shape
carat
color
clarity

Endometrial Ablation?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Due to a complex series of events I'm considering this. I'm going through perimenopause and hormonal control doesn't seem to be working well, I don't like the idea of them, and they're complicating some of my other health issues.

Can anyone respond as to their choices? If you've gone through this I'd love to hear your experiences! I have a follow up with my gyn at the end of June and need to have a decision by then.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My mom had one. She had heavy periods for her whole life and found that she was anemic when she tried to donate blood with me. She was finished with having kids and didn't want a hysterectomy, so this was a happy medium. She had a general anesthetic, so she didn't experience any pain during the procedure. Afterward I think she had some mild pain and light spotting, and then her periods went away. She has much more energy now that she's no longer anemic.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Uppy. Since this hasn't gotten many responses, I thought I'd jump in, even though what I share is attenuated. My mom had oblations of nerves in her neck. She went under general and came out with mild pain. She was okay and back to normal within two days maybe. I can imagine this experience would be different with your lady parts, but my general understanding is that it is a pretty mild procedure with minimal recovery, risks and complications, but with fairly good outcomes. Wishing you the best with your decision making and that all goes well!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't speak from personal experience but we do alot of endo ablations at work, and 99% of patients go home with nothing more than paracetamol, maybe a hotpack if they're a bit crampy (no worse then mild period pain). They usually report light spotting during their post op checkup phonecall the next day, and that's about it. It's a safe and straightforward alternative to a hysterectomy.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input ladies. I appreciate the experiences, even if they aren't personal ones.

I can't believe no one else has had this done? From what I hear its a much more common procedure than hysterectomy, which is NOT where I want to go.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My neighbor had this done about 2 years ago, but it did not work (extremely heavy periods) at age 42. She then had to have a hysterectomy arthroscopically and kept her ovaries. She has been fine ever since.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my coworkers had it done, and she said it wasn't much of a big deal. She's not complained about her periods since, so it must've helped..tho I don't know if you still get your period afterward or not actually. I assume so? One of my friends is considering it b/c of her crazy periods..she talked w/someone who said..let me try to remember..I think she said she felt sunburned? Uncomfortable but not excruciating or anything like that. The paper in the City has full page ads quite often from the place that does it, talking about the procedure and what it does, what to expect etc, so I do think it's pretty common.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
My mom had one (she's in her 40's) and it did not work for her. She ended up getting a total hysterectomy. I am 29 and considered an ablation as I have developed very heavy bleeding since delivering my daughter in January. I decided against it because after taking a detailed family history and meeting with a geneticist it was discovered that I likely have Lynch Syndrome. In order to avoid cancer I am now in the process of scheduling a hysterectomy - taking everything except one ovary and praying I don't develop cancer in that.

My OB/GYN says that ablations work best in younger, thin women and often stop the bleeding entirely. However, my research online leads me to believe that ablations only work about 50% of the time. I'm not sure I'd want to go for an ablation knowing that it might not work and then have to get a hysterectomy anyways. I'd rather just cut to the chase and have it all taken out to begin with.

The other treatment that was suggested for me (I can't take hormonal BCP's due to a clotting disorder) was the Mirena IUD. Unfortunately, I have Medical Mutual health insurance and they routinely do not approve payment for an IUD for any reason whatsoever. I was denied 2x prior to getting pregnant with my daughter and I'm still awaiting their response for the most recent inquiry, although it's a moot point now since a hysterectomy is in my best interest.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results