Emerald Hunt

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
I'm hunting an emerald. . .

Shape: I would like round, but am willing to get a cushion if necessary
Size: 5mm give or take
Color: deep/rich green which I've seen called "old mine"
Treatment: none or minimal oiling

James Allen has a variety of options, but none speak to me.

I reached out to JRColombianEmeralds and Jorge had the four below. Prices were reasonable (each under $500), but are too light in color. 20210611_113727.jpg

I also reached out to B.G.Stones (Big Green Stones) and they sent a video of a minor treatment Muzo Colombian 5.3mm .53ct priced at $850 This is a screen shot from the video they sent.
Screenshot_20210611-100935_Video Player.jpg

I sent a email to a few others which I am awaiting responses.

I've looked a lot and feel like I am no where closer to finding it, but maybe you all can help point me in the right direction or have seen the stone I'm hunting. Thank you in advance!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of the stones you posted look like “old mine” at all. They look like typical medium to medium light toned emeralds, which is fine. However, I’d be leery of anyone using the moniker “old mine,” as that connotation means big $$$$. They look heavily windowed as well. The BG stones one looks nicer.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a particular budget? Bc JR Colombian has lots of inventory so I’m surprised they would show you those light colors but idk if it’s bc of the budget parameters.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a particular budget? Bc JR Colombian has lots of inventory so I’m surprised they would show you those light colors but idk if it’s bc of the budget parameters.

Thats what I was going to ask as well.

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
@Mreader and @lovedogs I have an open budget. I only told Jorge and BGStones that I was looking for a round emerald in the 5mm range as my specs to see what was out there. These are their responses.

@T L I agree with the use of the term "old mine", but thought it was a good way to convey the color I'm looking for. I am not sold on any of them, thus the request for help.

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
@Snowdrop13 I did see that emerald when I worked through the vendor list, but it is not the right color that I'm looking for. Thank you none-the-less!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aha. I would likely try to be open to alternative shapes and sizes in order to get the best color.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
i think it might be helpful to find some emeralds to show the vendors what kinda color you like. Also are you looking to set it in a bezel? i feel like bezel settings make the stone darker so ask JR Colombian to put in a bezel setting to give you an idea.

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
@fantapanda I have done just this! I found an emerald in the color I prefer, but the wrong shape on Jorge's Instagram. I then took a screen shot, drew a few arrows to that one that had the right color, and sent it to him with my explanation. Sounds like I'll be getting a few emerald options sent my way! Thank you!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to find an emerald too

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock
Have you asked @gemfactor_emeralds? I have seen very nice emeralds on that account and they have good prices

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
@derbygal if you provide stats of what you're looking for people on here are super helpful.

@Megan Hill I just sent them an email. We will see what they say.

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
@fantapanda

I did get a reply from Jorge at JR Colombian after I picked a emerald with the coloring I liked and requested a similarly colored emerald. Here are the options:

Screenshot_20210615-185905_Chrome.jpg

I am really liking the middle one. Jorge said he can have it sent to GIA for an additional $210, but I'm not sure if it is worth sending. Jorge says it is an F1 or F2 treated emerald and that has me a little tentative to buy without the report. Thoughts?

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
@kittystareyed I wouldn't send it to GIA just because of the cost in comparison to the cost of the emerald and the fact that they did mention it's either F1 or F2 treatment. But it's totally your call of course. Btw, desert_rose has a few emeralds on her IG stories right now. Lighter color than the Colombians but they do look glowy.

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
@fanta Thank you for your advise. I did see that desert_rose had a few emeralds, but they aren't the right color for my project. Again, thank you.

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock
@fantapanda

I did get a reply from Jorge at JR Colombian after I picked a emerald with the coloring I liked and requested a similarly colored emerald. Here are the options:

Screenshot_20210615-185905_Chrome.jpg

I am really liking the middle one. Jorge said he can have it sent to GIA for an additional $210, but I'm not sure if it is worth sending. Jorge says it is an F1 or F2 treated emerald and that has me a little tentative to buy without the report. Thoughts?

These stones look pretty. I agree with @fanta. However if the vendor is unsure, he should give you the price based on a moderate oil enhancement. It is a huge difference between a minor and a moderate oil stone.

Rare_Swan

Rough_Rock
@Megan Hill The emerald is 0.84ct and 5.9mm round. He said it is either F1 or F2 with cedarwood oil as the treatment. He's asking $800.

Here's a screenshot from a video of her in sunlight; what do you all think about her glow?

Screenshot_20210622-183034_Photos.jpg

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock
I think the price is very good. Is Jorge sure that the emerald has an old mine color? In the last pic it looks a bit light. The important thing is that when you receive the stone you fall in love with it and if not, that you can apply the return policy :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results