shape
carat
color
clarity

EC''s ..show me some LIFE!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
My BF is searching for an EC for me now after I fell in love with the artistry of a WELL CUT stone. I''ve always been a "sparkle" girl, but suddenly realized that I love the craftsmanship and elegance of the EC. (I must be getting older!) That said, I understand that a poorly cut EC is dull and lifeless...and when I walk through a typical B&M, most of the EC''s I see are ''dead''. Yet, the jeweler we''re working with has shown me some stones that are full of life. I understand cut and clarity reign supreme when it comes to step cuts...
Here''s what I''m wondering.
I''ve read every "SHOW ME YOUR EC" thread I can find... and I know they are less ''sparkly'' by nature when compared to RB''s... but I''m looking for assurance from EC lover/owners that their stones throw a unique sparkle IRL and have a ''personality'' that make them come to life....

Any pictures that capture the sparkle/light return would be greatly appreciated.
(It amazes me how few EC''s are on PS....EC lovers unite and stand up for the timeless step cut stone!)
thanks!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
In case my first post was misunderstood, I didn''t mean to imply in the slightest that any of the EC''s here on PS aren''t well cut, and please know that I think all the EC''s posted here are UNBELIEVABLY SPECTACULAR!!!! In fact, this site is part of what sold me on EC''s...I''m just looking for reassurance on the liveliness of these often misunderstood stones...since several people I talk to IRL think they look like ''a piece of glass'' and the only times I''ve seen them come alive IRL is under jewelry store lights.
emotion-5.gif
I know TACORI loves her stone and has mentioned how it has a life of its own (Tacori, it''s GORGEOUS and I''ve probably looked at your ring dozens of times!!
emteeth.gif
)...and DIDIAMOND''S is beyond my wildest dreams....
I''m just wondering if anyone''s caught ''the magic'' of their EC''S in pictures.... because some people in my real life have questioned me lately on my choice since the only EC''s I''ve been able to show them as examples are the ones you find ''in the mall'' and those aren''t exactly the best examples of what an EC has to offer....

Thanks so much for your help. I think this site is made up of some of the nicest people....everyone is so incredibly helpful and kind!!!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at the fire thread? I think there are some EC shots in there (mine are there, but I''m sure there''s more).

It''s very true that ECs don''t have the "same" sparkle as a round - I think my EC reminds me a lot of those plastic prisms that we''d play with in 1st grade to get little rainbows on the floor. My (very few) jewelry obsessed friends have heard me say that ECs don''t have the same sparkle, but they assure me that my little guy packs a pretty good punch when it catches the light (and this is why I love my friends - they know the right things to say :).

Regardless - here''s some proof that ECs do have life!

emcutcrazylight.jpg

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
THANKS, Elmorton!!!
WOW...that really IS lively... soooo glad you were able to catch it in a picture (I know that can be sooo hard)...your ring is really beautiful!!!!

Also, I love the image of the rainbows on the floor....what a great visual
emsmile.gif

I''m still surprised at how few EC''s there are here on PS...and, to be honest, NONE of my friends/family have an EC...I guess the uniqueness, though, is PART of the reason I like them...ha!!!
thanks so much...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do love my stone. I am embarrassed I haven''t posted any new pics in years. Hopefully I can have a photo shoot soon. My EC (w/ imperfect numbers and all) sparkles all the time. It has NEVER looked glassy to me and I get lots of compliments on it IRL. I also like that ECs aren''t as common. I think they are elegant and like you said, timeless.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
You should check out the fire thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-fire-thread.77649/), there are many lively emerald and asscher cuts in that thread.

I absolutely love the fire in a step cut--I notice that I do get some "sparkle"-type fire in the windmills in my stone, but I really love the bold flashes I get in my steps. When the light is hitting the steps just right, you get very large flashes that extend the lenght of the step, so they can be several millimeters long.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I don''t know what kind of settings you''ve been looking at, but if you''re really nervous about missing out on sparkle you might consider a setting that also has rounds of some sort or pave - I think "little sparkles" look spectacular next to an EC. I will admit that I had *a few* second thoughts until I got my little "disco ball" wedding band.

I hear ya about being nervous about getting an EC - don''t be! Before we started ring shopping, I''d never actually seen one in person (excluding the two styles that Zales carries). And, it seemed like no one wanted to sell us one! I can''t tell you how many times we were steered toward radiants because of their sparkle factor - but DH and I were both very drawn to the linear, straight forwardness of ECs - and I''m still completely mezmorized (sp?) by my ring.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I cannot think of a bigger proponent of step-cuts than Deco! So, if she hasn''t already, she should add her feedback :)

I have an emerald cut now and have been through a few shapes....and really like mine. HOWEVER, I often find that I fall in-love very easy with many round brilliants I see...I take this as missing that extra sparkle.

So my thoughts are this: step-cuts have a great, UNIQUE, quality/sparkle. They are classic, and, I think, understated. But you have to spend a good amount of time trying the two different cuts on to be sure you are really an EC girl (still hoping I am
11.gif
)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 11:56:51 PM
Author: UCLABelle
I cannot think of a bigger proponent of step-cuts than Deco! So, if she hasn't already, she should add her feedback :)

I have an emerald cut now and have been through a few shapes....and really like mine. HOWEVER, I often find that I fall in-love very easy with many round brilliants I see...I take this as missing that extra sparkle.

So my thoughts are this: step-cuts have a great, UNIQUE, quality/sparkle. They are classic, and, I think, understated. But you have to spend a good amount of time trying the two different cuts on to be sure you are really an EC girl (still hoping I am
11.gif
)
Ditto. I originally wanted ECs because they are unusual and original. I have EC sidestones on my three-stone, but just got an RB and fell in looooove with it in a way that I never fell in love with my ECs. I think ECs look best really close up, staring into their depths, but from a distance nothing beats an RB for its ability to catch the eye. This picture shows what I love about ECs... and I also get broad flashes occassionally, but only about 1% as much as my RB (mind you my ECs aren't excellent cuts, so maybe more action happens when they are better cut)...

ETA: I love my ECs much more now that I have an RB to satisfy the need to fire and sparkle... I can accept them for what they are--beautiful and lovely--without needing them to be firely and sparkle-crazy.

dreamerpicx29.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 8:21:54 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
You should check out the fire thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-fire-thread.77649/), there are many lively emerald and asscher cuts in that thread.

I absolutely love the fire in a step cut--I notice that I do get some ''sparkle''-type fire in the windmills in my stone, but I really love the bold flashes I get in my steps. When the light is hitting the steps just right, you get very large flashes that extend the lenght of the step, so they can be several millimeters long.
I''ve noticed this too.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am an emerald cut lover, and a nice one can be the bomb.

So elegant and timeless. But I would love a gorgeous round diamond in a halo, or a cushion in a halo, by Leon, as a RHR. I really think that could be different and great too. But trust me I love my stone and it is clean and clear and stunning.

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Ladies..I think you are all spelling out everything I''m feeling!!!!
I''ve already done the RB route (this is a 2nd time around thing for me
emwink.gif
) so I think I have a ''thing'' about it NOT being the same.. and I wanted something really different and have been drawn to the EC''s...but just find that people question me more than I QUESTION ME...which then makes me think...hhhmmmm....does that make sense??
As I said in an earlier post, though...the only reason they questioned was because when I was younger I was ALL ABOUT the RB... and because the EC''s I''ve shown people (because they had NO IDEA what one even looked like, which shows how few are around me on a daily basis) are really POOR examples of what an EC can be.... in fact, a couple of times, they weren''t even diamonds, but CZ''s I showed people in a case...so you can imagine how they looked!!!!
That said, I HAVE seen some that are spectacular....and my jeweler assures me that anyone who says that EC''s look like glass (the windowing effect) have seen lesser cut diamonds and that a well cut version has a lot of punch and a lot of personality/life...albeit more broad flash as opposed to a ton of pinpoint flash.

UCLA...I''m hearing hesitation in you...that makes me feel sad...your ring is so gorgeous....

EL... yeah, I haven''t gotten to bands yet...but I''m playing with the idea of a band with a little sparkle in it ...yiour set is so beautiful!!!!

DIAMOND... I hear ya...I think a RHR may be the right balance for me as well... and maybe a sparkly rb or cushion....since I think the issue is that I like BOTH...ha!!!!

I''m hoping DECO and CHICAGO GIRL and anyone else with an EC weighs in as well...
Thanks for your help, ladies!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
I hope Dani sees this thread and gets some good pictures b/c her stone is ROCKIN'' in person...there is so much life and tons of fire, like nothing I''ve ever seen from an EC. Makes me wish I had one...I guess somewhere down the line!

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Here are some pics....I love ECs....I have always loved ECs. I love the big bold flashes I get from my EC and on a sunny day it sparkles like crazy!
When I''m indoors it doesn''t sparkle nearly as much but hopefully the new halo setting I ordered will help!
1.gif

PC310080.JPG

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
OK, DANI....let''s see how your EC rocks! I''ve always loved looking at yours, btw!
emteeth.gif

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
WOWZA, I DREAM OF ICE....
Now THAT''S what I needed to see!!!! I can really see that thing dance....
I can tell how excited you are, as well....love it, love it!!!!!! yippee!!!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I love my EC.

Love.
30.gif

It's different from what I see every day. It's not flashy or pretentious, it's classy and refined. I like to think of myself as being like that, as well. heehee.
31.gif

According to the stats provided to me by PS, my EC is not cut to perfect proportions (my fiance bought the ring from an online vendor without any help from PS). I guess it's supposed to be "glassy" or something...but I really have no idea what that means. But it has enough life and personality to handle itself pretty darn well up against all those RBs and Asschers that my friends have. I love the giant flashes of white light and fire it gives. I never much liked diamonds with millions of tiny facets so for me - try as I may - I just do not like a round for me, and that's that. So my diamond is just perfect.

Only thing is...you kind of have to keep an EC clean - that's when it looks its best.

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
TBE...I love yours, too!
I''ve heard that before about keeping EC''s clean...but, even though I''m a NEW poster, I''ve been lurking for a while and definitely consider myself a PS''er at heart...I''d clean my ring 5x/day if that''s what it took!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
IDREAM...
question: it seems like there''s so much pinpoint flash in your shots...that seems so unusual...how''d you get that in your shots????
AND...do you see that beneath the steps in real life?

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure....I was just so excited I just started taking pictures left and right. I don''t think I understand your question about seeing beneath the steps...I can see all the individual steps....
1.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Here's one of the pics I took of my EC. I'm not the best with my new camera, yet. I still haven't gotten any outside ones (tsk tsk) but I'll have to do that soon...

and yes...mine is dirty right now, so it's not really showing much spark, except at an angle (which is why I think you asked that question about idreamofice's diamond...at an angle, an EC shows much more pinpoint because the facets cross over each other (not a technical term, I'm sure).

sisttt.jpg

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
idream... first, your avatar looks like it's lit from within...i've never seen anything like it...absolutely mesmerizing.... i'll just take your twin stone and be done with it!
emwink.gif

Sorry, I did a bad job asking my earlier question. What I meant was, do you see tiny facets beneath the long steps? In the pictures, it looks like there's a lot of "sparkle" (similar to what you'd find in a rb) beneath the defined steps....does that make sense?
either way...gorgeous!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
beautiful... tbe! it really lights up...
do you find the halo adds a lot of pizazz in terms of ''life''????

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
DREAMER...love the sapphire with the EC sides...such a classy combo...
sounds like you have a great collection!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
NEW ENGLAND...I love your description...I think that''s what I LOVE about step cuts...I really do like broad flashes..
I love your setting....

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 10:38:38 AM
Author: GemALLogist
idream... first, your avatar looks like it''s lit from within...i''ve never seen anything like it...absolutely mesmerizing.... i''ll just take your twin stone and be done with it!
emwink.gif

Sorry, I did a bad job asking my earlier question. What I meant was, do you see tiny facets beneath the long steps? In the pictures, it looks like there''s a lot of ''sparkle'' (similar to what you''d find in a rb) beneath the defined steps....does that make sense?
either way...gorgeous!
Thank you! It''s okay...I can be a bit slow..lol. The sparkle is from the facets from the corners and the big bold flashes I see are from the steps....I hope I''m making sense.
37.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 10:39:27 AM
Author: GemALLogist
beautiful... tbe! it really lights up...

do you find the halo adds a lot of pizazz in terms of 'life'????

To answer your question the best way I know how, my favorite type of halo is around a step-cut diamond. Even before I knew the term "halo," I loved the way the tiny RB's surrounded and shined in stark contrast to the long, skinny steps of the EC. A step-cut breaks up the halo so it can really showcase the center stone. I find that brilliant cuts in halos tend to look busy, and it can get hard to tell where the center diamond ends and the pave begins. Just my opinion, of course, there are certainly many who would disagree.

Thanks for your compliments, too. I hope to get some nice photos of it outdoors...I feel I still have yet to capture it justifiably on film.

Oh, and on a side note...if you like EC's, you may also like the look of a cushion. Yes I know, they are very very different. But cushions also carry with them those more broad flashes of light, and they have sort of a square shape. I'm thinking of getting a pair of cushion earrings one day. And if I ever upgrade, I'll probably go for a cushion.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Tbe - I love your ring. Your ring was an inspiration for me! I finally took the plunge and ordered a halo setting!
1.gif

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
TBE...love the halo around yours...I think I''m thinking about a three-stone set up...I''ll keep you posted!!!
IDREAM...can''t WAIT to see the halo around yours....when''s it coming in??!!

I''m getting excited...

more pics of broad flashes anyone???

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER ABOUT THE FIRE THREAD, NEW ENGLAND LADY... I went through the entire thing... I literally got a headache from the blinding flashes..ha! WIDGET''S asscher was the most unbelievable thing I''d ever seen in terms of fire jumping off the stone...she should take that show on the road!!!!! (WIDGET, if you see this...your ring is TDF!)

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
They said 4-6 weeks....it''s only been 2 so far....I''m not sure how much longer I can wait...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results