never thought of it that way. Could the powder and tea build up and create those monstrosities on that site? It did look a bit incredulous, but my friend definitely said she had similar movements, just not to the extent of what was on the site. I''m not constipated, but I do have bouts of IBS every now and then, usually a result of coffee + too much acidity or dairy. My diet is not the best and I was thinking something like this would be a good way to jump start a change. I tend to be an extremist with an all or nothing mentality which is partly why I fail at diets...kinda fits with considering this sort of thing, huh?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you are nuts, but, is it really necessary for you? I''d say if you are already "regular", then purchasing this cleanse won''t be that beneficial to you. All these cleanses seem to be are glorified laxatives. If you do decide on this, be careful to drink plenty of water, as you don''t want to become dehydrated.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:51:19 AM
Author: PaulaW
She said that her bathroom visits were increased, but she was in control if you know what I mean. There was one testimonial on the site where a guy's wife was hesitant to start the detox because she has a long commute and didn't want to be stuck in traffic and have a problem. This is one of the things holding me back... I'm in the car for 2 hours a day!
HH, your post is very interesting. I never thought of it that way. Could the powder and tea build up and create those monstrosities on that site? It did look a bit incredulous, but my friend definitely said she had similar movements, just not to the extent of what was on the site. I'm not constipated, but I do have bouts of IBS every now and then, usually a result of coffee + too much acidity or dairy. My diet is not the best and I was thinking something like this would be a good way to jump start a change. I tend to be an extremist with an all or nothing mentality which is partly why I fail at diets...kinda fits with considering this sort of thing, huh?
Well how about adding a natural cleansing like eating more fiber (broccoli, carrots, raspberries, blueberries, etc) instead of chemicals because this might be chemicals they use. I read somewhere that laxatives are addictive and if you mess with your bodies natural cleansing system it makes it difficult to have a bm? Just thinking outloud here. Also what about taking something like http://www.benefiber.com/ to keep you regular? Just a thought.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:28:25 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
It is most definitely a laxative.

I don''t think anyone''s body passed that nasty looking thing on the site. I think that was created for shock value. Most likely the stuff is a laxative with other stuff in it that bulk up once inside you, which you then pass. It looks all sorts of weird when you do pass it.

Your body doesn''t need intestinal detox, ever. It''s a perfect machine, designed to ''cover the bases'' with how it expels toxins. If you''re constipated, try eating more fiber and drinking more water. Alternately, if you eat really healthily, and you eat very little fat, you need to eat some fat to get things moving. Otherwise you could develop diverticulitis which isn''t fun to have.

I agree with everything said here, especially the bolded part.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done one and a half with a few of my friends. We did a blog about our day to day experiences if you want to read it.

We didn''t do the Dr. Natura one, but we did one called Blessed Herbs and one that we got from Whole Foods. The Whole Foods one everyone kinda fell off half way through. The Blessed Herbs one is pretty well documented etc.

Yes we did pass all that weird looking stuff during the Blessed Herbs cleanse.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone at work is doing this but me. Mayo Clinic advises against it. The colon naturally cleanses itself and there is no gunk buildup as advertised. Ever watch a video of a colonoscopy? Nice clean, pink intestine.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy, I eat fruit pretty frequently, but not as much veggies as I should. I think your idea of a fiber supplement is better than the cleanse.
lliang, thank you for the link, I will check it out!
April, you make a very good point about the colonoscopy...
Thank you all, you''ve been very helpful!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I'm too scared to click the link, so will take your word about the 'weird stuff' in the photos!!!
Personally (and how can it not be personal??!!) I think the best thing for colon health and support would be Psyllium Husk.

Just a teaspoon a day mixed in a smallish amount of juice or water, with a chaser glass of water to follow (the packet recommends twice that amount of the psyllium for a laxative effect) is a great bowel support and it has fantastic effects on cholesterol levels in the blood, as well.

If you have had a long period of stress, and your bowel habits are all over the place (eg very regular constipation, or you've been relying on laxatives for a long time) taking this small dose every day for a few months can really help retrain the bowel, so that it regains full strength and regularity, not needing any support, over the long term.

It is also very gentle, so that if you do not overdose, it will not be harsh or clogging in any way. I keep it on hand to give it to my kids when they have troubles on the potty!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Also wanted to add the Dr. Natura & the Blessed Herbs & the Whole Foods kit was mostly Psyllium husk as Lara said, which is a natural fiber.

Paula, in the blog, the 2007 year has the first kit we did, Blessed Herbs, and we were much more vigilant about recording the experience.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW, Psyllium is a proven flatulent, so if that''s your problem you had best stay away.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:12:11 PM
BTW, Psyllium is a proven flatulent, so if that''s your problem you had best stay away.
LOL!
21.gif
How come I never noticed that, in the times that I''ve taken it myself?!
25.gif
27.gif
32.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re lucky??

I know it''s a selling point of the other types of fiber/lax products on the market. (Try us, psyllium will make you fart!)

Maybe it''s in the amount you take? I mean, any massive increase in fiber without water to flush it through is going to make you gassy.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with HH - your body is designed to cleanse itself, and these types of commercial "colon cleansers" can have serious negative side effects because they disrupt your natural intestinal flora, which is what supports the immune system in your intestines, the largest mucosal surface in your body (meaning it is exposed to the most harmful bacteria, and destroying/altering the balance of the healthy bacteria that''s normally there can allow the bad stuff to grow more easily).

Ditto Skippy too - anyone can benefit from increasing the natural fiber in their diet, although a gradual increase is best if you''re not used to it. If you have trouble eating enough veggies, try buying pre-cut ones, and then all you have to do is a quick saute in a pan or even steam in the microwave.

ALso, for those of you with IBS, I would particularly caution against doing something like this. IBS can be extremely serious, and disrupting the natural balance of flora in your intestines could make you more prone to serious consequences of the disease, including ulcerations - not pretty! And FYI, this is all per a gastroenterologist who used to work in my lab - it drove him nuts when patients took it upon themselves to do things like this and ended up doing damage or getting nasty side effects.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cleanse twice per month using Isagenix products which I found out about on another jewelry discussion board. Their stuff is gentle and works really well. I feel better than ever since I started cleansing. Yesterday I was surprised and delighted, when I went for a doctor visit, to see that she is carrying some of the products including the cleanse.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 1:02:15 PM
Author: AprilBaby
Everyone at work is doing this but me. Mayo Clinic advises against it. The colon naturally cleanses itself and there is no gunk buildup as advertised. Ever watch a video of a colonoscopy? Nice clean, pink intestine.

Prior a colonoscopy they make you cleanse & fast to clean out your intestines.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do it unless recommended by your doctor/medically necessary. I found this site which pretty much summed up what I read a few years ago when I was almost convinced by those nasty photos.

It sounds like you are just looking for a symbolic/meaningful way to start your new journey. How about cutting up your "fat pants," or throwing away all the junk in your fridge and pantry and replenishing it with good stuff? How about subscribing to EatingWell or Cooking Light? Or finding a photo that you think is really unflattering and "saying goodbye" to that person? I think you can kickstart your transformation via other, less dubious means.

Two years ago I started eating healthy and exercising. Before that, I had difficult bowel movements frequently, sometimes with bleeding. Now I eat less red meat, more fruits, veggies, fish, and nuts, and I try to avoid processed and fried food as much as possible. Now (well, when I'm not pregnant and taking an anti-nausea medication that causes constipation) my trips to the bathroom are smooth sailing. I congratulate myself regularly on how easy and regular they are. I think you need to change what you put into your body and how often you move your body, and it will take care of what's already in your body just as nature intended. Your friend has transformed her life because of what's she continued to do -- exercising and eating right -- not because of some quick fix or jump start.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 8:59:24 AM
You''re lucky??

I know it''s a selling point of the other types of fiber/lax products on the market. (Try us, psyllium will make you fart!)

Maybe it''s in the amount you take? I mean, any massive increase in fiber without water to flush it through is going to make you gassy.

Wouldn''t all laxative products, that are trying to get a ''lazy'' bowel moving, actually make you fart, because it''s basically shaking up the intestine a bit? I mean, if you are constipated, don''t you fart anyway?
33.gif

Anyway something for me to ponder in a quiet moment!
3.gif

I''m totally sold on the stuff as the safest and best ''fibre-enhancer'' in the diet, anyway... and as a laxative, if it ever comes to that!
It''s not really the nicest stuff to take, though...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
PS ''The Lemon Detox'' is making big waves over here... according to its advertising, anyway!!
If I ''believed'' in detox / felt like it - please note, I do not have any tummy troubles - I would probably choose this one...
I just googled it and there''s a whole list of webpages for an against it (I guess a lot of the ''anti guys are anti detoxing in general), so I won''t post the link...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:30:00 PM
Author: Matata

True, but respectfully, its not the same thing, and its not done on such a frequent basis either - its done for medical reasons only, infrequently, and using products that are strictly regulated by the FDA. Additionally, if you have any medical conditions that would make it dangerous, your Dr. can advise you to do it differently or not at all, which is not the case with something that is medically unsupervised.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 10:53:45 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Date: 4/16/2009 7:30:00 PM

Author: Matata

True, but respectfully, its not the same thing, and its not done on such a frequent basis either - its done for medical reasons only, infrequently, and using products that are strictly regulated by the FDA. Additionally, if you have any medical conditions that would make it dangerous, your Dr. can advise you to do it differently or not at all, which is not the case with something that is medically unsupervised.

As someone who had a colonoscopy at age 25, I don''t know why anyone would EVER want to go through the process of colo prep (or digestive detox of any kind). Seriously, it was the most hellish thing I''ve gone through (medically) in my life.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Don''t the hollywood crowd get colon irrigation therapy (even vitamin infused!!!!) before a ''roooolly important appearance before the fanz''?
9.gif
21.gif

It''s meant to put a spring in your step!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
stick (tube) in the butt=a spring in your step???

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 1:01:50 PM
stick (tube) in the butt=a spring in your step???

erm... should we just let this thread die now?
21.gif
ROTFL
9.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
LOL... you guys are so funny!
Phoenix, your post really resonated with me. I think your ideas are really good... I may do a before photoshoot, have a good cry, and then get my butt (no pun intended
3.gif
) in gear.
Thank you all for your input!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 12:15:58 PM
Author: PaulaW
LOL... you guys are so funny!
Phoenix, your post really resonated with me. I think your ideas are really good... I may do a before photoshoot, have a good cry, and then get my butt (no pun intended
3.gif
) in gear.
Thank you all for your input!
You can do it!!! You should join the Healthy Lifestyle thread; we are a huge support system for each other! The more the merrier
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to try one, so I got some pills at GNC that are two steps - "Colon Cleanse" & "Total Body Purifier" or something like that. I honestly haven''t seen that much of a difference (I''m about one week in). My husband had done one a while back that was powder mixed into drinks, and he said that it was very effective. I didn''t realize that I had gotten the worng kind (only pills) until I got home & opened the box
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results