shape
carat
color
clarity

estimating ring size??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jb3710

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m trying to estimate my GF''s ring size, in order to surprise her. I''ve asked a few of her friends with no luck. And she doesn''t wear a ring on her ring finger... but she does on her middle finger. That seems to be about a 6. So... would anyone want to make an educated guess on what the size of her ring finger is? Maybe a 1/2 size smaller, or a whole size? Sounds like I would want to guess high, in case I need to have it resized...

Any help is most appreciated!
Joe

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Her middle finger seems to be a 6, or is a 6? (and is it the middle finger of her writing hand, or her non-writing hand? My right hand fingers are "fatter" than my non-writing hand fingers.)

I am about a 5 1/4, and while a 6 WILL fit on my middle finger it hurts its so tight, lol. If she IS a 6 on her middle finger, unless she has large knuckles (are her knuckles quite prominent, bigger than the rest of her finger?) she might be a 5, but if it were me I''d rather the ring be a little big than not be able to wear it till it gets resized - overestimate, and plan to size it to her finger after you''ve given it to her.

Oh, how sad ... your boyfriend proposing to you and the ring doesn''t fit
39.gif
lol. Better to overestimate.

Maybe a 5 1/4, 5 1/2?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
why don''t you buy her a cheap gemstone ring and say - oh was just thinking you might like it - take it to get resized and then when she''s expecting the other ring to come back it''ll be the ring you intend on giving her?

Otherwise, indecisive is right - much nicer to at least be able to wear the ring if it''s too big until it''s sized than to not be able to wear it at all - plus, isn''t it easier to size down?

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I figured I''d ask my question here since the topic is already going. I know that my girlfriend''s right ring finger is a 4 1/4, since her college ring which she wears on that finger is custom-sized. How likely is it that her left ring finger is also 4 1/4?

Thanks in advance.

Later,
Eric

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Eric,
Think most people''s writing hands are slightly bigger. I wear a 4 on my right hand but my left hand is a 3 1/2. When hubby and I becamed engaged he bought the ring in a size 4. I could wear it right away but eventually had to have is resized b/c when it was cold it would slide right off. good luck on your future engagement.

jb3710

Rough_Rock
Thanks Indecisive. 6 on her left hand - and "I think a 6" is because that is based on me sticking the ring on my pinky, and it seemed to fit perfectly. Then I measured my pinky. Definitely not the best method, but that''s all I could do!!

Sounds like 5 1/2 might be the way to go, although your idea is something I''ll consider now....

joe

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
It''s hard to guess because everyone''s fingers are different. It can be half a size smaller or two sizes smaller (it is in my case). I''d definitely go larger though, it''s easier to size it down. Plus if it''s too big, she can at least wear it on the middle finger, if it''s too small, she can''t put it on at all.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree....it can be very tricky to just guess someone''s ring size. you''re going to have to get creative in order to figure it out....i like the idea of getting some kind of token ring....that way you can get the exact size. but,if nothing else, go bigger!!

esqknight

Rough_Rock
I had thought that 4 1/4 on her right ring-finger was pretty small. So given that she is right handed, her left ring finger is likely to be smaller? So going with 4 1/4 is likely to be a good guess?

As a side note, I am thinking about a D''Vatch x-prong. Anyone know what their policy is on re-sizing?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Buy a nice (cheap) ring with no stones on it. Just as a present. That can lead you into a discussion abotu her ring size without letting her on too much.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I am left-handed and wear a 7 on my ring finger of my left hand. My right hand ring finger is an 8 and my middle finger a 9. As you can see, my fingers go against the normal "writing hand is larger" theory.

I would hesitate to guess at her ring size. I think the idea of buying her a gemstone ring in order to figure out the correct size might not work since she will probably intend to wear it on her right hand, rather than her "ering" finger. Unless you want to call the gemstone ring a pre-engagement ring so she will wear it on the correct finger...

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the adivse. I still have a number of months left before I''m intending to do it, so hopefully, I hope I''ll come up with something between now and then to figure out the size. I do want it to be somewhat of surprise, so don''t want to go the "pre-engagement ring" route. Oh, and keep warm for anyone else getting snowed on.

Later,
Eric

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Order one of those sizers from the internet and while she''s sleeping, size her finger. Hopefully, she won''t wake up.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
I'll take your suggestion under consideration
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results