shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Cert and Appraisal Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PD

Rough_Rock
I have been reading the archives about the innacuracies found in many EGL certificates, and as I am considering an EGL diamond, I am wondering whether an appraiser would be able to confirm if the color, clarity and especially the proportions, are accurate. Since the diamond was so visually appealing to me I am thinking of just buying it and taking it immediately to an appraiser, but I wanted to make sure that an appraiser would be able to tell me that it is or is not really an E, SI2, and also verify the proportions. I would prefer a GIA diamond, but this one seemed more impressive.

I also ran the EGL numbers in the HCA and the diamond scored 1.7, but if the EGL percentages are off, then this doesn''t do me much good. Alternately, I could ask to have the diamond shipped to GIA for recertification. Does anyone recommend this? Any other suggestions?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I have been reading the archives about the innacuracies found in many
EGL certificates, and as I am considering an EGL diamond, I am
wondering whether an appraiser would be able to confirm if the color,
clarity and especially the proportions, are accurate. Since the
diamond was so visually appealing to me I am thinking of just buying
it and taking it immediately to an appraiser, but I wanted to make
sure that an appraiser would be able to tell me that it is or is not
really an E, SI2, and also verify the proportions.
-----------

A savvy appraiser can tell you this. I would recommend going with one who is familiar with the cutting edge technology that you see discussed in this forum.

-----------
I also ran the EGL numbers in the HCA and the diamond scored 1.7, but
if the EGL percentages are off, then this doesn't do me much good.
-----------

Yes, the "rounding off" policy of EGL does tend to be frustrating when you're trying to get the kind of accuracy PriceScope consumers are usually looking for. EGL is, however, light years ahead of GIA in this respect, as GIA doesn't even supply the crown height and pavilion depth information, much less crown and pavilion angles.

-----------
Alternately, I could ask to have the diamond shipped to GIA for
recertification. Does anyone recommend this? Any other suggestions?
-----------

Forget GIA. If you're going to send it out for major lab certification, send it to AGS. They'll give you the crown/pavilion information I mentioned above.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI PD...what happened to you Regent quest
Up_to_something.gif

they all have GIA Certs...

Or are you expanding your field to see what is out there...

Either way best of luck in your search

I made my Regent my avatar
appl.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
No probelmo...

I made it my screen saver at work too...

Thanks for all of your help...

PD

Rough_Rock
HI Diane. I am actually back on the RB. Since that is what she always wanted I am going to get her that, and if she still wants a Regent down the line we will get her another one!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the stone is an EGL without USA on the cert I would forget it.
EGL USA is ok, and because they have SI3 as an option, they can put stones that are border line I1's in that catagory.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hee Hee..I am all for getting her what she wants...

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results