shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL 2.06 D/SI2 H&A vs GIA 2.0 E/SI1 ... hear me out

CMC

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies and gents,

I have been on this site for a while, and definitely read up on GIA/AGS/EGL/EGLUSA etc. and am familiar with the opinions. Anyway, I just saw both stones with my bf yesterday, and am baffled by the difference in opinions of grades/prices etc. I''m not sure what''s more confusing than a diamond purchase!!

Here is the info I have:

EGL 2.06ct D SI2
8.09x8.05x5.09
T 56%
D 63.1%
crown 35%
Pav 41%
cut: ideal and H&A (I saw the loupe and it does have nice H&A)
inclusion: looks like a facet, and only visible at a specific angle (ie can be hidden when set)
HCA: 2.4

GIA 2.0ct E SI1
8.39x8.52x4.6 <--- looks way bigger than 2.0
T 63%
D 54.4%
cut: good across the board (cut, polish, symm)
Unfortunately no angles available to plug in to HCA

The price difference is a whopping $6k, and let''s say the EGL stone is in the 2 months salary range, and the GIA is almost 3 months.

In terms of my search criteria: 2 ct (BF''s criteria), G or better, good cut, eye-clean (SI1, but ok with this SI2)... and I''m wearing the ring not the cert. I don''t plan on upgrading either. To my eye, they are almost indistinguishable in color, but the size is very obvious. The light return, scintillation, fire are pretty similar too with the EGL stone slightly better.

With that information I mind... which do you pick?!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
RockyTalky will be more helpful on this one!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes try Rocky Talky...

but for now...I would pick NEITHER. Don''t have enough information. The EGL stone is probably a I1 and likely has visible inclusions in different lighting conditions. What is your budget?

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
get thee to rocky talky now!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is that a 54% depth?????!?!?!?!?!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post this in RT.

The EGL might work from a cut perspective - would need more info/pics, but ditto slg - GIA or AGS would most likely grade the SI2 as an I1 (which might be okay with you, esp. with a prongable inclusion). Need more info.

The GIA - does look huge, but it will be at the sacrifice of a LOT of sparkle. RUN.

A

Anonymous

I''m no expert, and I''d agree that you should ask over on Rocky Talk..however I''d be wary of the "good cut". There''s a HUGE difference in natural lighting between good and ideal cut, at least for me.

Also, make sure you''re comparing stones under natural lighting, vs only in the jewelry store''s enhanced lighting...they can make almost anything look amazing!

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I know this will probably get moved to RT, but for what its worth....
My criteria was 2 Cts, G or better, SI1 or better.

I ended up with an 2Ct, I color, SI1 with an EXCEPTIONAL cut, H&A. The cut made all of the difference and it faces up nice and white! I LOVE my rock!

You really have to just look in person and get a feel for what stone looks better to you. We bought mine on an island so I think I saved about 5K or 6K right off the bat, and its certified.....

It really is all about the cut.....

Haev fun looking!!!!

CMC

Rough_Rock
Thanks LIW''s... I don''t know why I didn''t think of putting it on RT! Good to know some other''s opinions too though , thanks!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
I think maybe look for AGS diamonds? I love how they have light performance grading.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results