shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring guidance needed please!

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Hey Gang, I’ve been out of the PS loop for about a decade and could use a refresher. PS was instrumental in helping me research and source the perfect diamond engagement ring for my wife. Now my best buddy is in the same situation and on the hunt.

is the HCA calculator still a good way to narrow the field assuming GIA reports are available? I purchased a loose stone and had it set in a Vatche setting but I think my buddy would prefer to purchase the setting and stone together.

He’s looking for a round with halo engagement ring. What websites are recommended these days? Is bluenile a good option? He’s looking for quality over size. Thanks so much for any guidance.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Whiteflash carries Vatche.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply. My buddy is not looking for a Vatche setting, was just giving my example. Do you have a recommendation for a few good websites we should check out? Perhaps a site for loose stones as well as complete rings? Thanks!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @TRIALnERROR, as the others said you can’t go wrong with a super ideal vendor (whiteflash, etc). Pricescope also has a search function under “resources” for loose stones, and James Allen is another popular site where you can select a stone and then choose a setting. The super ideal vendors are more of a concierge service whereas with something like James Allen you’d use the HCA and your own knowledge (or feedback from the forum) to narrow it down. Rarecarat is another search engine that pulls from various inventories. On the lab diamond forum it’s pretry popular, they also have a mined diamond search function but I see it used less so I can’t speak to the quality, just throwing out another option of search to consider.

The boards are quieter on the weekends, but if you wait until Monday and bump this thread up again I’m sure you’ll get more of the experts weighing in. Good luck to your buddy and good on you for helping with his search!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot Brian Gavin as well ;-)

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! He ended up selecting a lovely setting and stone from James Allen. I really appreciate all of the guidance this forum has bestowed on me over the years. Thanks again!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hey @TRIALnERROR, as the others said you can’t go wrong with a super ideal vendor (whiteflash, etc). Pricescope also has a search function under “resources” for loose stones, and James Allen is another popular site where you can select a stone and then choose a setting. The super ideal vendors are more of a concierge service whereas with something like James Allen you’d use the HCA and your own knowledge (or feedback from the forum) to narrow it down. Rarecarat is another search engine that pulls from various inventories. On the lab diamond forum it’s pretry popular, they also have a mined diamond search function but I see it used less so I can’t speak to the quality, just throwing out another option of search to consider.

The boards are quieter on the weekends, but if you wait until Monday and bump this thread up again I’m sure you’ll get more of the experts weighing in. Good luck to your buddy and good on you for helping with his search!

I would not agree that the super ideal vendors are more of a concierge service. The super ideal vendors sell the most precise cut quality stones you can buy. All in-house inventory. Each stone must be very specific standards that yield the most highly performing stones.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Also, you don’t want to buy a diamond that is already set.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I would not agree that the super ideal vendors are more of a concierge service. The super ideal vendors sell the most precise cut quality stones you can buy. All in-house inventory. Each stone must be very specific standards that yield the most highly performing stones.

Perhaps I chose the wrong word. I meant that with super ideal vendors you can expect a greater level of quality and personalized service as opposed to JA. That’s just been my personal shopping experience. I think you can get great jewelry at JA and it sounds like the OP’s friend has already gone that route.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps I chose the wrong word. I meant that with super ideal vendors you can expect a greater level of quality and personalized service as opposed to JA. That’s just been my personal shopping experience. I think you can get great jewelry at JA and it sounds like the OP’s friend has already gone that route.

At the price point for super ideal it should be more personalized lol ;-)
I have not shopped with JA... I have with BG & WF and, as you’ve experienced, you feel like you are the only customer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results