shape
carat
color
clarity

engagement ring shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marco

Rough_Rock
Hi there everyone,

I am thinking of buying this engagement ring for my girlfriend. The ring came with a GIA and a Gem Scam certificate( Canadian appraisal ). Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated. Is this a decent quality ring?

1.01 ct,
G colour,
vs2,
depth : 61.5,
crown : 14% (34.5 degrees),
pavillion : 43.6% (41.2 degrees),
Table : 57.4 %
girdle : med - slightly thick
cutlet : none
polish & sym : excellent
florecense : none

The ring will be set in platinum and the price I was quoted was about $10,700 Canadaian. dollars. Should I continue looking or just pick it up? Please help!! Wanting to propose for Valentines day. Thanks a lot guys!!!!!

appl.gif

futures

Rough_Rock
All I know is for $10,000 you can only get yourself a 1/2 carat diamond at Birks.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
By the numbers it sounds as it should be a very lovely diamond. Going only by numbers some can be a little better than others but the general rules say your looking at a very nice stone.

I have no idea about the $10,700 Canadaian Dollars, but maybe some Canadian friends can comment on that.

futures

Rough_Rock
Canadian funds / 1.60 = American funds
$10,700 Can / 1.60 = roughly $6700us

Is the price before or after taxes? Could you advise where you're getting this ring.. I'm ring shopping too!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, that price is pretty good for us here & for a VS-1 stone. I would like to know as well where it was found. haha I know that very few stores in Toronto have GIA certs with their stones, & most have Gemscam precerts. Just make sure you go to an independent appraiser to get it checked out.

Stay away from the Jewelery exchanges. I work right around the corner from one & they are constantly pushing low grade, low colour stones of course, they are cheap.
errrr.gif
I was there today in fact to look at regular gold chains/bracelets. They have great prices for that sort of stuff, but not for diamonds. Then again, if you know someone who knows that other person who knows the guy in the 5th booth from the entrance door.
twirl.gif

Judy
:)

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Please get that stone certified. If I were you, I would never
buy a stone with only a Gem Scan cert... Get it appraised and
ask for a FULL refund, so you'll be sure your stone matches
the GIA cert.

Trichrome.

canadianice

Rough_Rock
Was "Gem Scam certificate" a Freudian slip? I hear those certs aren't very reliable.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
They aren't at all.
You have no information on them.... Color is like "G-H",
clarity is far from what a GIA certif would have said...
so don't ever trust their cert.

Trichrome.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gem Scam is not a freudian slip in the least. Whenever I would ask for a GIA or AGS graded stone I always got the song & dance that Gem Scan was "just as good". Damiani Jewelery has a Gem Scam ideal 1.57 on their list. Yet, they have NO information on this stone & its almost $18K!! I was floored. Not very good marketing. Now, in defense of Gem Scan, they do have Sarin results available, IF the vendor pays for it.
Up_to_something.gif
Most wont pay cause the average consumer is not as educated as we are here.
Trichrome is right, get it appraised somewhere else. Only, I think you will find it hard to locate a jewelery that will give you a 100% refund. I think Damiani will give you a week. I saw a notice on their wall but sorry to say, I didnt pay full attention to it. They also have some GIA certed stones.

Judy
:)

PuddyKat

Rough_Rock
Hi Marco,

where are u located? i'm in Vancouver and I would definitely recommend the place where we bought our diamond. They take pride in carrying the largest inventory of Canadian H&A diamonds. We were quite wary of those Gem Scan certs that stores seem to have in Canada. After alot of research from Pricesope (and possibly visiting all the stores in Vancouver!) , we went with an AGS certed diamond and we can't be any more pleased with it. Let me know if you are interested.

Laurie
PS. The appraiser definitely agreed it's a beauty!

sshell

Rough_Rock
Hi Puddykat,

Do you mind tell me where did you buy your diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results