shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Cert - Cut Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
I have a diamond on hold currently and would like an opinion. I tried to post the cert but couldn''t get it to upload. Everything about the cert is below.
All of the diamonds I have looked at have been GIA. This is an EGL. How much different do they grade? I looked at many stones in the store and this one seemed to look great - even compared to stones priced $1k-$1500 higher(GIA). I just got the cert and would love some analysis. What do you all think?

1.33ct
7.12 - 7.08 - 4.29
Depth: 60.4%
Table: 56%
Crown: 15.1%
Pavilion: 42.0%
Girdle: Medium
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity Grade: SI2 (eye clean and VERY FEW marks on the cert and through a scope. I would say it is better than an SI2, but I am no where near an expert)
Color: G
Flour: None

HCA: 1.3 - Excellent

Thanks for your ongoing help!

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
please comment if you have an opinion.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2.01 ct EGL stone that I think has an accurate cert. The only thing that might be slightly off is the color grade - it''s graded G SI1, but it may be a low G or high H. Mine is also EX/EX H&A, which it states on the cert, and I think it came out to 1.8 on the HCA.

I know that some people think that EGL is not as good, but I would say that if you see the diamond in person, & check it out through a scope, & still love it, then you should go for it.

If you click my name under my avatar, you can search my threads, and see more pics of the stone. I think that if you see the stone & you love it, then you should go with it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Is the EGL a USA cert? I have an EGL USA/LA certed stone: 1.31ct, H, SI2, 7.12 x 7.09mm. My EGL cert from the jewelers only gives percentages, but if you have a USA cert, you can use the eglusa.com site to view certificates issued after 1995. I found that my online report also listed angles, which are more accurate if you''re using HCA to weed out stones. I took my diamond to Quest, and they actually thought the color was one grade better (although this was not an official appraisal, just a casual louping). Here''s the EGL site, in case you''re interested: http://www.eglusa.com/customerlogin.html

Bottom line - go with what you like, and get an independant appraisal if you''re really concerned, but I''ve had a few EGLs that I''ve been really happy with.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Cleve,

This page explains how the grading labs rank.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

If you like this diamond then make the sale final on it checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
My mistake - it is an EGL USA - Los Angeles
From other sites/comments, that makes me feel better. I will check out that online info today. My cert is dated March 11, 2009.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
I have some updated info. It is definitely a EGL-USA, from Los Angeles. I found the cert online and additional info is:
Crown Angle: 34.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.1

I am thinking about taking it to an independent appraiser. One who has idealscope and can give their opinion of the cert and how well it is rated. Any suggestions - has anyone ever done this? The appaiser said it costs $60 to do.
- Should I ask the jeweler to "borrow" the stone? I would think I have to buy it with a return policy.... ??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 2:06:57 PM
Author: cleve-rocks
I have some updated info. It is definitely a EGL-USA, from Los Angeles. I found the cert online and additional info is:
Crown Angle: 34.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.1

I am thinking about taking it to an independent appraiser. One who has idealscope and can give their opinion of the cert and how well it is rated. Any suggestions - has anyone ever done this? The appaiser said it costs $60 to do.
- Should I ask the jeweler to ''borrow'' the stone? I would think I have to buy it with a return policy.... ??
The pavilion angle is shallow so I would check it very carefully to see if it looks dark when you view the diamond closely. This is known as obstruction and shallower diamonds can show this effect more than others due to the shadow of your head and body affecting it. The independant appraiser is an excellent idea and personally I would want a pro to check this diamond out if I were the one buying it. You would need to come to some arrangement with the jeweller regarding the logistics but whatever you do make sure you get a return policy in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results