shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagment ring color question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
A question about an engagement ring diamond... From the research I have done the consensus (sp?) seems to be that cut is the most important factor so I am looking at ideal cuts only, in terms of shape I want a princess cut diamond, I would like to get a clarity of VS2 or better, but my major question is color. I have read that the difference in the near colorless and colorless diamonds is not very noticable to most people so I feel like this is one area I may be able to save money. I have been looking at rings online to get an idea of prices and have noticed that I can save quite a bit if I go for an H or I diamond rather than a higher color grade. My question for those of you with more experience and have your rings already is have you noticed a color difference in H or I diamonds verses an F or G. Do H and I diamonds actually look yellowish or is it something only a jeweler would actually notice? I don''t think I would go further than an I but I have never compared all of these in person so I would love all of your input. Thanks again!
p.s. If it matters I have been looking at 1.25 - 1.5 ct diamonds.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
no advice or replies??? I am new to this and could really use any help you could provide!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its the middle of the night and everyone is sleeping.
Im far from a princess cut expert but think that I would stay H or above with them.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert either, I''m an old jewlery major in college, but I''m awake, so I''ll tell you the results I found when researching princess cuts.

You may already know this: I''ve found that GIA doesn''t rate their fancy cuts, so stay with AGS reports. AGS0 is their ideal cut.

As far as color: I''ve had a ring sent to my house that was a 1.32 "I" GIA. It was actually quite a beautiful color and very white face-up, despite the color grade. I would, however, stay above "I" and if you could afford to, stay with an H color. For me, it was difficult distinguishing the difference between G and H when looking at all the diamonds in person and under different lighting conditions. You can tell if you stare at it long enough, have a sheet of paper infront of you, and compare the stones side by side. If it''s a great cut, you probably won''t notice the difference anyway.

G, H, colors look white to me. Obviously they won''t compare to a D white, but they''re white and can be just as beautiful. I colors can be tricky and tend to look a teeny bit warm, but occasionally you''ll find one that faces up really white. I actually am looking for an I color with some blue fluorescence. To each his own... try going into a jewlery store near by just to look at stones that meet your specs. It''s a hassle dealing with the sales staff, but it pays off.

Hope that helps some.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
My ring is an F color, very very white. My stud earrings are H color. they look very white to me as well. I ONLY notice the color in the H when I hold them right next to the F color. I would say H is safe but when you get into I or lower you may notice a yellow tint. Some love that look but if you are going for a white look I think H.

I would MUCH rather have an H with the best possible cut than a white stone with a so so cut.

edited to add, my current stone is 1.63 ct and was a 10 year anniversary gift.

My original stone, also an F color was not such a great cut and I can tell you my H color earring stone are much prettier than that original F color so so cut.

My current ring is F an ideal but I waited a long time for that!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
With color, princesses will not face up as white as a round. In a round, many people feel very comfortable recommending I and J colored diamonds. I am very color sensite and would not want below a G. An H may be just fine for you. I would not say an H will ever look yellow but it won't look icy, icy white. Stick with GIA and AGS gradings which are more consistant and reliable. The part that worries me is that you say you haven't compared color in person. That is what you must do. Some people discover after looking at diamonds that they are either very color sensitive or they are not. Everyone's eyes are different so you have to see for yourself. Look at some diamonds and try to get them away from the jewelry store lighting.
Above all, get the best cut you can.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I''m a big fan of the G color grade. I can''t see any color in them and they''re less than a colorless stone. H is where I start to be able to see color, but it''s not obnoxious. I would not go down to an I, however, unless you''ve seen it in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen STUNNING white I's at Pricescope GTGs ... but they are rounds and AGS0 cuts.. J's too for that matter. In a princess... They show more color than rounds, but much less than step cuts. I could easily tolerate an H or even a high I in step cuts... so I feel comfortable telling you that *I* would be fine with an I AGS0 princess.

HOWEVER, its an individual preference. IF you have a really good jeweler in your area... one that carries ONLY AGS and GIA graded diamonds... or a HOF dealer (dream cut) I would go and look at the colors side by side and determine for youself what your tolerance is. BUT only look at 'ideal' or 'premium' cut stones... which for non-HOF, non branded (like Tiffany or Harry Winston), diamonds means either AGS0 or you take a list of specs with you and ask for diamonds with those specs or close to them. Don't trust what a jeweler will try to sell you as ideal cut without confirming for yourself.

kieraandjoe

Rough_Rock
I am having the same problem as candlelight80. I have picked a stone with excellent clarity and cut, but am wondering how much of the color (J) I will see. For one, I do not notice color very easily and the stone I am looking at has slight blue flourescence, and I am hoping that that may help the color a bit, even if only slightly. I know that if I were to compare a J with an F or G side by side, I may tell a difference, but I am going to be looking at the stone by itself when it is on the finger.

I recently received an F color princess (2.0 carat) and am very happy with the cut but not so much with the fact that it is an I1. A step up to VS1 but a step down to J color may be worth it. (cuts being equal) (It is listed as an ideal cut)

dach2k3

Rough_Rock
I bought a .991 Carat, AGS-0, VS1, I color princess and I''m very happy w/ the color. here''s the diamond:

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/23175.html

I really can''t see any yellow in the diamond at all. It faces up very white. I, of course, am no expert, but my fiance loves it and she can''t notice any yellow either and i had it set in a platinum tiffany style setting. I personally was dead set on 2 things... vs2 at least in clarity and AGS-0 for cut. I wanted it to be right around 1.0 carat as well if at all possible. I would have probably preferred H, but all things considered i am very happy w/ the diamond at an I.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Color is different for everyone. Princesses show more color than rounds, but not everyone perceives them in the same way. To save money, I'd definitely look at G, H, and Is. If you have the chance, see if you can view different colors at a jeweler to get a feel of where your 'cutoff' is...then you'll know which colors you want to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results