shape
carat
color
clarity

Essure?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I slipped in to talk to Dr. today to ask about migraines. I've been trying to keep track and it seems like I end up w/a monster migraine and some random lighter headaches the week that I have my Nuvaring out. I take it out on Monday, and generally Wed-Fri I have some headaches and end up w/a migraine. (Friday was horrendous-I thought I was going to pass out or vomit, and JD works nights so I was home alone w/the kids and boy was it a mess) She said to keep caffeine on hand and to try the migraine versions of like Excederin etc next time and just see how it goes. I mentioned that if JD had a vasectomy I wouldn't need the ring, (tho I know I would need to be on some sort of hormone regulating meds b/c I'm a bit of a whack a doo) and she gave me a pamphlet they'd just gotten on this new deal called Essure. (b/c even tho the guy swears he's going to do it, a lot of the time he doesn't)

Has anyone had this done or know anyone who has? It's basically these little metal coils that they insert into your fallopian tubes and then scar tissue develops over them, preventing the eggs from being released and sperm from reaching the eggs. It can be done in office (tho Dr. doesn't do it), so it would just be a copay. No incisions b/c they do it vaginally, and there's no anesthesia. The pamphlet says generally painless, maybe some cramping etc. There is a confirmation test w/dye and xray that they do at some point afterward.

At first I thought heck no, he promised me he would get fixed after we were done having kids, and doubly promised after I ended up w/2 c-sections. But then I got to thinking..it's supposed to be quicker recovery than his would be (tho I think it's only a few days for a vasectomy, and this is 1-2 days, so not a huge difference) and TBH..I'm wondering if I could parlay this into getting an extra stone set earlier, or getting some new stones for projects I have in my head. Jeez, that sounds just horrible, doesn't it? :???:

If you were done having kids, would you do this, a standard tubal, stay on some other form of bc or have the guy get a vasectomy?

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
After this pregnancy we are done having kids, for sure. I am really thinking about getting a tubal ligation. I've read some information online about Essure and there were more horror stories than anything, but you can really only take comments with a grain of salt these days so who knows.

Ideally, I would have a hysterectomy, leaving my ovaries, but I do not think my doctor will do this since I am 28. Every woman in my mother's family has had either "female" cancer (ovarian, cervical, uterine), colon cancer, or both so I do have that going for me. I also have a blood clotting disorder that makes pregnancy high risk and prevents me from taking any hormonal bc so those are considerations as well. Our insurance will not pay for Mirena or Paragard.

I would love for DH to get snipped but he's squeamish about it even though recovery is a breeze compared to pregnancy, labor, delivery, postpartum and the major surgery to have either a tubal ligation or hysterectomy :rolleyes:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not a traditional tubal ligation. It's surgery and it's not even as effective as an IUD (as far as the numbers I've seen). Just because it's permanent, doesn't mean it's more effective (odd, I know).

If I decided I didn't want kids anymore, I would probably go with a progestin IUD. They last at least 5 years, are very effective, and jjuuuust in case something unthinkable happens and you change your mind, well, you can still change your mind. It's something they can do in an office visit, and some women find that their periods go away entirely after awhile, which in my book is a plus.

I don't know much about Essure since it's still fairly new, but unless it's shown to be more effective than an IUD, I'd probably still go that route.

Also, if your only getting migraines when you take the ring out, have you tried just not going without a ring for a week? It's safe to "string" the rings so that you always have one in and skip your "period" (which isn't a real period anyways, it's a withdrawal bleed). You just leave the ring in for four weeks and immediately replace with a new one. It might help the headaches while you think over the options. Just a thought, you should talk it over with your gynecologist of course!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I don't know about Essure (well, I have heard of it but no idea how well it works), I just wanted to sympathize with you about the NuvaRing withdrawal headaches. I usually get a bad one the day after mine comes out. My doc said it's hormone withdrawal and to keep track once I go off the ring because it might be better once I'm back to "normal" or it might get much worse. She said there's a medication specifically designed for this problem, but I'd rather not take meds unless I REALLY need them. Anyway, just wanted you to know that you're not alone and it probably is the ring (or lack thereof) that's causing your headaches. Talk to your doctor if they're bad, I bet she will be able to help!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies guys!

I never even thought to check it out on the internet..I did a bit ago and was a little..freaked out I guess, after reading about all the problems. I realize not everyone has problems w/it, and there are always risks no matter what you use but..yikes. JD got off work early tonight and we talked about it when he came home; I showed him the pamphlet and he said no, he'd promised me he would do it. I told him the things I'd read about, other women's experiences w/it and he's like "No no no, we're not messing w/that, I'll do it this winter after hunting season".

If we were to suddenly become comfortable financially and could afford another, we would adopt. I'm going to be 36 this month and don't want to worry about the risks.

I didn't think about doing rings back to back, MTG..I'll talk to Dr. about it and see what she says. That's a good idea and maybe something to do until JD's had his turn and I don't need the rings anymore.

Octavia, I was talking to my coworker this afternoon about it and she had me google it, and there was a surprising number of women who have the same problem w/headaches when the ring comes out-we're not the only ones! Mine comes out on Monday and by Wednesday I have a "weird" feeling in my head and can feel it's right around the corner. I also find that I'm more prone to headaches just in general anymore..sneezing several times really hard is enough to bring it on. Generally that happens at work tho, so it may be I'm tense to begin w/and then the sneezing makes it worse.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of comments. My daughter (23) has a history of migraines and has been told that she may have a vascular issue so she is not allowed to use any form of bcp or hormones. She was tested for blood clotting disorders and they came out negative, but the doctor just feels the risk of stroke is there for migraine patients. YMMV of course.

I had a tubal ligation. It was no big deal to be honest. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that over any other type of permanent contraception.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
DivaDiamond007 said:
After this pregnancy we are done having kids, for sure. I am really thinking about getting a tubal ligation. I've read some information online about Essure and there were more horror stories than anything, but you can really only take comments with a grain of salt these days so who knows.

Ideally, I would have a hysterectomy, leaving my ovaries, but I do not think my doctor will do this since I am 28. Every woman in my mother's family has had either "female" cancer (ovarian, cervical, uterine), colon cancer, or both so I do have that going for me. I also have a blood clotting disorder that makes pregnancy high risk and prevents me from taking any hormonal bc so those are considerations as well. Our insurance will not pay for Mirena or Paragard.

I would love for DH to get snipped but he's squeamish about it even though recovery is a breeze compared to pregnancy, labor, delivery, postpartum and the major surgery to have either a tubal ligation or hysterectomy :rolleyes:
Because of my fibroids I had my uterus removed. I wish I would have done it sooner because it is wonderful! It was done laparoscopically through my naval. Over night in the hospital. No pain in my case. And no more periods. No more cramps. No more BC. No cervical caner risk. No more anemia. I really wish it was an elective surgery for anyone who is "done". And since my vagina was left untouched with no scarring---it kept things "normal".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results