shape
carat
color
clarity

Emergency kits for us

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
We are looking to buy emergency kits for my husband, our precious Petrie (doggie) and me.
Thinking maybe just buying one might be more efficient as I was going to put them together but don''t want to be running all over town looking for items.
Any suggestions on which ones to get online? Any tips on which items really aren''t needed or which item we should add?
I''m already thinking we need things like contact solution and case, hand sanitizer, hairbands for me, etc.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
And of course bully sticks for Petrie. She''d be sad without them.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Definitely make sure to have drinking water and all first aid supplies. I''d also do some canned or otherwise preserved foods and a can opener (if relevant).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
make sure you have benadryl tablets.
They can be a life saver.
At the first sign of anaphylaxis shock after a sting or bite chew a tablet.
Call 911.
If you have children then you should keep a bottle of liquid benadryl at home at all times.

An EpiPen is a good idea if you can talk your doctor into writing a script for one.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 6:01:54 PM
Author: strmrdr
make sure you have benadryl tablets.
They can be a life saver.
At the first sign of anaphylaxis shock after a sting or bite chew a tablet.
Call 911.
If you have children then you should keep a bottle of liquid benadryl at home at all times.
Ooh, good point! Thx strmrdr!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I need to do this for my house too... just a couple of questions...
Where do you store the kits
What are the kits for (power loss, disasters, etc...)
How long are they supposed to sustain you?

Thanks
1.gif
Great topic!

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 6:39:21 PM
Author: poshpepper
I need to do this for my house too... just a couple of questions...
Where do you store the kits
What are the kits for (power loss, disasters, etc...)
How long are they supposed to sustain you?

Thanks
1.gif
Great topic!
Good question poshpepper. I''m thinking more of a situation where we can''t stay in the house. In the rarity of a big disaster where ppl are displaced.
And you raise another good qs as to where to store. I don''t know anymore. I was thinking the garage but what if we''re not able to get to the garage??
As to how long they will be good for... bottled water is good for six months(?), some items that don''t perish are good for years and years, I''ve seen prevacuumed, sealed food good for 5 years on some sites.
Anyone?

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Btw, poshpepper, your ring is pretty. Is it a yellow sapphire? I''ve been thinking of getting one. Ever since I got my blue sapphire, I''ve been wanting a yellow one too.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Peepa --
Those are good points about the kit... I want to look into how long the shelf life would be of the components since I am so bad about remembering to replace stuff like that. I swear I need a list of stuff that only needs done once a year.
And yes my ring is a yellow sapphire... thanks for the compliment!!!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there are places to buy these things, and I *think* one of the advantages is that some of the items have longer shelf lives. That''s something to look at. We put together our own Earthquake Preparedness Kit (another thing to google as it''s sort of generic). Unfortunately, as we put some dog food in it for the dogs, mice got into the plastic bucket at one point. Yuck! We should have stored edibles in metal containers I guess. Also, no matter what you put in it, remember to have cash on hand too--you might not be able to get to a bank or use an atm. Always having a large bottle of bleach is a good idea as you can use it to sanitize water and other things. You need to look up how to use it properly. I remember they said use it in a rainbarrel full of water or something and that kept the water safe for a certain period of time (if you filled the rainbarrel ahead of time of course). Also an alternative means of cooking food and boiling water--maybe a portable bbq is a good idea. These are things to just have, not put in a kit. Or any camping portable stove if you don''t have much room, and fuel stored safely out of the house for that. Sounds like I''m Suzie Disaster planner LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results