shape
carat
color
clarity

European Cut ...... Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tuna

Rough_Rock
I am inquiring about a 2.35ct diamond of vs1 quality with a color L-M that is a European Cut ( is that the same as a mine cut ?)..... I have not found any stones on the internet to compare it to or evaluate its rarity and value and would appreciate any thoughts on this stone.
Thanks
Chas

tuna

Rough_Rock
Here is a pic of the diamond that i described in the earlier post.

PDRM0063 (3).JPG

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
OEC and OMC are not the same - see pic.

You might try www.pricescope.com to see comparables.

Regards,

OECOMCcomposit.JPG

tuna

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the clarification on this ... I appreciate your response... I checked pricescope and found nothing close on the cut or color but I will check again ....
Thank you
chas

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check www.diamondwholesale.cc as they have a very large inventory of old mine cut and old european cut stones. It will help with your price comparisons. Also, I'm sure you already know this but L/M color in a diamond will be light yellow--not white.

The older cuts are very beautiful, OEC's are somewhat like the precursor to modern round brilliants but with most times with smaller tables and larger culets (you can see the culet through the table normally). The old cuts have great personalities. I found a great diagram on a site recently that showed somewhat the differences, but it is not here at home. I ran a bunch of searches on Google with things such as 'Difference Mine Cut European Cut' and saw what it came up with.

Also www.faycullen.com sells many old stones in replica antique or true antique settings, her diamonds are similar to the one you mentioned, she has many of them. That may also help with pricing or you may see a ring you love. Good luck!

2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the chart I was referring to. Note the OEC's small table and larger culet...also someone else posted today regarding OEC cuts as well, you may want to keep a watch on that thread to see if other info is imparted by those such as old miner etc..who know more about the old stones. Good luck!

rose european chart.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Charles, my gut instinct is that you could pick up diamonds similar to this in the $4000-4500 price range, give or take.

That's really a rough estimate. A visual inspection by an independent gemologist would fine tune it somewhat.

tuna

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara

tuna

Rough_Rock
Thanks Richard .... I had it appraised at a local jeweler at over 13K but I thought that sounded a little high..

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Just a tad.

You can pick up modern cut stones of similar quality in the $6500 to $7900 range. An Old European Cut such as you've got pictured there can usually be bought at about 35% less than a similar modern cut stone.

A lot of it would depend on whether the stone is an "L" or an "M". There's quite a price difference between the two. From the picture, my feeling is that the stone probably heads more in the "M" direction than the "L".

tuna

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rich.. Thank you for the information..... I think you probably know what you are talking about and I do appreciate your input....
Chas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results