shape
carat
color
clarity

Ekait pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chuan

Rough_Rock
In general, what percentage premium should I expect to pay for an Ekati diamond versus all others. I am currently shopping at Derco Jewelers in San Francisco. The price I was quoted was about 20% higher than a comparable diamond on the web.

Thanks for any input.

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous diamonds are mined everywhere. I see no reason why a diamond mined at the Ekati mine should be 20% higher!!!

A fine diamond is judged by its cut and brilliancy and any other mark ups are related to different branding - don't pay for the name.

Let me know if you need more help.

Isaac
www.dSCAASI.com
:wavey:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
a diamond sold through a retailer with shop front, services and agency to handle Ekati is going to cost more than an online diamond.
Ekati are one of the few diamonds that can currently be sold with a cast iron certainty as to where the diamond was mined.
If these things are important to you then 20% is a fair price differential. If not then shop online :)

chuan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I definitely expect to pay more for an Ekati but I wasn't sure how much more. Thanks again.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
chuan,

I carry a couple brands from the NWT. If you would like to check pricing drop me an email of the size and quality your looking for. I would be happy to quote you a price for you to make a comparison.

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Why Ekati Diamonds are priced at a premium....

Any Diamonds from the NWT (currently a single source, the Ekati mine, soon to be more) are priced considerably higher for a few reasons.

#1 - The rough - it is much more expensive on the market (Antwerp). The demand for Canadian rough is very specific.

#2 The parcels are of unusually high quality (High color and clarity).

#3 Cost to mine - It is very expensive mining diamonds in the NWT.

#4 Yields - Canadian rough can be tricky for novice cutters

#5 Cutting costs - ANY diamonds cut in North America are by origin - much more expensive. Any Diamonds cut in the NWT are equally more expensive still. There is one cutter there paying $100 us per carat for heating alone... that when the rest of the world's cost per carat are significantly less than $50 US for everything (Like some are less than $$20 US.)

#6 There cost of certing the origin of the diamonds - it actually costs quite a bit to set up a system and procedure that ensures when you buy a Canadian Diamond, it is actually Canadian diamond...

There are tons of other reasons too...

Buy what you like or can afford - pretty simple. The premium is well accounted for - it's not a cash grab.

RB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results