shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring - I'm not happy with how it turned out...

Tiddles

Rough_Rock
I would have the stone checked before it ships. Shipping gemstones back to Sri Lanka is such a huge pain in the @ss and risks the gem getting lost in transit, damaged, etc.

Hi @chrono, I requested the Jeweller to send me any certificates they provide for the ring and he sent me these pictures. I'm honestly not sure what I'm looking at.

From a quick google search i can see that the diamonds are quite high up in the scale. Not exactly sure about the Sapphire though. I'm not sure what "Natural Inclusions and Colour Band" means.

I also did get the jeweller to send me more pictures in a more natural light setting. It does looks 'good' in these pictures. See below.

I think i will just have to wait and see the ring for my self before i take any drastic decisions. Going back to what @qubitasaurus said, the original photos were taken in a light tent. Might look different in natural lighting conditions. BUT still cant excuse the poor mixing of white gold and yellow gold in the ring. It just doesn't look right....

Certificate - Diamonds.jpeg Certificate - Sapphire.jpeg

Pictures of the ring

IMG-e2f5139f7844c33ac28f8a48289bc736-V.jpg
IMG-21539208e9e746e5617b2fff7c916a6f-V.jpg

IMG-c6af35b834cf4a3b42909f1fe28cb1ef-V.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no mention of treatment / untreated and the paperwork is from the seller not an independent lab so they are essentially worth the paper they are printed on. Can the stone be sent to an independent lab to confirm lack of treatment?

ETA
I just realized you never stated anything about treatment. Was it sold as untreated, heated, anything else? That can have a huge valuation difference. Heated is ok but diffusion (falls under heated category) drops the price significantly. Diffusion is ok if it is disclosed and at the appropriate price.

Tiddles

Rough_Rock
There is no mention of treatment / untreated and the paperwork is from the seller not an independent lab so they are essentially worth the paper they are printed on. Can the stone be sent to an independent lab to confirm lack of treatment?

ETA
I just realized you never stated anything about treatment. Was it sold as untreated, heated, anything else? That can have a huge valuation difference. Heated is ok but diffusion (falls under heated category) drops the price significantly. Diffusion is ok if it is disclosed and at the appropriate price.

Hi @chrono,
Valid point about the paperwork. At this point i wouldn't want anyone else to touch it over there. Its a bit too difficult for me logistically to get it done over there at this point in time. I am bringing it in and will get it graded over here in Australia.

The Jeweller did not mention anything about any treatment. I didn't ask either since i didn't know... Im hoping a stone grading company can figure out the forms of treatment that the stone went through?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you get it in Australia and checked out, I think it will be too late for any form of return. The return window will probably well over and since it was sold without any discussion of treatment, you have basically accepted the sale under open conditions. I hope that the stone will be pleasing to your eye.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you get it in Australia and checked out, I think it will be too late for any form of return. The return window will probably well over and since it was sold without any discussion of treatment, you have basically accepted the sale under open conditions. I hope that the stone will be pleasing to your eye.

This is my worry as well. There is nothing saying the stone isnt heavily treated.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume at this point you cant just get a refund and start over with a new vendor? That would be my honest suggestion, but not sure if it's possible.

Tiddles

Rough_Rock

Yep, unfortunately I won't be able to return it at this point due to a lot of reasons.

It is a known jeweller in Sri Lanka from what I've read so I am hoping that I won't get a coloured piece of glass in the mail. Will get it graded after I receive it and then figure out the path forward.

I should have done a lot more research. Rookie error.
Worst case scenario, i will start again from scratch and hopefully I'll know what questions to ask this time around. Will keep you all updated. Thanks so much for all the help so far! I really do appreciate it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of your responses. I will retrieve the stones asap and go consult a local jeweler and start from scratch...
Learnt a good lesson. Hopefully I can find someone here that can make it the way i want it to look like!

Have you seen Diana’s ring from the side? This isn’t much off from hers... in terms of the sapphire sticking out with giant long prongs

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7B05F363-3665-4478-8783-F2D6D104888C.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
17E08D7F-33A2-484B-AB08-9E8B3D12D6AA.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Frankly your options are limited. You’ve already paid. Unlikely to be able to return a custom piece.

Just get it home and see what can be done with it.

I very much doubt the sapphire will be either heavily treated or glass. I’ve dealt with a lot of Sri Lankan vendors and that would be extremely unlikely. Even if they have overcharged you (by Sri Lankan standards) you probably won’t have been gypped too badly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results