shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Originally printed in Glamour in 2004, a recipie for roasted chicken has reportedly inspired several men to propose:

http://www.glamour.com/lifestyle/dobetter/articles/2006/07/10/engagementchicken05feb

From FoxNews:

Grandma was right — the way to a man''s heart really is through his stomach. Or so it would seem, based on the apparent romantic powers of a recipe that was featured in Glamour magazine.

In its January 2004 issue, Glamour printed instructions on how to make Engagement Chicken, a dish that at that time had inspired the boyfriends of three women to pop the question. Since then — in a case of what came first, the chicken or the ring? — the magazine has received 21 letters (and counting) from women who say this simple meal was the magic trick that got them a rock.

“I made Engagement Chicken for my live-in boyfriend and less than two months later, I’m wearing a wedding band. This chicken is serious stuff. But please keep me anonymous — my husband doesn’t know he was reeled in by a chicken!” a Woburn, Mass., woman wrote to Glamour recently.

The easy-to-make dish consists merely of one whole chicken, two medium lemons, fresh lemon juice, kosher or sea salt and ground black pepper. Not surprisingly, it tastes like ... chicken. But when it comes out of the oven — and presumably is set on a table between romantic candles — it looks very festive and fancy indeed, kind of like something Martha Stewart would prepare.

But why would chicken — a dish not even remotely known for its aphrodisiac powers — get a man to propose marriage?

Jon Suder, the first man to fall for the chicken 22 years ago, said the well-dressed bird put marriage on his mind because it seemed like a wifely concoction.

"It''s a meal your wife would make. It got me thinking," said Suder, who now has three children with the chicken-maker.

Others were more skeptical of the poultry''s powers.

Joe Monteverde, 30, who works in television in New York City, said a good meal can be the way to a man''s heart, but not when it comes to something as serious as marriage.

But if anything could do it for him, it wouldn''t be chicken.

"It would have to be lasagna, flawless, better than my mother’s. I’m talking perfect," he said.

Tip Lipsey, a married pastor from Coleman, Ala., said no meal — not even a well-dressed bird — would have brought him down on one knee.

"I live in Alabama — chickens are everywhere," he said. "I don''t even like chicken. I won''t eat it."

Darryll Bailey, 52, also from Coleman, was similarly unimpressed.

"I was raised on a chicken farm — it’s my favorite meat. But even so, no," Bailey said.

John Molloy, who interviewed 2,500 couples of all ages and backgrounds coming out of marriage license bureaus for his book, “Why Men Marry Some Women and Not Others,” doesn''t think a chicken — or any dish, for that matter — can change a man''s opinion of a woman after a certain point.

But a well-planned meal might be a nice way to serve up "the topic."

"Guys like to be romanced, too," Molloy said.

Moreover — politically incorrect as it may be, men like women who know how to entertain, he said.

"Most men coming out of the wedding bureaus said about their wives, ''She’s such a wonderful person,'' ''she''s a nice person,'' ''she''s a competent person.'' Men expect women to be socially adept — to handle themselves well. The chicken shows all those qualities — he''s proud of the fact that she could entertain friends. A lot of women find that demeaning, but it''s true."

But post-Suder, the real power of the chicken may be its history. Bolstered by the knowledge that the dish had done the trick for other would-be brides, Molloy surmised that the women who made it felt confident enough to bring up the topic of marriage during the meal.

“The women probably felt the guy was ready and probably hinted at those dinners," he said. "I bet they brought it up."

Indeed, according to Molloy, bringing up the subject of marriage, with or without a plate of poultry, is the only way to get a guy down on one knee.

"Many guys said that they went out with a girl for three to five years and didn’t propose because she never brought the subject up, or she did, but by then it was too late. Women drop hints — guys don’t get hints. You have to say it straight out!"

Twenty-eight-year-old Lenora Shapiro, who tied the knot with her sweetie last August, said it definitely wasn''t her culinary prowess that got her husband to say "Will you marry me?"

"I can tell you that it wasn''t my cooking ... I didn''t start cooking until really recently," she said. "So what is the moral of this, you ask? Well, maybe girls shouldn''t give up the goods in the kitchen so fast ... everything that you never did before the wedding that you do now is an added bonus."

But that way of thinking didn''t stop Brenda Lau, a 29-year-old teacher who has been dating her boyfriend for three years, from joining Glamour readers in the Engagement Chicken stampede.

"What''s the recipe??" she demanded

Bridget in Connecticut.
(who is a darned good cook - chicken or anything)

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hahahaha! My SO loves chicken and rice. That''s like all we ever have for dinner. It has to be Jasmine rice though, not any other kind.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I think a couple of people have tried this tactic...sadly, to no avail. Though it couldn''t hurt!

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2008 6:53:04 PM
Author: sunnyd

I think a couple of people have tried this tactic...sadly, to no avail. Though it couldn''t hurt!
I''m always cooking anyway, and I figured.....

a) Chicken is cooked at least once a week regardless, and
b) The leftovers would make great chicken salad (with chipotle mayo...yum yum yum)

And, at the end of the day with all other things being equal, I can''t eat a ring.

Bridget in Connecticut.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I tried this one about 5 months back.... It wasn''t fully cooked in the specified amount of time, and.... No engagement yet. Maybe I''ll try that bad boy again in a another say 5 weeks, that gives Leon 6 to get that ring to bf so he can get it on my finger!!!
27.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
LOL--I''d heard of engagement chicken but I''d never seen the recipe. I make roast chicken with lemon about once a week (at least every two weeks) and it hasn''t done anything yet. Maybe I wasn''t thinking about it in the right way.

For any of you gals that are planning on making it, I like to put butter and sliced garlic under the skin of the chicken, rub the outside with lemon juice, salt, and pepper, add a little lemon zest on the breast, then stuff the cavity with rosemary, thyme, 2 lemon halves, and maybe some garlic cloves. I also just cook it breast side up the whole time (takes about 90 minutes at 375 degrees for a 5 lb bird) and baste about every 15-20 minutes. When I make it, I usually do roast potatoes at the same time--I cut them up after the bird goes in the oven and rub them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and sprinkle rosemary over the top, then throw them in the oven after the chicken has been in there for half an hour. After another 30 minutes, I throw a few whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes and let them roast until the chicken is done (another 30 minutes). Everything comes out of the oven at the same time and then I transfer the chicken to a platter to carve it and make gravy with the pan drippings, a little chicken broth, and some flour.

The best thing about it is that we always have leftover chicken that we use to make enchiladas (yum!), and we throw the chicken carcass in the crockpot with some celery, carrots, peppercorns, a bayleaf or two, and water. Throw it on overnight and the next morning you strain it to get awesome chicken broth--way better than the canned stuff. We freeze it in 4-cup portions (mainly because our main use for it is making risotto, and you need about 4 cups for that) in those ziploc freezer bags, so it doesn''t take up too much space, and you can just defrost it (or break off a piece) when you need it. Keep in mind that if you''re used to cooking with the canned stuff, this has way less salt in it, so you may have to add a little.

Maybe my problem is that I cook too much, so Kris is used to it. Heh. I guess it doesn''t count as engagement chicken for me, but it''s still a damn fine meal. Next up, engagement salmon anyone?
41.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine tried it back when she was a LIW... She''s married now, so... Can''t hurt.
28.gif
31.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I cook chicken at least once a week (whole bird). Maybe I should find a way to slip a fake ring onto the chicken's leg since that's always the part my SO goes for first. When he questions the ring I can say, "this is engagement chicken, sweetie, eat up because we've got a LOT to talk about."
31.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock

Well, I don''t need the engagement luck anymore, but I think I just got at least 2 fine recipes from this thread, so thank you, ladies!

Best of luck to you all on your engagement dinners! I personally think my pot roast did it, but one can never be sure!

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 4:39:31 PM
Author: Harleigh

Best of luck to you all on your engagement dinners! I personally think my pot roast did it, but one can never be sure!

Never underestimate the power of food when it comes to men....

My BF was raised by his mom, who he says (God rest her soul, no disrespect intended) was a horrible cook. In fact, he told me before I met her in person that she had only one style of cooking: burned. Now, I''ve posted often here about my BF''s ex -- and the only good thing he can say about her is that she was a great cook. My BF''s ex is Italian and loved to make pasta (including noodles from scratch), baked goods, etc. Even his long-time friends -- who don''t have any love for her either, because she''s mean-spirited (among many other bad things) -- will admit that she was a good cook. One of them said not too long ago, "I have no idea why he stayed with her for 20 years....but she''s an amazing cook, and that might explain part of it." Hmmm.

Since you liked the recipes, I have two that make my BF all lovey-dovey when I make them:

Taco Lasange
--------------------
2lbs ground beef, turkey or chicken
24 oz of spaghetti sauce (any kind)**
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 c chopped onion
14oz can sliced black olives

Brown meat with onions. Drain. Mix all ingredients together. ** Note - if you like your Mexican food with a kick, feel free to mix in a small amount of hot sauce or hot salsa with this sauce.

2 cups chopped green chili
12 oz cottage cheese
10 oz sour cream

Mix together is a small bowl.

14 oz corn tortilla chips - crushed
2 cups Mexican cheese

Spray baking dish. Layer chips, meat and cheese mixture. Repeat. Top with Mexican cheese. Bake 350 covered for 20 minutes, uncovered for 20 more min. Let stand 5 min before serving.

Better Than Sex Peanut Butter Pie
--------------------------------------------------

1 chocolate pie crust
1 beaten egg white.

Brush crust with egg white. Bake 350 for 5 min.

16 oz old fashion peanut butter.
3/4 cup of honey
1 8oz package of lite (like that matters!) cream cheese.
1 8oz cool whip.

Beat together peanut butter, honey and creem cheese. Fold in cool whip. Pour into cooled pie shell.

Toppping: 1/2 cup semi sheet choco chips, 1 tsp crisco (butter works, too)

Melt over a double boiler. drizzel on top of pie. Freeze for 1 hour or until set. Serve with favorite ice cream.

Bridget in Connecticut.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Bridget! Those both sound delish!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
So has the chicken worked for anyone yet? I''m cooking Easter dinner on Sunday and will be making a whole chicken.
5.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 4:57:02 PM
Author: sandia_rose
One of them said not too long ago, ''I have no idea why he stayed with her for 20 years....but she''s an amazing cook, and that might explain part of it.'' Hmmm.
I can explain this one...the fastest way to a man''s heart is through his stomach. Thats how I got my man.

ringless

Shiny_Rock
I''m trying this out next week... i''ll let you know how it comes out and we''ll see! lol A girl can dream right?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results