shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald or Tsavorite for Pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
hi all,

i don''t know much about colored stones and am seeking your expertise and knowledge.
2.gif
my sister is looking for a small green stone (~4.5mm) for a pendant. what do you all think would work best- an emerald or a tsavorite?

what are the different characteristics between the two and would one work better for a pendant than the other (i.e. does one chip more easily, is one greener, etc.)? also, how much do you think stones of that size would cost?

TIA for your help!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Either of those would be fine for a pendant. Emeralds tend to be more included than tsavorites and they are usually treated in some manner (oiled is acceptable, other treatments not so much). For that size, you could get a nice looking emerald or tsavorite for a few hundred dollars.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Tsavorites are usually more clear and sparkly to my knowledge. I think they are more durable too. That would be my choice.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The choice of setting also makes a difference. If you''d like a bezel setting tsavorite would be a better choice due to emeralds being more included (i.e. more prone to damage during setting). But if you''d like a cabochon pendant, emeralds are better IMO as inclusions give them more "character" and are not so much of a problem in cabochons. The choice of metal and prefered shade of green are also something to consider. Emeralds are usually more of a bluish shade of green so look best in yellow gold (makes them more green), while tsavorites are easier to find in "straright" greens or yellowish greens. BTW, if she likes stones that sparkle a lot, tsavorite is the obvious choice. The shape of the stone might also be considered as emeralds most often come in step cuts, which are not famous for a lot of life, so to speak, but are more "serene". And in the end, size is also a factor, as I''m pretty sure you have a better chance of finding a nice quality tsavorite in that size (top emeralds are usually bigger than tsavorites).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are lovely stones but tsavorite would be clearer, a bit cheaper and more durable.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Both stones are beautiful, but if she just wants a green stone, I think a tsavorite would be the best choice. They are untreated, and they usually have less inclusions, so it is much easier to find an eye clean stone. Tsavorites have about the same degree of hardness as an emerald, but are much less brittle. That would not be as much of an issue for a necklace, but it could be an issue for setting it. A nice tsavorite at the size you are looking at would be cheeper than a high end emerald. Mine is about 5.5 mm x 5 mm, eye clean, and a very nice color and I got it for less than $300. I don't think I would have been able to do that with an emerald.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the replies, everyone! my sis definitely likes sparkle so i think a tsavorite is the way to go (especially since they also cost less and have better clarity).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think your sister will be sorry - tsavorites come in beautiful colors, and, if well cut, have really nice sparkle
9.gif

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
thanks amber. btw, she loves your 5-stone band! she saw your avatar and went "ooooh!"
5.gif

where is the best source for tsavorites? any recommendations?

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
howdi!-my 2cents-emeralds are getting a little iffy-tsavorites are still available & a little more rugged material-there is a lot more fraud in the buying of emerald in the last few years-just buyer beware-the tsavorites are very pretty-show very well in most lights & usually have good green color. the tsavorites will take a little more abuse depending on what setting the stones are placed. if you are interrested i can post a pic of a tsavorite pendent i have-hope this info helps...

TanzyFan

Rough_Rock
Hello...

Depends on the quality that you want in my opinion, but I love the crisp, rich green of a Tsavorite. Much cleaner and clearer than an Emerald and gaining in popularity.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 4:22:11 PM
Author: sugar
thanks for the replies, everyone! my sis definitely likes sparkle so i think a tsavorite is the way to go (especially since they also cost less and have better clarity).

Excellent choice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the party but I''m glad she''s getting a tsavorite. It''s cleaner, a little hardier and easier to shop for. There''s no worry about treatments and such.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
<---- from ACS, but I don''t think there are any really nice ones up right now

I think Wink has sold at least one very pretty one to a pricescoper. It might be a stone worth finding a vendor and than contacting about. They are not very easy to find online, although there have been some nice ones recently.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone!

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
my boss has a square Tsavorite in a pendant. The stone is set in 18k yellow gold, almost like it''s own pendant. Surrounding that unit is a square of solid platinum with bezel set diamonds, slightly larger than the first. So it appears as though there is a line of yellow gold in the middle of the square... If that makes sense lol! Basically, square of platinum outside, square of yellow gold inside... I''ll try to get a picture of it for you. It is so pretty! I suggest Tsavorite ; )

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
sugar-this is a 20+ct pendent of tsavorite garnet-the stones are not the deep green but what is called neon green-lots of flash & pretty rugged-the stones were bought over several years & later assembled into this...

m7617.JPG

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like chrome diopside for a shot of green.

(Adding a new variable, just to make your life easier)

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
hello lady-chrome diopside can really be very nice-also known as russian emerald- most of these stones are very hard to find & usually not easily found for sale except on the web or jtv at times-the material is soft at @5-6 on the hardness scale so is usually good for earings or pendent-nice stones but sugar should stay with emerald or tsavorite-my 2cents-they do usually have excellent green color & avereage size @1-2cts...

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
since it was brought up-this is chrome diopside-a pretty good representation in pendent...

m7618.JPG

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for pics, m76. very pretty stones!

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
Tsavorites!!! Emeralds are beautiful but way too expensive. Plus for some reason, when I see emeralds..they look grease ...o_O
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, chrome diopside has a gorgeous green but unfortunately, I''d be too worried about setting and wearing it due to its softness.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe I am more foolish than most (I like to say braver... yeah, I fool myself like that) but I would wear chrome diopside on a pendant. Not on a ring, though. Then again, I wear a sphene pendant.

I get antsy about the setting process, though, and only trust these softer stones to a very good setter in my area.

Swala Gem Traders

Rough_Rock
OK, here we go Sugar:

Tsavorites are cleaner
Tsavorites are rarer
Tsavorites are always natural
Tsavorites have a higher refractive index (more "brilliant")
Tsavorites are cheaper

Basically, a tsavorite is what an emerald would want to be when it grows older ;-)

benell

Rough_Rock
I'm getting the impression that people don't just think that tsavorite is a better stone for the money, but that it's a better stone in general. I've always thought that emeralds have the deep, true-green glow to them that tsavorite doesn't. Perhaps I just haven't seen a proper tsavorite. If money is no object (but I'll admit, when is that ever the case?) then I prefer emeralds. But if you're going for sparkle rather than glow, then I agree that tsavorite is the obvious choice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results