shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring advice

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Long time lurker finally ready to take the leap!

I’m looking for a jeweler to begin the design process, but I wanted to run my specs by this community so the experts can weigh in. My partner and I are on the same page with design and specifications. Here’s what I’m looking for:

• Oval center stone with two pear sidestones
• Center stone between 2.6 - 3 karats. Whatever the best value I can get.
• G/H
• VS1, VS2, SI1, if possible.
• Cut is where I’m getting hung up as I know it’s incredibly important; any advice on this would be great.

I’m looking for general advice, best places to look, things to keep in mind, etc. I know this is a bit vague, but any help would be appreciated! I’ve attached a photo for reference.

Thank you in advance!

Picture1.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. you will see a lot of yellow patches in the crushed ice parts - go to F +. Med to strong helps.
2. VS2 SI1 can work - it is harder to see in ovals. Avoid clouds and internal graining as the main grade maker.
3. hearts look better than pears.
4. learn about ASET images and bow ties (ugly things, not to mention all ties are uncomfortable!) 781182

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look for crisp well-defined facets for good light return. As s stone is rotated look for new facets to come into focus that have good light return.

You didnt mention your budget.

I'll throw a few out there that have nice faceting patterns...not necessarily in your specs.

Ovals are cut with different numbers of main facets that give them a different look. You can look on the pavilion side on the GIA report to
see the number of mains. You may see one type that you prefer over the others.

4 main
6 main
8 main
8 main offset

Distinctive gems makes a 10 main that is an AGS000 which means it has Ideal light return. They do face up a little smaller but its the price
you pay to get ideal light return.

Let me know if you have any questions.

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts! Curious what your thoughts are on the attached GIA report for a diamond I found. Thanks!

2FA2557D-1412-411E-AA36-CF81032A6ACB.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts! Curious what your thoughts are on the attached GIA report for a diamond I found. Thanks!

2FA2557D-1412-411E-AA36-CF81032A6ACB.png

A GIA report alone will not really be enough for folks to weigh in on. I'd dig up photos & video if possible.

Also, are you color sensitive? I color (for me) would show a visible tint most likely, and there is a range for a color grading (ie. high I color, and lower end of the color spectrum I color....)

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
A GIA report alone will not really be enough for folks to weigh in on. I'd dig up photos & video if possible.

Also, are you color sensitive? I color (for me) would show a visible tint most likely, and there is a range for a color grading (ie. high I color, and lower end of the color spectrum I color....)

Thank you, I’ll try and track down a video. This option was sent to me from a jeweler and the I coloring is throwing me off as I was hoping for a G or H

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, I’ll try and track down a video. This option was sent to me from a jeweler and the I coloring is throwing me off as I was hoping for a G or H

Stick to your guns if you know that is what you want! It is too big a purchase to concede. just curious, are you sticking with a specific jeweler, or are you exploring multiple options?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto the other posters...you need a video to know whats really going on with a fancy cut. The GIA report alone doesnt tell you enough
(or much at all).

Agree, if you want G/H tell your jeweler (again).

You never told us your budget (or did I miss it :think:)? We can help you look and or tell you if your budget/specs dont match.

Edit...places we usually look. Its more difficult to evaluate some stones due to the videos some jewelers have. (Rotating East/West
straight up and down vs on an angle).
James Allen
Blue Nile
Distinctive Gems
Adiamor
B2C Jewelry.

Last edited:

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
Stick to your guns if you know that is what you want! It is too big a purchase to concede. just curious, are you sticking with a specific jeweler, or are you exploring multiple options?

I’m exploring other options, too.

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
Ditto the other posters...you need a video to know whats really going on with a fancy cut. The GIA report alone doesnt tell you enough
(or much at all).

Agree, if you want G/H tell your jeweler (again).

You never told us your budget (or did I miss it :think:)? We can help you look and or tell you if your budget/specs dont match.

Edit...places we usually look. Its more difficult to evaluate some stones due to the videos some jewelers have. (Rotating East/West
straight up and down vs on an angle).
James Allen
Blue Nile
Distinctive Gems
Adiamor
B2C Jewelry.

Ah, yes. I’m sorry. My budget is $25k - $30k. From what I’ve heard so far, my specs may not match my budget.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ah, yes. I’m sorry. My budget is $25k - $30k. From what I’ve heard so far, my specs may not match my budget.

Hmm...the color / size combo might put you over budget. For example, there are 9 stones that come up in James Allen in that combo - almost all have pretty obvious inclusions (are all SI1, which sometimes can be eye clean) and none might be winnders?

i am not an oval expert - this one stood out the most, but I like high color - it has strong flouro, i'm guessing hence the price

this one is well below your size requirements, but i think quite pretty - i wonder if he could custom cut something a bit bigger?

What is most important to you? Size? Color? Clarity? I'd personally put cut at the top of the heap, and I expect that is the advice other PSers will give.

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
Hmm...the color / size combo might put you over budget. For example, there are 9 stones that come up in James Allen in that combo - almost all have pretty obvious inclusions (are all SI1, which sometimes can be eye clean) and none might be winnders?

i am not an oval expert - this one stood out the most, but I like high color - it has strong flouro, i'm guessing hence the price

this one is well below your size requirements, but i think quite pretty - i wonder if he could custom cut something a bit bigger?

What is most important to you? Size? Color? Clarity? I'd personally put cut at the top of the heap, and I expect that is the advice other PSers will give.

Cut is most important to me followed by size. I’d like to get a nicely cut 2.7/2.8 karat. I’ve looked a bit on James Allen, but I could see the inclusions on the available options and it threw me off a bit.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here’s a video of the diamond from earlier.

That is somewhere between the very worst video of a diamond I ever saw and totally useless.
But if the color is as shown it looks like a KLM. You could fly to Amsterdam on it!

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
That is somewhere between the very worst video of a diamond I ever saw and totally useless.
But if the color is as shown it looks like a KLM. You could fly to Amsterdam on it!

Sorry. That’s the only reference I have.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

This made me laugh out loud...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Quite the comic today! :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a video of the diamond from earlier.

So its a 4 main with quite an erratic faceting pattern from what little I can tell from the video. If the cut is your main criteria I would say this
isnt it.

I do like that D that @Cerulean posted. I didnt see anything else at JA. I check BN, b2c and adiamor and didnt see much either.
I think vendors are low right now being so close to the holidays. You might wait until after if you're not in a rush. Also, try
calling IDJ (Yekutiel) and Diamonds by Lauren (David) and see what they might have.

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
So its a 4 main with quite an erratic faceting pattern from what little I can tell from the video. If the cut is your main criteria I would say this
isnt it.

I do like that D that @Cerulean posted. I didnt see anything else at JA. I check BN, b2c and adiamor and didnt see much either.
I think vendors are low right now being so close to the holidays. You might wait until after if you're not in a rush. Also, try
calling IDJ (Yekutiel) and Diamonds by Lauren (David) and see what they might have.

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback on the diamond. I wasn’t feeling great about it. Also, thank you for the recommendations.

I’m working with another jeweler now and they forwarded me a diamond I really like, but it’s SI2. I’m a tad nervous about that, but curious what others think of SI2. Diamond is here.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Can you post the report? Not all SI2s are passes (or I was just lucky). Let’s see the report and plot.

GMarsh

Rough_Rock
Can you post the report? Not all SI2s are passes (or I was just lucky). Let’s see the report and plot.

I’m hoping to get the report on Monday. I only have the video right now.

GMarsh

Rough_Rock

Here is the GIA report for the SI2. Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 10.39.00 AM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results