shape
carat
color
clarity

Emotional purchaser...Emotional eater....

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Anybody else an emotional purchaser? Not necessarily a spontaneous purchaser. For example, I have a bunch of items that have been on my wish list for some time now and when I am depressed or upset about something, man I am antsy to pull the trigger! I have been having a bad couple of months over in the TTC thread and you have no idea just how close I am to send in some .25 and .15 point stones that i have to BGD to be to be recut and reset into a band like Gypsy's Aurora band! :bigsmile:

Oh and I am also an emotional eater...which I really which I wasn't. But there is an Irish Donut shop down the road that makes their own fresh donuts and oh yah, that was for breakfast!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know if this is considered emotional or not but when my DH does or says something that makes me mad...I treat
myself to something. He doesnt do it very often and the amount I spend is usually minimal (like less than $100) but
I can see if I was TTC and things werent going my way I could definitly benefit from a bling hit. It wont solve the problem but
it would hopefully distract me for a while. So...I say if you've got the cash send those stones off (in the mean time I'll send
some TTC dust).

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1306708010|2933294 said:
I dont know if this is considered emotional or not but when my DH does or says something that makes me mad...I treat myself to something. He doesnt do it very often and the amount I spend is usually minimal (like less than $100) but I can see if I was TTC and things werent going my way I could definitly benefit from a bling hit. It wont solve the problem but
it would hopefully distract me for a while. So...I say if you've got the cash send those stones off (in the mean time I'll send
some TTC dust).

I just finished writing in the thread about the post-it note in the fridge that I treat myself when my DH makes me angry (with his slobiness). Then I clicked on this and saw your reply!

I am an emotional eater and spender myself. I agree with tyty, if having your project completed will help distract you and get you through this difficult time and you have the money, then why not? Life is too short to not enjoy yourself from time to time. When you do make it through this difficult time, you will have something beautiful to remind you how strong you have been and that you can get through anything! So it's a SMART purchase-IMO. I hope things get better for you. Sending dust your way!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
tyty, thanks for the TTC dust! I'll take all I can get at this point.

lbaber, I like that you said it would remind me of how strong I have been during this TTC rocky road. It would be a special piece...

I think you are both right that making a big purchase is a fantastic distraction and that is why i am feeling the urge to pull the trigger! A couple of months ago, I got my first round of bad TTC news and my DH and I were in process of purchasing a new car and it was a great distraction with all of the researching involved. Plus it was exciting to get a new car!

I know I would still have to purchase some add'l stones but I have roughly 4 - .25 carats to use. Right now I have a three stone right hand ring with a half carat center flanked by two of these quarter caraters. I was thinking of pulling the half carat into a bezel pendent and then using the quarter carats in the new aurora type band with maybe 7 pointers. I think I'd get more sparkle and finger coverage with a band like that over the three stone. Anyways, I should probably get a quote. I have no idea what I'm looking at here!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizzy I feel like when people talk about an "emotional purchaser" or an "emotional eater" there is a really negative connotation, like it is out of control or the person is using those things as a means of *ignoring* their emotions and feelings, and ignoring the cause of their bad feelings. And that is certainly not healthy.

But I think that pleasurable things can be used in a healthy way to help regulate your mood or distract yourself when you are feeling down and confused too. If you are acknowledgeing your feelings, you know the cause, you have decided on a course of action for a solution to the cause of your sadness/anger/whatever, or maybe in some cases there is not a solution and you just need a little help to barrel through a bad time, I don't think there is anything wrong with buying something, or eating something, or doing something that feels good. I mean, you dont want it to be a bad habit that gets you in debt, or causes you to gain 10+ lbs, or causes you to ignore your family (in the case of a distracing hobby), or ignore your feelings and get out of touch with yourself... but careful use of pleasurable activities seems a totally valid pick-me-up to me!

I find that when I have something going on in my life that is stressful it really helps me to have a little "side project" in the bling world to occupy some of my mental energy. Its like a substitute for thinking too much or ruminating about that stressful thing. Sort of a happy distraction when I need it. And I definitely think that a well timed Blizzard helps a lot ;)) I admit, at this stage in my life expecting such major changes to come very soon :errrr: -- and feeling a little nervous about those changes because really, nothing I can do to prepare but wait and see what happens -- I have been spending a lot of time on PS thinking about a bling purchase for the summer. And I have been eating lots of Blizzards ;))

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, you said it exactly right that I need a happy distraction from constantly think about my TTC woes. I think that is why I am feeling the urge to work on a jewelry or a home project. Over the last 6 months of ups and downs, I have had some natural fun distractions along the way while planning my sons birthday party, a vacation, and purchasing a new vehicle. I am lucky that my DS keeps me quite busy! But I find that during my down time while he is taking a nap or is off to bedtime, all I can think about are my TTC issues. That's usually when I come on PS! I also think because I don't have a solid plan of action right now, it causes me more stress. I also am not spontaneous at all when it comes to big purchase. I leave items on my wish list for a loooong time before I finally pull the trigger. I just feel like I need a distraction!!! And maybe a Blizzard now! :lol:

Hey Dreamer, as a total threadjack to my own thread, my uncle works for Pepsi and he was telling me that in Canada they cannot sell any caffeinated products that are not a dark cola color. So they can't sell Mountain Dew or any of those energy drinks. I was intrigued. Is that really the case in Canada?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha threadjack indeed!

I have seen Mountain Dew in stores, so if it has caffeine, then we must be able to carry it! Next time I got to 7-11 for a Slurpee (i.e., in about an hour :rodent: ) I will look and see for sure! haha

I really love the Aurora band. Have you also considered a regular 5 stone trellis band too? It would likely be a little less pricey. You could use your 3 .25 ct. stones and add two more, or even add two colored gems (like sapphire or ruby) for some added pop! I think the setting itself for the trellis is about $1500 at BGD, another couple of .25ct uncerted stones might cost about $800 - $1000. So not too pricey. ETA: Noticed you have four .25s already! Where are the other two? I love your three-stone ring BTW it would be sad to see it go :blackeye:

I have been hankering for a 5 stone trellis for a long time, to wear when I don't want to wear my large solitaire. Part of me thinks instead of setting my two .35ct earrings as sides in a three stone with my 1.67ct, I should instead buy three more diamonds in the .35ct range and set them in a five stone ring for our fifth anniversary next year! I know I would loooove that type of ring, I have tried it on many times and adore the look. But then I would have to wait ;)) and I am impatient.

And the type of stress you are going through now is so the worst kind -- where there is no clear answer or solution! In some ways, you have to just sort of barrel through, and keep faith the situation will improve. Which it will. One way or another, you will get past this time in your life. But in the meantime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNxeovdN5U :))

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
ha ha! Dreamer, keep me posted on your 7-11 research! Definitely a perfect song choice for me too!

I actually have quite a few stones that i have had for some time that I am not using right now (and I hate that). I have a pair of studs that are .5ctw. They were purchased uncertified from a chain store for me by my DH when we were dating and I have no idea of stats. I'm not sure they would be up to standard on using for a ring, but I was going to see about what could be achieved with a recut possibly. I also have a 15 point stone that was a stud that I had in a second hole while I was in college. Again, not sure of quality, but I would say the cut on this one is better than on my studs. I also have a roughly 5mm stone that is in a pendant that is good quality. I wore it on my wedding and it is a basic basket pendent, but I just find I don't where it that often due to the fact that I don't love the setting now. I tend to wear more fashion necklaces which I think is part of the reason that I don't wear it often as well. My three stone ring is uncerted but was made by a local family owned jewelry store that I trust. The stones are uncerted Ideal G SI1 and I am very happy with the quality of those stones. I do really like my three stone, but I am getting DSS and it either needs larger stones at some point or a whole rework. I like my current ratio. So if I went to a 1 carat center, I would want half carat sidestones and that project will be quite pricey seeing as though my stones are not part of an upgrade policy, so I'd lose quite a bit of value. The items that have been on my potential wish list for awhile are:

1. an engagement ring reset (but I can never seem to pull the trigger on this one, because I don't dislike my current setting, I just want a new look!)
2. a thin shared prong eternity band to wear with my engagement ring (5 or 7 pointers from IDJ or BGD. I like that IDJ has an upgrade policy on their eternity rings)
3. the garland or aurora band
4. upgrade three stone

I like your idea of the 5 stone ring as well - perfect for your 5th anniversary! My issue is that I don't wear many different rings. I always wear my wedding set and my three stone RHR. I don't like the idea of having rings that aren't being worn. So I think I will either want the Aurora band or the upgraded three stone for the RHR, not both because I wouldn't want to have to choose which I would want to wear. But the eternity band is gonna happen for sure at some point! Just writing all of this out was actually a nice distraction from researching TTC stuff! Thanks! :bigsmile:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306778687|2933813 said:
Dreamer, you said it exactly right that I need a happy distraction from constantly think about my TTC woes. I think that is why I am feeling the urge to work on a jewelry or a home project. Over the last 6 months of ups and downs, I have had some natural fun distractions along the way while planning my sons birthday party, a vacation, and purchasing a new vehicle. I am lucky that my DS keeps me quite busy! But I find that during my down time while he is taking a nap or is off to bedtime, all I can think about are my TTC issues. That's usually when I come on PS! I also think because I don't have a solid plan of action right now, it causes me more stress. I also am not spontaneous at all when it comes to big purchase. I leave items on my wish list for a loooong time before I finally pull the trigger. I just feel like I need a distraction!!! And maybe a Blizzard now! :lol:

Hey Dreamer, as a total threadjack to my own thread, my uncle works for Pepsi and he was telling me that in Canada they cannot sell any caffeinated products that are not a dark cola color. So they can't sell Mountain Dew or any of those energy drinks. I was intrigued. Is that really the case in Canada?

I used to love Mountain Dew when I was a kid and I am Canadian! I also remember Crystal Pepsi, the clear Pepsi drink that was sold here for a while. I believe both had caffein. I haven't had Mountain Dew in a while so maybe there's a new rule, but I don't think so.

Wow actually, come to think of it, RedBull isn't dark cola color and I'm sure its caffeinated! I have a couple in my fridge...if the caffein law is real I should bootleg it!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been both! When we moved up to the mountains far away from all my friends, with a brand new baby, I bought a ton of
stuff from TV shopping channels. I think it kept my sanity frankly. My DH used to call them 'happy's'.

If my DH ticks me off I think about buying something really expensive and going on a shopping spree but I don't usually do it. Fortunately
that is pretty rare!

Even if I fall in love with something now, I usually wait at least a few days and see if I still feel the same.

Donuts are my weakness. I am fine if no one mentions them. I have recently found that I am sensitive to gluten and I found some
gluten free maple glazed that are in my freezer right now......whoever came up with donuts should be confined to eternal punishment
because of that alone. Darn those things.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1306798987|2934042 said:

I used to love Mountain Dew when I was a kid and I am Canadian! I also remember Crystal Pepsi, the clear Pepsi drink that was sold here for a while. I believe both had caffein. I haven't had Mountain Dew in a while so maybe there's a new rule, but I don't think so.

Wow actually, come to think of it, RedBull isn't dark cola color and I'm sure its caffeinated! I have a couple in my fridge...if the caffein law is real I should bootleg it!

Well now isn't this interesting? I wonder if it is a regional Canadian thing then? He told me that the largest sales of Mountain Dew are in NY state right on the border of Canada because they cannot sell it there due to the caffeine only in dark colored cola rule. Hmmm..... interesting....

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1306802750|2934103 said:
I have been both! When we moved up to the mountains far away from all my friends, with a brand new baby, I bought a ton of
stuff from TV shopping channels. I think it kept my sanity frankly. My DH used to call them 'happy's'.

If my DH ticks me off I think about buying something really expensive and going on a shopping spree but I don't usually do it. Fortunately
that is pretty rare!

Even if I fall in love with something now, I usually wait at least a few days and see if I still feel the same.

Donuts are my weakness. I am fine if no one mentions them. I have recently found that I am sensitive to gluten and I found some
gluten free maple glazed that are in my freezer right now......whoever came up with donuts should be confined to eternal punishment
because of that alone. Darn those things.

luv2sparkle, it is funny you mentioned TV shopping channels. When my son was first born and I was home a lot as I was getting used to nursing full time, I also used to order a bunch from QVC! As he got a little older and I got out more, that soon stopped. But yes, I totally went thru that too. I am not a frequent spender. I wait till I really need or want something. Now that my son is two, he has no patience for shopping at the mall at all. So every couple of months I go out for a mommy only night and do some clothes or shoe shopping!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306804914|2934150 said:

Well now isn't this interesting? I wonder if it is a regional Canadian thing then? He told me that the largest sales of Mountain Dew are in NY state right on the border of Canada because they cannot sell it there due to the caffeine only in dark colored cola rule. Hmmm..... interesting....

I live about an hour from Buffalo and we definitely have redbull, I think we still have mountain dew. The mountain dew might be a bit different than in the US. I've never had it anywhere else so I can't really comment (you'd be surprised about the subtle differences...like there are these chocolate things like m&ms that we call smarties, but we still have the sugar candy that Americans call smarties, we just call them rockets). I think I've heard about this rule before actually, when they got rid of the clear cola. I think it just died out everywhere though. Maybe its a myth that's based on something like a difference between Canadian and American Mountain Dew, or a drink that was banned in Canada for some other reason.

To answer your question at the beginning of the thread, I do find that I shop more when I'm upset about something or uneasy about something. I have a few things on my want list, and I usually buy one of them when I'm stressed about something. For example, I haven't heard back from a job interview I really thought I nailed, so I decided its as good a time as any to get that iphone I've been wanting. I didn't realize the two were connected, but now that I think about it, I think the shopping is directly related to stress.

ETA: I am reading online that Mountain Dew is indeed different in Canada, that is has no caffeine here. I think I need to check out a bottle next time I'm out. We still have it though. It doesn't make a lot of sense because I'm SURE that Redbull has caffeine in it and its about as clear as Mountain Dew.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Chemgirl, maybe that's it...maybe the Canadian Mountain Dew is different than the American one and that is why sales of the American one are so high on the Canadian border. Next time I see my uncle, I am going to ask him again what the scoop is. The smarties thing is interesting too. What do you call soda in Canada - pop or soda? In Massachusetts we call it soda, but it varies across the U.S.

I hope you hear some good news on your interview soon! I think purchases just make you feel better when under stress so hopefully the Iphone will keep you busy to hear you something back!

I just saw your update on the Mountain Dew...very interesting. I wonder if the Red Bull in Canada has a different amount of caffeine then the Red bull in US? Or maybe it is just clear soda that can't have caffeine.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306804914|2934150 said:

I really don't think it is regional. I suspect he is telling you an urban legend? :rodent: I have lived in Ontario and the west coast, and both places recall all the drinks that Chemgirl mentioned, including redbull that is still available, not to mention all those other energy drinks.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We call it "pop"!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306809967|2934210 said:
Chemgirl, maybe that's it...maybe the Canadian Mountain Dew is different than the American one and that is why sales of the American one are so high on the Canadian border. Next time I see my uncle, I am going to ask him again what the scoop is. The smarties thing is interesting too. What do you call soda in Canada - pop or soda? In Massachusetts we call it soda, but it varies across the U.S.

I hope you hear some good news on your interview soon! I think purchases just make you feel better when under stress so hopefully the Iphone will keep you busy to hear you something back!

I just saw your update on the Mountain Dew...very interesting. I wonder if the Red Bull in Canada has a different amount of caffeine then the Red bull in US? Or maybe it is just clear soda that can't have caffeine.

We call soda "pop" in my area.

Redbull might be different, but its hard to tell since its so sweet! I guess Redbull doesn't count as pop so it gets around the rules? I know we didn't have it when it was first available in the US. I also remember something about not being allowed to serve it with alcohol in bars. Again that could just be a myth because the redbull drinks usually come with a shot on the side that you pour in yourself.

Other differences I can think of off the top of my head:

Corndogs are called Pogos
Milk comes in bags instead of plastic jugs
Tissue is called Kleenex (I know Kleenex is a brand name, but that's what everybody calls tissue here)
Burgers must be cooked through (ie you can't specify how you want them cooked, there can be no pink).
It varies by province, but in my province you can only buy alcohol from certain stores: the beer store, the lcbo (liquor control board of ontario) and special wine shops at the fancy grocery stores. The wine shops can only sell local wines.

My ex boyfriend moved to Cleveland for school while we were dating and those were the differences that really stuck out to me.

ETA: and Taco Bell tastes really different. I don't know why.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, chemgirl researched it and they do sell Mountain Dew in Canada but it is caffeine free which is why the sales are high of the American version (which is loaded with caffeine) at the border. Totally makes sense! I'm wondering if Red Bull isn't classified as a soda and thus why it gets by. I always find this kind of stuff interesting!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1306811477|2934230 said:

Redbull might be different, but its hard to tell since its so sweet! I guess Redbull doesn't count as pop so it gets around the rules? I know we didn't have it when it was first available in the US. I also remember something about not being allowed to serve it with alcohol in bars. Again that could just be a myth because the redbull drinks usually come with a shot on the side that you pour in yourself.

Tissue is called Kleenex (I know Kleenex is a brand name, but that's what everybody calls tissue here)
Burgers must be cooked through (ie you can't specify how you want them cooked, there can be no pink).
It varies by province, but in my province you can only buy alcohol from certain stores: the beer store, the lcbo (liquor control board of ontario) and special wine shops at the fancy grocery stores. The wine shops can only sell local wines.

My ex boyfriend moved to Cleveland for school while we were dating and those were the differences that really stuck out to me.

I think we were posting at the same time. I totally agree that I think Redbull must not be classified as a soda and that is why it gets around the rules.

I have never heard of milk in a bag!!! That is news to me! Is it clear so you can see the milk or no? I'm picturing like a giant Capri Sun! The burger thing is also different than here. In fact, we have a restaurant called "Red Robin" and when you order your burger they ask you "some pink or no pink". Where I buy alcohol is called a Package Store. We cannot buy it in supermarkets at all.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306811818|2934236 said:
chemgirl|1306811477|2934230 said:

I think we were posting at the same time. I totally agree that I think Redbull must not be classified as a soda and that is why it gets around the rules.

I have never heard of milk in a bag!!! That is news to me! Is it clear so you can see the milk or no? I'm picturing like a giant Capri Sun! The burger thing is also different than here. In fact, we have a restaurant called "Red Robin" and when you order your burger they ask you "some pink or no pink". Where I buy alcohol is called a Package Store. We cannot buy it in supermarkets at all.

Smaller sizes of milk come in cardboard cartons and that's all I have in my fridge right now (was going to send a picture of bag milk if I had some). Bassically you can buy a large bag of milk that contains 3 1 ish Litre clear plastic bags of milk. The outer bag is printed with the brand info and you can't see through it. You put the individual bags in a pitcher that is shaped to hold the milk bag. We used to have "milk bag drives" in elementary school where we would see which class could collect the most milk bags (the outer bags) to take to the recycling center.

I was so freaked out the first time I ordered a burger in Cleveland. People in our group ordered them rare and that is totally against how we do things here. If its pink it gets sent back, even at a barbeque at somebody's house. People freak out as much as you would about raw chicken. It must be fine though since so many people eat it in the US.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can buy milk in plastic jugs too :)) Typically only the 4L size. But a lot of the brands I buy out here offer 2l in plastic jugs too.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306854268|2934440 said:
You can buy milk in plastic jugs too :)) Typically only the 4L size. But a lot of the brands I buy out here offer 2l in plastic jugs too.

Cool. In my area there are no jugs! Maybe its a regional thing. It does bother me to leave the bag open in the fridge overnight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results