• other

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sunday brunch event, prixe fixed menu

• just show me the results!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Hey all!

Planning a small impromptu engagement party gathering... just checking to see if anyone has strong preferences. :)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Without more info, they all sound more or less equal to me!
1.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I picked Saturday night dinner a la carte... This is what I think we''ll be doing as well (probably this upcoming Saturday, as I''m thinking very very small, just our families)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Saturday dinner, because I''d rather have a full meal than just drinks/desserts, I don''t particularly like brunch/breakfast foods, and I prefer not to get up early!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I guess I was thinking about how much it would cost people to celebrate with us, and dinner would be the most, drinks/desserts a bit less or equal to a brunch, which would be $18-20 including unlimited mimosas!

Plus, I LURVE breakfast, and was thinking of some friends who would be travelling over an hour to attend... late night events may be a little more of a hassle for them with a long drive home.

Thanks for the comments and votes, keep ''em coming!
21.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I luuurve a breakfast.. esp if there is champagne!
2.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I voted no preference BUT I think Brunch is the best of all worlds, you can have a little booziness in your brunch, plus it can be formal/informal. If someone is not a fan of breakfast foods, there is usually a strong lunch menu to choose from. PLUS it doesn''t happen too early, which means people get a good night''s sleep and this is the first thing on their schedule for the day, vs. the last...and all the planning to get there.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''d prefer the dinner. To me it''s a traditional family thing to share a meal together and visit with everyone.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a huge fan of dessert or brunch foods (I know, heresy) so I would pick dinner.
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 12:25:38 AM
Author: trillionaire
I guess I was thinking about how much it would cost people to celebrate with us, and dinner would be the most, drinks/desserts a bit less or equal to a brunch, which would be $18-20 including unlimited mimosas!

Plus, I LURVE breakfast, and was thinking of some friends who would be travelling over an hour to attend... late night events may be a little more of a hassle for them with a long drive home.

Thanks for the comments and votes, keep 'em coming!
21.gif
Does this mean that this isn't an actual engagement party, but rather you're organizing a get-together in honor of your engagement, but everyone is expected to pay their own way? My response would change based on this information.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for desserts and drinks because I love dessert so much. But, it sounds like you''re leaning towards brunch...do what suits YOU best! It''s all about you, baby!
2.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 11:11:25 AM
Author: Haven

Date: 9/8/2009 12:25:38 AM
Author: trillionaire

Thanks for the comments and votes, keep ''em coming!
21.gif
Does this mean that this isn''t an actual engagement party, but rather you''re organizing a get-together in honor of your engagement, but everyone is expected to pay their own way? My response would change based on this information.

Yes, exactly. My mom may throw an ''official engagement party'' at some point, but FI and I were literally just inviting maybe 20 or so friends out to celebrate with us and they would be paying for themselves. (they have been begging us to do something, everyone is really excited for us!) It would be in DC and I don''t know a lot of places in the area
40.gif
I''d love an Indian food buffet dinner, but am not sure how many people are into ethnic food.

This would all be young folks who are in the area, maybe a cousin or two who are my age, but certainly not a family or formal event.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Based on the circumstances you''ve given I would opt for either a potluck gathering in my home or in a park w/ some sort of food theme.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I love brunch, and it''s usually a very affordable meal, so I''d pick the brunch option! The prix fixe menu should include something savory, something sweet, and maybe a lunch-y option to accommodate your guests'' preferences.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you considered asking your friends what they would prefer? Since you aren''t hosting the event, I think calling everyone and asking if they''d like to get together and then asking for their input regarding where and when (rather than inviting them out with a specific location and time) would be the best option.

Otherwise, I''m worried that your friends may misinterpret your invitation and be surprised when they''re expected to pay. Of course, I''m sure none of them would be upset about it, but that could be a very awkward situation.

I love Kimberly''s suggestions, as well. A potluck sounds like the best bet in this situation, in my opinion.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
We don''t have room to host people at FI''s place (tiny one bedroom apt) or have a potluck.
40.gif
We were just trying to have a get together because so many people said that they wanted to do dinner or something with us after we got engaged... since we can''t do 20 different dinners (we are still LDR), we thought we''d have everyone at once for an event. This is totally informal, we''d be inviting people on facebook. I doubt that anyone would think that we were paying, but we can certainly make it clear that we are not.

I suppose another option would be to have a BBQ in a park... we could clearly pay for food and charcoal. I''ll see what FI thinks.
21.gif

Thanks ladies! Your advice is always sage and appreciated!

Keep ''em coming!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would lean towards the brunch. Not too early (especially if people have a long drive).

Dinners and desserts are nice but if it gets late, people have the drive home to deal with. Not to mention the wine and other drinks usually served with dinner/dessert. Followed by driving.

A potluck is nice. You could even request certain items. (not too specific, just "would you be able to bring a salad?") We did a neighborhood potluck. Invitations said to "bring your own meat to grill and a salad to share". Worked great. -- of course I was the only one to bring any buns....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
BBQs in the park are SO MUCH FUN! If that doesn''t work, I''m a huge fan of brunch, and with 20 people there you guys will have a blast.

And I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement, Trill!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 4:29:26 PM
Author: Haven
BBQs in the park are SO MUCH FUN! If that doesn''t work, I''m a huge fan of brunch, and with 20 people there you guys will have a blast.

And I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement, Trill!
THANKS Haven! We''re still very excited over here
9.gif

I can''t wait until we have the space to host people, I love to cook and a dinner party would be a blast! We were a big pot luck couple in college, and would often host dinners, I miss that! And now I have perfected a bunch of new dishes!
11.gif
I could do an AMAZING brunch at home if we had room... *sigh* One day...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results