shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity from Cartier or VC

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
I hope everyone's having a lovely Saturday.

I was hoping to get your opinions; I have a milestone Birthday coming up and hubby has offered to get me a present.

I've always loved the Cartier Destinee eternity band, I've tried it on and it's the most comfortable band I've come across. I also like the four prong-per-stone design. I feel like the stones would be more secure.

The band is within my budget for this present, but I know it's expensive for a 1.35 tcw band. I have a quote from VC for much less and I know his work is superb.

I don't have any Cartier pieces and I have a soft spot for the brand. Should I pay the Cartier premium for this particular piece, (knowing that it's something I will wear every day and will bring me pleasure) or go with VC? I know this is a band I will wear almost every day. Will the quality of the melee be better with VC? Will the craftmanship be better?

Thank you for your thoughts =)2

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
You might want to change this post to the rocky talky section instead of hang out. in rocky talky you will get more traffic. :) ask the moderator to move your post to rocky talky???

It is a really nice dilemma that you have.

Questions to ask yourself :
1) what would you say to your self if you got the VC eternity and it was very much like the cartier piece?
2) What would you say if you got the VC eternity and it wasnt like the cartier- it could be better or it could be worse than cartier feel to the ring?

IF you say, damn i still wish for that cartier- then you would have the answer :)
You say that you have the budget for Cartier :) :appl:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have zero experience with Cartier, but my initial thought would be how much say would you have in your diamonds and band with them? If you would be buying something that’s premade, would you question the quality of the stones?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have zero experience with Cartier, so I cannot speak to that; however, I have 6 bands from Victor at this point and every single one of them is exquisite. The quality of his craftsmanship is out of this world, so I would recommend Victor in a heartbeat, hands down. However, if you have your heart set on the Cartier brand per se, that is something you would need to decide before taking the plunge.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope everyone's having a lovely Saturday.

I was hoping to get your opinions; I have a milestone Birthday coming up and hubby has offered to get me a present.

I've always loved the Cartier Destinee eternity band, I've tried it on and it's the most comfortable band I've come across. I also like the four prong-per-stone design. I feel like the stones would be more secure.

The band is within my budget for this present, but I know it's expensive for a 1.35 tcw band. I have a quote from VC for much less and I know his work is superb.

I don't have any Cartier pieces and I have a soft spot for the brand. Should I pay the Cartier premium for this particular piece, (knowing that it's something I will wear every day and will bring me pleasure) or go with VC? I know this is a band I will wear almost every day. Will the quality of the melee be better with VC? Will the craftmanship be better?

Thank you for your thoughts =)2

Yes, buy the Cartier eternity! The reasons why are bolded in your post above.

And, FWIW, while without a doubt the VC band would be beautiful and top quality, you already know the Cartier eternity meets your needs and preferences and budget. From what you say, this diamond band would be worn so often it would be well worth the cost for you to have what you really want ... and Cartier pieces stand the test of time ... why go elsewhere?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much less is the VC piece and what would you buy with the balance lololol

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
How much less is the VC piece and what would you buy with the balance lololol

Excellent question. The VC band is around 30% less, plus not having to pay sales tax. I could get another coveted piece with the savings. I could even go for a Cartier tank with the savings

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Excellent question. The VC band is around 30% less, plus not having to pay sales tax. I could get another coveted piece with the savings. I could even go for a Cartier tank with the savings

That's another way of looking at it.
But you have to be convinced in your heart that that's what you really want to do. Otherwise you'll still be wanting the Cartier ring, in spite of getting all the other bling.
Sometimes having more is good, sometimes we want less but we want a SPECIFIC object.
In the latter case, all the other things we get don't make up for the ONE thing we wanted, but didn't get.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a signed piece to have a signed piece's look. An eternity Is generic looking. Get a VC and then get your tank. 2 for the price of 1.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What’s the return policy on the Cartier band? Can you buy it and live with it to see if you have any issues with regret (due to cost)? I know I have made a big purchase and within 48 hours realized I didn’t feel comfortable having spent that amount of money on that particular item.

You could buy the Cartier and if by any chance you had second thoughts, you’d have VC as your backup.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like some high end designer pieces. But if I were buying Cartier, it would be one of their unique items like a Love bracelet, a piece from the Trinity or Orchid lines, etc. I'd never buy a generic diamond piece from a high end designer. You're paying dearly for the brand but the piece isn't even recognizable as Cartier. I'd get the band from Victor (and if you want 4 prongs, he'd likely make it for you), and then get a Orchid/Trinity/Love pendant or something with the left over money!

Oh, and I will add that I think it is entirely possible (Likely?) that Victor's band would be higher quality overall.

Last edited:

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for chiming in. After talking with hubby some more I think I’m going to have VC make the band. I feel really good about it.

With the savings I’m looking into either the Cartier tank or the VCA sweet bracelet single motif in white gold with diamonds. (I already have a VCA sweet in Carnelian to layer it with). Decisions, decisions.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for chiming in. After talking with hubby some more I think I’m going to have VC make the band. I feel really good about it.

With the savings I’m looking into either the Cartier tank or the VCA sweet bracelet single motif in white gold with diamonds. (I already have a VCA sweet in Carnelian to layer it with). Decisions, decisions.

Great solution. I am biased as I have a VC eternity. I am wearing it right now and the quality is just beyond words. I also love Cartier, but only certain pieces. I think a diamond pave sweet bracelet to layer with your carnelian sweet would be the perfect +1.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! I like that plan! I have the Cartier Tank watch and love it! So here's a vote for that, too! :lol: (Like LLJsmom, I am more partial to VCA, except for the Cartier watches which I love.)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! I like that plan! I have the Cartier Tank watch and love it! So here's a vote for that, too! :lol: (Like LLJsmom, I am more partial to VCA, except for the Cartier watches which I love.)
Strange thing is this. I feel like the quality of the bracelet chain of VCA is higher than Cartier. If you closely examine the chain of the Cartier amulette v. Vca sweets, the VCA chains are more substantial and shinier. That’s how I see it anyway. And yes to @diamondseeker2006 ‘s commentnabout speciifc pieces. I do still love the LOVE bracelet and I think the orchid is nice but I find it hard to choose the Cartier’s other lines over VCA’s lines. I am sure it’s personal preference.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!! I like that plan! I have the Cartier Tank watch and love it
Good to know you are enjoying yours. It really is a classic. I’m on my way to try it on now.=)2

Strange thing is this. I feel like the quality of the bracelet chain of VCA is higher than Cartier. If you closely examine the chain of the Cartier amulette v. Vca sweets, the VCA chains are more substantial and shinier. That’s how I see it anyway. And yes to @diamondseeker2006 ‘s commentnabout speciifc pieces. I do still love the LOVE bracelet and I think the orchid is nice but I find it hard to choose the Cartier’s other lines over VCA’s lines. I am sure it’s personal preference.

I agree. Nothing sparkles like these little VCA chains. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the sweet bracelet is for such a delicate piece. Their construction is fabulous. VCA is a real danger for me. I drag my poor hubby to their stores any time we are in a major city. :lol: He’s advocating for the Cartier tank this time around, but he hinted that he’ll get me the diamond pavé sweet for a future occasion.

I tried on the larger Alhambra clover ring with diamonds yesterday and for a moment I considered it instead of the eternity. Their pavé is just insanely sparkly. But it would be completely impractical for me, especially since I’m still figuring out which classic pieces I need to complete my essentials, and since our life is more casual. I told him I could wear it around the house and just stare at it all day :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good decision! Can't wait to see what you get!

cheers--Sharon

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you can’t go wrong. I own some VC and no doubt his work is amazing! VCA and Cartier both have beautiful things.

I just wanted to throw in some food for thought. (I have tried on the ring style you are considering at Cartier)

I am a very sentimental person. I have found the pieces I don’t want to let go of are the ones I received from/with dh. It usually is a branded piece and reminds me of the day of celebration or week or month for that matter ( I am a PSer). When I got my first love we had breakfast. Went over to see my SA. Who surprised me with an extra special date on their rooftop with lauderee goodies and full service tiny bites (non of it planned). Just kind of all fell into place to celebrate a few big things in my life. I have and have had jewel pieces that are probably better quality and more valuable but the whole experience and to have this token with me as a reminder of that day with dh is so special. Sometimes you do want the plush service. Sometimes you do want the little blue box or in this case the big red box with pleated paper and wax seals.

It does feel somewhat different to me when I shop on my own or purchase something online then get it in the mail and it’s from dh and he isn’t even home or whatever. Or I say here’s whatcha got me. Lol

I know. I’m weird. But if your weird like me. You might actually love and appreciate that Cartier for a lifetime when tied into the whole expierence with dh and making it a celebration day.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Adding.

Yes I want the best of the best but true value for me comes with how much I adore the piece and how often I get to enjoy and wear the piece.

There’s a lot of people out there standing in line for rock crystal at VCA. Thousands of dollars for rock crystal?! But if they adore it and love it and wear it all the time. Then yes get your rock crystal ladies. Lol.

Those little sweet bracelets are semi precious stones with a little bit of gold for how much? But if you adore it and it brings you the feels why the hell not. I mean $1600 for a tiny piece of carnelian?! If it’s a hell yes then YAS!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can’t go wrong. I own some VC and no doubt his work is amazing! VCA and Cartier both have beautiful things.

I just wanted to throw in some food for thought. (I have tried on the ring style you are considering at Cartier)

I am a very sentimental person. I have found the pieces I don’t want to let go of are the ones I received from/with dh. It usually is a branded piece and reminds me of the day of celebration or week or month for that matter ( I am a PSer). When I got my first love we had breakfast. Went over to see my SA. Who surprised me with an extra special date on their rooftop with lauderee goodies and full service tiny bites (non of it planned). Just kind of all fell into place to celebrate a few big things in my life. I have and have had jewel pieces that are probably better quality and more valuable but the whole experience and to have this token with me as a reminder of that day with dh is so special. Sometimes you do want the plush service. Sometimes you do want the little blue box or in this case the big red box with pleated paper and wax seals.

It does feel somewhat different to me when I shop on my own or purchase something online then get it in the mail and it’s from dh and he isn’t even home or whatever. Or I say here’s whatcha got me. Lol

I know. I’m weird. But if your weird like me. You might actually love and appreciate that Cartier for a lifetime when tied into the whole expierence with dh and making it a celebration day.

HL: Thank you for this lovely post. I am a small consumer--yet Cartier and Tiffany has treated me like royalty. The service experience is worth it to "me" and there isn't any poor brother quality here.

I know folks also get lovely benchwork and one on one treatment at boutiques like Victor Canera. Yay!

OP--I truly look forward to your beautiful outcomes, wherever they come from. Moreover, I hope you do not feel my post is a t4t--it isn't meant to be. Consumers are loyal and that is good; notwithstanding we all enjoy variety and opinions.

cheers--Sharon

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
When I got my first love we had breakfast. Went over to see my SA. Who surprised me with an extra special date on their rooftop with lauderee goodies and full service tiny bites (non of it planned)

This is so sweet, no wonder it's one of your favorite memories with your hubby. It sounds like such a special celebration.

Yes I want the best of the best but true value for me comes with how much I adore the piece and how often I get to enjoy and wear the piece.

Absolutely! I completely agree and feel the same way. DH and I went to VCA together, while on vacation, to buy my little sweet bracelet, and I had so much fun with him, he really is involved and usually his opinion is spot on. Now that you mention it, it was a pretty fun and memorable experience that I know wouldn't have been as exciting if he wasn't there.

We did buy the Cartier tank today. As much as I loved the Destinee band, I really am at peace with letting VC handle it. (I've seen his work in person and that probably helps.) I went several years without caring at all about jewelry (and not having any) while my kids were little, and now I truly want a small number of great quality, basic, classic pieces. It made practical sense for me to split the gift amount between the eternity and the watch. I have some events coming up this year that'll need to get a bit more dressed up. The practical side won over sentimental this time ;-)

I love the watch, I got the great Cartier service experience today, hubby was there and made it as fun as usual :D

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
I hope you do not feel my post is a t4t--it isn't meant to be. Consumers are loyal and that is good; notwithstanding we all enjoy variety and opinions.

Not at all. =)2 I truly appreciate everyone’s opinion. That’s why I ask these questions before a big purchase. I want to hear and consider both sides, sometimes someone will voice what was brewing in my head but hadn’t fully materialized, and it validates one point or the other.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others, get a "basic" item from a master Craftsman, and a design item from a brand. My one Cartier piece (so far) is a Trinity and it was worth the premium to me in that case!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you are making a great choice. I will be eager to see your Cartier tank and your new eternity band from VC, which I know will be absolutely gorgeous! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results