shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Ring question

DanaPC

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new to this so I don't know if I'm doing this right. 10 Years ago or more maybe my Mom purchased an Em 20200116_133258.jpg erald ring as a gift for me from Ebay. I recently found it but have been wondering if it's even real. How are you able to tell if it's fake?Tried googling for info didn't help and I don't know what else to do. My phone camera is being stupid so pictures might now help someone be able to tell at all. 20200116_141316.jpg 20200114_132756.jpg .

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, it’s not really possible to identify a gemstone from a photo. That said, I would say your emerald is natural however it is more opaque than transparent. The emerald could also be treated.
the certificate that came with it isn’t a proper lab report, the group that was issuing those certificates was considered shonkyl unfortunately a lot of the “lab reports” on eBay aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.
i hope your mum didn’t pay too much, realistically the ring is not worth anything like the $5,800 the certificate suggests.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could consider getting it appraised by a known-good appraiser in your area or ship it to a reputable appraiser further away - that would be likely to give you the answers you are looking for but at a relatively small cost.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results