shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating darkness in a stone?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying to learn more about diamonds (contemplating a purchase) but I am confused regarding dark areas.
How do I know if it goes dark because of poor cut or because it's an ideal cut (that goes dark in direct light)?
And what's the difference if it goes dark either way?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no an expert, but my understanding is a poorly cut diamond won't go dark in the sun, but appear lighter because of leakage. When an ideal diamond does go dark in the sun, you will see lots of fire coming from it. Hopefully others who know more will chime in.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So confusing lol

I agree! I know you need some contrast. If you think about a well cut MRB, you will see pleasing patterns in the scintillation. Think about the dark arrows and hearts images that we see on here. You want them to be symmetrical and balanced. I think it's harder with other shapes though. I don't really look for anything too specific, just what pleases me. So yeah, I'm no help at all. Lol

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah i am looking at pears for earrings & idk how i could buy online.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm saving for a new emerald cut, and I think I'm going to use Jonathan of Distinctive Gem. I think it will be easier for him to vet stones for me.

Please share when you find your diamonds. I'm sure they'll be gorgeous.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good Diamonds go darker in sunlight if that is what you mean?
This article explains it with photos:

More generally in various lighting types -the main issue is do dark zones stay dark through a range of motions - or go bright dark bright and make the diamond beautiful .

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The sunlight thing is going to happen.
The show will be on things around it if there are any rather than at the diamond.
What is more important is how it reacts to obstruction with movement and varying distance.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I'm saving for a new emerald cut, and I think I'm going to use Jonathan of Distinctive Gem. I think it will be easier for him to vet stones for me.

Please share when you find your diamonds. I'm sure they'll be gorgeous.

Oh i looked at his site too & was considering asking him! I just never bought online & am very nervous about the process.
I'm sorry @Karl_K i didn't quite understand what you wrote.
@Garry H (Cut Nut) yes i was referring to that issue w ideal cuts.
But ppl say that poorly cut diamonds aren't bright so i am not clear on the difference.
And i know pears can have bowties or crushed ice look which i don't really like.

UghSheGiggin

Rough_Rock
From what I understand, pear and oval shape cuts are susceptible to the "bow tie" effect. These are dark patches that resemble a bow tie because light gets trapped and didn't return to the eye. A smaller bow tie is preferred in these cuts, but is impossible to avoid altogether.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm trying to learn more about diamonds (contemplating a purchase) but I am confused regarding dark areas.
How do I know if it goes dark because of poor cut or because it's an ideal cut (that goes dark in direct light)?
And what's the difference if it goes dark either way?

There are Dark Zones and Dead Zones. Dead Zones are Dark zones that are still Dark during significant a diamond tilting ( for example 5 degree and more).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
From what I understand, pear and oval shape cuts are susceptible to the "bow tie" effect. These are dark patches that resemble a bow tie because light gets trapped and didn't return to the eye. A smaller bow tie is preferred in these cuts, but is impossible to avoid altogether.

You are the dark bowtie.
Take a sheet of copy paper, poke a hole in it and peek thru - the bowtie disappears.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Direct sunlight is not flattering to diamonds in general. The light is harsh and directional and accentuates contrast and obstruction. Your pupils also close down complicating the observation. But from a distance well cut diamonds can often look impressive, especially if they have proportions that promote fire.

Diffuse daylight (e.g. outdoors on a cloudy day) is an environment where you can really appreciate overall brightness. A well cut stone will return almost all the light that enters it and appears illuminated from edge to edge. Unfortunately, fire is suppressed in that environment.

A well cut diamond reveals its full range of possibilities as you move through life and different lighting environments, and will look beautiful more often than less well cut diamonds.

UghSheGiggin

Rough_Rock
You are the dark bowtie.
Take a sheet of copy paper, poke a hole in it and peek thru - the bowtie disappears.

Oh I never knew that! Thanks! Now I will go look at my mom's pear e-ring!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I tried looking at dozens of pears online and i am so confused.
I loved the pears i saw a year or two ago in real life, but on the computer screen not so much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results