shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald shape questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
I was wondering what you thought about some possible chracteristics for emerald shape diamonds. I originally was looking for a VS2 but it seems many are trying to bump me up to a VS1. Personally, I think it may be just wasted money since it is so difficult to spot the difference. I was even thinking about the possibility of an SI1. What are your thoughts? I know that the emerald shape is more difficult to "hide" the inclusions than a round brilliant. Also, what about the color? I figured that an H was sufficient. Again, people are pushing the higher color. I figured it was to make more money!! If I stick to a "good" cut with depth & table between 60-70 and length to width between 1.5 - 1.7, then what is the lowest characteristics (based on my discussion above) that would produce a quality diamond?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
If you can find emerald cuts with table and depth in the 61-64% range, they could be great looking stones. As far as color and clarity go, it depends on many factors including your eyes' color and resolution abilities. You need to look at different colors and clarities in the size diamond you want to see if you can see the differences.

In general, it is easier to detect color and inclusions in emerald cuts compared to brilliant cuts. It's just the nature of the large planar facets in an emerald cut.

Regards,

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Gary is correct!

The nature of some diamond cuts have a tendency to
show inclusions better than other cuts. The emerald
cuts are one of those diamonds which are easy to look into and spot inclusions. I would assume that a higher clarity is sometimes advised for certain cuts to avoid
the visabilty factor of its inclusions.

Kirk Konst

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Hi,
If you go with an si1 that is a side imperfection, or not visiable from the top, It would be a nice stone,I just don't like the idea of the ratio that you had mentioned 1.5-1.7, Ilike it more in the 1.35-1.5 as the you don't want it to look like a baguette? Also my advise that if you go with plat. or white gold don't go below the I color,

good luck
1.gif

diamondsman

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses. As for the L/W ratio, I am looking for closer to 1.5. Good advice. I am either getting platinum or white gold. Most likely white gold shank and platinum mounting. This would save a few bucks but also provide the mounting strength of platinum. I have no plans of dropping lower than H color. I may be swayed to a G color though. Clarity? Well, VS2 sounds good, but you never know where those inclusions are so some VS2s may be dogs. But in general, I think I'll be safe with VS2.
Now I just need to decide on the carat. I'm finding that it's hard to be really picky when it comes to carat since it's difficult to always locate your exact preferences. So for now it's in the 1.2-1.5 range.
Oh the joy of diamond searching.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
read.gif
finally you got the whole picture right
9.gif

I agree with everything you said, there is only one thing left price,
9.gif

you really have to shop and compare and get the best diamonds for the price!!!

diamondsman
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results