shape
carat
color
clarity

emergency dress tailoring dilemma!

pannini

Shiny_Rock
im about to go into this tailor as recommended by the girl who sold me my oscar de la renta gown at a sample sale from a high end bridal shop. sadly, Yelp reviews gave this place a terrible image:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/wee-scotty-san-francisco?rpp=40&sort_by=date_desc
and http://www.yelp.com/biz/galigula-san-francisco

but then, i found this place and the lady said she'd be willing to do my alterations for the wedding, and that i can bring it in around late july/early august. http://www.yelp.com/biz/glenda-pongiglione-san-francisco

what would you do?

follow a bridal salon's high recommendation (because they do couture bridal tailoriing), or go with Yelp reviews?

i'm scared. i have a little less than 40 min from now to make a decision. i leave for the tailor at about 10 am.

anyone?!

A

Anonymous

I'm confused as to which one was recommended, but I'd trust yelp and not go with Galigula. Wee Scotty seems like it's a solid safe bet with 25 reviews and 4 stars. I rely heavily on reviews though, so I'm not sure if what I would do is the norm. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Glenda Pongiglione has 5 stars but the first Yelper says she isn't taking any more alterations until Nov 2011. But she seems to have the best reviews.

Galigula has 3 stars and less total reviews.

My choice would be Glenda hands down based on the reviews but I would talk to them and explain the specifics of your dress to make sure they can handle the level of tailoring you need and the quality of your dress.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1306428181|2930883 said:
Glenda Pongiglione has 5 stars but the first Yelper says she isn't taking any more alterations until Nov 2011. But she seems to have the best reviews.

Galigula has 3 stars and less total reviews.

My choice would be Glenda hands down based on the reviews but I would talk to them and explain the specifics of your dress to make sure they can handle the level of tailoring you need and the quality of your dress.

Ditto, I'd go with Glenda. It sounds like the first place doesn't have good service and is INSANELY overpriced.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
pannini did you get your dress from glamour closet? me too!

i am getting married in TX so shipped my dress here for alterations. i was also kind of worried about the weird mixed reviews of the tailor?!? do you know anyone else who has gotten married and has had to get alterations? i have a tailor in the east bay but I am not sure if she would be good for a complicated bridal gown. she was able to take in a pretty complicated dress (I can post pics...she had to redo 8 seams) and it looks perfect and was very affordable.

ETA maybe take the dress into Glenda for a meeting to see if you like her/if she seems professional/etc?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results