shape
carat
color
clarity

Egyptian Mau???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Izzi

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever been around one or maybe own one???

I was considering a boston terrier dog until I came across this breed of cats!!

emrose.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Egyptian Mau''s are gorgeous cats! If you''re looking for a good cat breed though check out Abasynnians. I have one and he''s the sweetest thing. Their heritage can be traced back to the first domesticated cats in Africa and we''re revered by Egyptians like the Mau.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an Abyssinian

200px-Kamee01.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I have a male, bronze egyptian mau (Seth). I also have a female, blue abyssinnian (Electra). They are both wonderful cats. They have more personality than most people I know. They will both be eight years old this year - but they still behave like kittens.

She is smarter, but he is way more affectionate (he is smart too, just in a different way). She comes up with her own ideas and he learns by watching (monkey see, monkey do). He''s so cute, because if you pet his face, then he will pet your face. He has also learned that my husband and I are to be greeted with a kiss when we come home from work. She is very quiet - he talks all the time (but he doesn''t really meow - more like barking and chirping).

My husband wants another Egyptian Mau - one just like Seth (he wants to name it Baby Seth), because he feels like he missed out on Seth''s childhood - er, kittenhood.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Also, I would happy to answer any specific questions you have about either breed.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to completely hijack the thread but Murphy (my Aby) also does the face petting he is by far the most loving cat I''ve ever known and is very patient as well and would be great with kids.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 4:40:28 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Not to completely hijack the thread but Murphy (my Aby) also does the face petting he is by far the most loving cat I''ve ever known and is very patient as well and would be great with kids.
That''s so cute! I generally believe that males make better pets (much more affectionate and loving).

Izzi

Rough_Rock
Oh my... I have so many questions!!!

I am wondering how they do with children? I have a little boy.
Are they easily housetrained?

Does your bronze spots stand out?? Have you ever seen the smoke?

Do you recommend your breeder?

Thank you so much, I am so excited to learn more about this breed!!!

1.gif

Izzi

Rough_Rock
I have looked into others cat breeds but this is the one that stuck out most to my husband and I.

Thank you for the pic though... what a beautiful cat!!!
1.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 10:26:07 PM
Author: Izzi
Oh my... I have so many questions!!!

I am wondering how they do with children? I have a little boy.
Are they easily housetrained?

Does your bronze spots stand out?? Have you ever seen the smoke?

Do you recommend your breeder?

Thank you so much, I am so excited to learn more about this breed!!!

1.gif
I think Egyptian Maus would be great with children. No problems with housetraining. Seth''s spots really do stand out - everyone who sees him comments on how exotic looking he is. His bloodlines are mostly from the Egyptian and Indian imports about 20 years ago. He has the recessive glitter gene from the Indian imported line - his bronze fur glitters and glistens in the sun. He really is stunning. He will be eight years old this July. Here is some history for you - the first Egyptian Maus in the USA were 3 imports in the the 1960''s. Here in the USA this particular bloodline is referred to as "original". As they were starting to grow in popularity in the 1980''s, breeders wanted to widen the gene pool - so they arranged to "import" bloodlines from Egypt and India. The glitter gene comes from the Indian imports. The Egyptian imports were literally feral cats snatched off the street. These imports did wonders to strengthen the breed and gene pool - HOWEVER, some cats from the Egyptian line showed temperament issues (they were certainly a minority) - in the sense that they retained some of their "feral-ness". I don''t think that is the case anymore - as there have been so many new generations in the last 10 years, that this issue has been bred out. My cat, Seth, is one of those cats - he is very primal and instinct driven. Here is my story:

I lost my beloved childhood companion, a Siamese cat named Sampson, due to old age. I went to a cat show and looked at all the breeds and decided I wanted an Abyssinian and an Egyptian Mau. I got Electra first, from a wonderful breeder in Cincinnatti. I then was searching for a male, silver Egyptian Mau. I found a breeder near Cleveland that had kittens available. I got one of her boys and named him Moses. Moses'' bloodline was a mix of the original and Indian. He was 3 months younger than Electra - they looked so cute together. Moses was the best little kitty ever - he learned his name the first day. He was also very well behaved - you only had to tell him "no" one time. He was smart, sweet, and very loving. Unfortunately, Moses had to be put down when he was 6 months old. He had a very bad disease and never really grew. The breeder said I could have another kitten - but I was hesitant, because Electra had been exposed to the disease and, at that time, doctors weren''t sure if it was communicable (now they are pretty sure it isn''t). I moved to California but kept in contact with the breeder (she still owed me a kitten) thinking that I would let my brother have the free kitten (I was just waiting for her to have more kittens). Electra didn''t like being alone all day, and was lonely. During my talks with the breeder, she would tell me funny stories about this boy kitty she had (9 month old boy nursing on a new mom with weeks old kittens, etc). He was a kitten she couldn''t place because he was unable to be handled - he was very social, but just couldn''t be picked up. I thought that he might make a good companion for Electra (around the same age - and very active and playful). She said if I wanted him, then I could have him. I named him Seth (they had been calling him "little boy kitty"), and she put him on a plane. I was right - they are great companions. When I frst got him - he was very skittish and easily spooked. I just let him be and left him free to do his own thing - he was Electra''s cat, not mine. Six months after I got him, a Electra got in bed with me in the middle of the night (as usual). When I woke up in the morning, I realized that it was Seth. It was such a special moment. He is now a completely different cat. I have had cats my entire life, and I have never encountered a cat with a sweeter disposition - even our vet says he''s "special". He''s amazingly communicative - he''s very upfront about his feelings, wants and needs. He also gives back as much as he takes - seriously, I know it sounds corny, but he could give lessons on loving.

Sorry, that was long. I don''t think the breeder is in business anymore - I wouldn''t recommend her anyway as she was young and in over her head. Where are you located? I know a lot about the different breeders (as there really arent'' that many) - and don''t worry about temperament - the skittishness is no longer an issue with this breed (and even with Seth, it worked itself out). Seth''s maternal great grandmother was from the streets of Cairo. His mother is Mecca Maat (you can google her) and his sister is Mecca''s Legacy (she looks just like Seth) - she had a wonderful temperament and was also a breeder cat.

I can''t say enough good things about this breed - I would have 10 of them if I could. They are the fastest breed of domestic cats (they have a skin flap that allows them to extend their stride). They''re amazingly athletic and LOVE to play with toys. One would make a great playmate to a child. For our next one, I want a smoke - but my husband wants a bronze just like Seth ( I guess we''ll get 2 ). The smokes are so cute (they look like little spooks), but they can really vary in appearance, due to how dark they are - I prefer the lighter ones with more contrast.

I guess I just wrote a book - but I am very passionate about this breed.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I also found this rescue organization in Cairo - they catch strays off the street and house them in this "sanctuary" and provide them shelter and medical care. Here is a picture of one of these feral cats in Cairo, digging in a dumpster - and he looks EXACTLY like my Seth (they must be related
41.gif
). Egyptian Maus truly are the cats that were worshipped by the ancient Egyptians - so sad that today they are viewed as a nuisance and are being poisoned in the streets of Egypt.

http://www.emaurescue.org/images/Maugarbage.jpg

Izzi

Rough_Rock
Oh my!!!
I think you did write a book!
emteeth.gif

But thank you again! I am in north western PA and have been looking into breeders that are driving distant because I do not want to ship a pet!

They really area special breed.

You said they are playful and would be great for a child but are they loving and like to snuggle??

How big is your seth??

I am not sure if we want a female or a male.... do you have any things you dislike your male doing???
I have never had a male cat in the house and I am kinda nervous!!!
emsmile.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 10:35:54 AM
Oh my!!!
emteeth.gif

But thank you again! I am in north western PA and have been looking into breeders that are driving distant because I do not want to ship a pet!

You said they are playful and would be great for a child but are they loving and like to snuggle??

How big is your seth??

I am not sure if we want a female or a male.... do you have any things you dislike your male doing???
emsmile.gif
Males are more cuddly and laid back - females are affectionate but only on their terms (that''s true of all breeds). I believe males make better pets. Either would make a great pet, but I generally prefer males. Males inside the house is not a problem (as long as they are neutered). This breed is definitely loving and cuddly. Seth is a lap cat.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh my!!!
emteeth.gif

How big is your seth??

emsmile.gif
Izzi,
Where in NW PA are you???! We lived in Franklin for years, and last year we moved to Seneca.
Lynn

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
If you go to breedlist.com - you can find some breeders that may be near you. I know of a cattery in Pittsburgh that is very good - called Bacamamdit. The breeders name is Linda. She goes way back and has been breeding for a long time. She is one of the people responsible for the breed we have today. There is also a lady named Janel - in Ohio. Her cattery name is Nile Babies. It is a small cattery but she is also very reputable.

Size - Seth is 10.5 pounds. Females tend to be a little smaller.

Izzi

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 12:52:18 PM
Author: Lynn B

Oh my!!!
emteeth.gif

How big is your seth??

emsmile.gif
Izzi,
Where in NW PA are you???! We lived in Franklin for years, and last year we moved to Seneca.
Lynn
OH MY!!!!!
I live in Erie but my husband and his family are from Oil City!! How funny!
We just moved back from wilmington nc cause that is where I am from!!!

This is diffinetly a small world!

emsmile.gif

Izzi

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 11:37:40 AM
Author: LAJennifer

Oh my!!!
emteeth.gif

How big is your seth??

emsmile.gif
Males are more cuddly and laid back - females are affectionate but only on their terms (that''s true of all breeds). I believe males make better pets. Either would make a great pet, but I generally prefer males. Males inside the house is not a problem (as long as they are neutered). This breed is definitely loving and cuddly. Seth is a lap cat.
I was wanting a male just worried about spraying!!!
I always heard males were more loving!!
I used to have a regular female cat and she was moody!

Izzi

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 1:04:46 PM
Author: LAJennifer
If you go to breedlist.com - you can find some breeders that may be near you. I know of a cattery in Pittsburgh that is very good - called Bacamamdit. The breeders name is Linda. She goes way back and has been breeding for a long time. She is one of the people responsible for the breed we have today. There is also a lady named Janel - in Ohio. Her cattery name is Nile Babies. It is a small cattery but she is also very reputable.

Size - Seth is 10.5 pounds. Females tend to be a little smaller.
thank you for this info! I trying to look it all up right now!!!

1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Izzi,
Haha! It IS a small world! I probably KNOW your OC family! My DD just bought a house on W 6th Street!
Lynn

Izzi

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 5:03:37 PM
Author: Lynn B
Izzi,
Haha! It IS a small world! I probably KNOW your OC family! My DD just bought a house on W 6th Street!
Lynn
Oh my.. it is a small world!!!!

It is not everyday you meet people from here!!

Italianeyes9

Rough_Rock
I have a 10 year old female Egyptian Mau, and she is unlike any other cat I have owned before. Although she hasn''t been registered officially, she has the basic look and personality. Although she is 10, she''s pretty small and looks and acts like a one year old :)

Do you know very much about this breed? I wonder if she is too old to have kittens, but I would like to find her a breeder bc she''s such a rare breed. If I had to classify her, I think she is a silver egyptian mau. I have a picture of her, I''ll post it sometime.

Thanks for any info ahead of time!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results