shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Clarity

gemseeker1066

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am in the process of looking for an emerald cut diamond and found a 1.63 G color, SI1 diamond. It hits all the points I’m looking for in terms of proportion, color, shape, size. The SI1 clarity concerns me but seemed to be eye clean in the jewelry shop and could only see small white crystals spread out under jewelers loupe. Also when it was on a sample setting I couldn’t see the crystals unless zoomed in.

I know for emerald cuts inclusions are more of an issue but wanted everyone’s opinion on whether this will be an issue. I’m more concerned about how it will look than the clarity grade but i know it could be hit or miss for grades under VS.

thanks so much

Here’s a close up of it under daylight zoomed in. I’m concerned maybe that although it was eye clean in shop maybe in daylight or other settings it will be more visible: 1CC3259B-4ACC-45F7-89E2-30149BE75EA7.png

Last edited:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
You’d ideally get a macro photo or a photo through a loupe. Zooming in so much for a typical phone or digital camera introduces what photographers call ’digital noise.’ I see a lot of noise in that photo, which makes a call on clarity near impossible.

gemseeker1066

Rough_Rock
Thanks I’ll see if I can get that from him. In general though, would small white crystal inclusions spread out in an emerald cut be something to avoid?

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I would suggest judging the stone with your eyes in multiple lighting conditions. This will be the true test to determine if it is eye clean. Evaluating super close macro photos will only amplify the flaws.

My emerald cut is an SI1, but it’s a thousand percent eye clean. My husband is hyper sensitive to inclusions and he goes on and on about how clear the diamond is. It’s true that step cuts typically don’t hide inclusions well - I may have just been lucky in finding my particular stone.

All of that said, will it bother you just KNOWING that the inclusions are there even if you can’t see them? If so, that’s another story altogether.

Last edited:

gemseeker1066

Rough_Rock
thanks that makes a lot of sense! Going to check it out again in person this week

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also recommend checking it in multiple lighting conditions. Bring a piece of paper you can use to kind of block the light around it so you can see it in indirect light. In my experience, inclusions like that are most easily seen by the naked eye when the stone is lit from the side by a very bright light or the sun. I don’t mind clear crystal inclusions that I can’t see 90% of the time and would probably be fine with this stone personally, but of course whether you would be is up to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results