shape
carat
color
clarity

EC''s ..show me some LIFE!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 11:00:11 AM
Author: idreamofice
Tbe - I love your ring. Your ring was an inspiration for me! I finally took the plunge and ordered a halo setting!
1.gif

REALLY?!
36.gif

What a compliment! Especially considering that your EC is one of the prettiest on here! It always is so bright and sparkly!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 11:56:51 PM
Author: UCLABelle
I cannot think of a bigger proponent of step-cuts than Deco! So, if she hasn''t already, she should add her feedback :)

I have an emerald cut now and have been through a few shapes....and really like mine. HOWEVER, I often find that I fall in-love very easy with many round brilliants I see...I take this as missing that extra sparkle.

So my thoughts are this: step-cuts have a great, UNIQUE, quality/sparkle. They are classic, and, I think, understated. But you have to spend a good amount of time trying the two different cuts on to be sure you are really an EC girl (still hoping I am
11.gif
)

UCLA - I''ve been in love with your EC since I first was a member of PS. It''s a shame you have questions about it still. If you upgrade to a RB, can I have your EC?

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 8:21:54 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
You should check out the fire thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-fire-thread.77649/), there are many lively emerald and asscher cuts in that thread.

I absolutely love the fire in a step cut--I notice that I do get some ''sparkle''-type fire in the windmills in my stone, but I really love the bold flashes I get in my steps. When the light is hitting the steps just right, you get very large flashes that extend the lenght of the step, so they can be several millimeters long.

So well-said. I knew there was a reason I liked ya.
2.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 12:10:58 PM
Author: tberube
REALLY?!
36.gif

What a compliment! Especially considering that your EC is one of the prettiest on here! It always is so bright and sparkly!
Yes!
9.gif
Everytime I see you avatar I think wow! Like you said I just love the contrast between the two different cuts. I thought I really wanted a 3 stone ring but after seeing yours I knew I had to go with a halo setting! I can''t wait to get mine.
1.gif

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
SOOOOOO happy to have ignited a STEP CUT THREAD again....we have to keep this going...
emteeth.gif

and, SOMEHOW...we have to get FASHIONVICTIM to reappear with pics of her mom''s upgrade... have you seen the pictures she teased us with?
I mean, come on, a 2ct EC...which she demo''d on her tiny 3.75 hand, no less...and only two pictures??? Are you kidding me??!! LOL....

I''m hoping to hear from other step cutters... like SNOOPER, DIDIAMOND,SHMINBABE...I wish FRAN FINE would come back but I hear she''s been gone for a while...and anyone else...
looking for real life experiences beyond specs... personality in the stones...reactions you get IRL...how you ''feel'' now that you''ve owned them for awhile..etc...
this is so much fun!!!

IDream and tbe...you girls rock!!

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 8:21:54 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
You should check out the fire thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-fire-thread.77649/), there are many lively emerald and asscher cuts in that thread.

I absolutely love the fire in a step cut--I notice that I do get some ''sparkle''-type fire in the windmills in my stone, but I really love the bold flashes I get in my steps. When the light is hitting the steps just right, you get very large flashes that extend the lenght of the step, so they can be several millimeters long.
This is so true! I love it when I catch my ring doing this. Here are a couple pictures of my emerald cut that I already posted in the fire thread. Emerald cuts definitely have fire, it''s just a little different than what you get wtih a round diamond...

IMG_3152sm1.jpg

staci76

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_3733sm1.jpg

staci76

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_3142sm1.jpg

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
OMG... Staci....unbelievable! I''m so happy you popped in... I went through the ENTIRE fire thread last night...and I kept going back to your set...LOVE IT!
Are you loving your baguette band with your EC? I"m considering that as well...
GREAT pics...your rings are beautiful....

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the compliments GemALLogist. I really love the baguette band with my emerald cut diamond solitaire. It adds a little extra to the solitaire without taking anything away from it IMO. I originally tried the solitaire with a plain platinum band and it was just too plain for me. As soon as I saw it with the baguette band, I knew it was a winner.
30.gif
I love it when the emerald cut diamond spins a little to the side and I can still see flashes of light coming from the baguette band. I''ve always been partial to step cut diamonds though...I love the broad flashes of light. Rounds are truly beautiful and sparkle like crazy but emerald cuts are in a class all their own.
2.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Since the sun only comes out 3 days a year in chilly jockoland, its very difficult for me to get a fire shot of my ec''s however I do have a well fire shot on my mobile so I''ll upload that as soon as my pc is working to let you have a look. On my DH''s puter at the moment so don''t have access to my files.
20.gif

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
Staci...yep... they are in a class all their own... I think they are often misunderstood...and I think part of that is because there are too many poorly
cut versions out there....

This is how I think of a well cut EC:
Classy, elegant, beautiful, understated...but far from boring and dull...
In fact, she has a fire all her own that's ready to break out at any moment and surprise you with a flare you don't anticipate....anyone know what I mean????
ha!

Po... your set is so unique and beautiful...get outside and get some shots, will ya??
emwink.gif

SOooo excited to find people who see what I see...and I'm still in the 'hunt for a stone' phase!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Staci, I love your set! Your solitaire is gorgeous, and I just adore your shared prong EC band!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 4:33:04 PM
Author: vespergirl
Staci, I love your set! Your solitaire is gorgeous, and I just adore your shared prong EC band!

Ditto!
Staci, every time I see your photos, I crave an EC. I love the long flashes of light. ECs are truly the most elegant cut.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Idream, you''re so sweet! I can''t wait to see your final setting...that thing''s going to be a blinder!

And GemAllogist, thanks for letting me show off my EC! This place is so full of RB''s, I hardly ever see any of my own kind!! Ha...
19.gif

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
No prob!! I''m loving this....and am anxious to become part of your club..ha!!!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
Staci...
What are the specs on your ering and band?
Do you have a thread on those bad boys? Please, feel free to threadjack, but they deserve to be front and center where the whole PS community can marvel ....and drool!

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you vespergirl and coatimundi.
1.gif
My emerald cut diamond tends to be a little thinner/ longer than most you see nowadays (approx 1.50 l/w ratio) but I think it actually makes the EC brighter in a way because there are longer flashes of light due to this ratio (like in the second pic I posted). Plus the l/w ratio helps make my fingers look longer too.
31.gif

GemALLogist, I think you brought up a great point...there are a lot of emerald cut diamonds that are poorly cut which ends up giving them a bad rap so to speak. I agree what you said about a well cut EC too...so true.
1.gif

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you GemALLogist. We must have been posting at the same time...

I keep meaning to start a thread for my set...I want to take some new pictures of it first though. My emerald cut diamond is 1.05cts, F / SI1 (there are two clear / white inclusions that I can only barely see if I look at it a certain way - hard to come by but a great deal if you can find a nice SI1 diamond) and it is set in platinum. The baguette diamond band is also set in platinum, approx 0.50ctw (11 diamonds), F-G / VS1-VS2.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m here! I''m here! (ears=burning) Yes, I am a step-cut lover ... and my ER is a square emerald (asscher-ISH) ... but my opinion is: you kinda have to love them. I mean, accept no substitutes love them -- because they are COMPLETELY different than what MOST people think of as "diamondy".

What I love about them is the OPPOSITE of what most people want in a stone -- I love its SUBTLETY. (And, yanno .. its icy optics and angular intrigue).

The fact that you''re looking for pictures that prove its beauty makes me worry that you won''t actually like one in real life. Day to day. That you may like the *idea* of it (elegant, sophisticated, understated etc etc) but that once you have it all you''ll see are the drawbacks -- the negative comparisons to EVERY OTHER CUT out there.

Frankly, even if you get a stunner of an EC ... ideally cut & full of "personality" ... IMHO your friends are gonna be all MEH about it. They won''t "get it". So if others opinions are at all important to you ... I''d pass on an EC.

They tell writers & actors & artists of all kinds ... if you can possibly do ANYTHING ELSE, do it. I''d say the same about EC''s. If you can TOLERATE any other cut ... do it. If you can''t -- no amount of dodgy pictures or unmoved friends will keep you from the EC you crave.
2.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 5:55:38 PM
Author: decodelighted
I'm here! I'm here! (ears=burning) Yes, I am a step-cut lover ... and my ER is a square emerald (asscher-ISH) ... but my opinion is: you kinda have to love them. I mean, accept no substitutes love them -- because they are COMPLETELY different than what MOST people think of as 'diamondy'.

What I love about them is the OPPOSITE of what most people want in a stone -- I love its SUBTLETY. (And, yanno .. its icy optics and angular intrigue).

The fact that you're looking for pictures that prove its beauty makes me worry that you won't actually like one in real life. Day to day. That you may like the *idea* of it (elegant, sophisticated, understated etc etc) but that once you have it all you'll see are the drawbacks -- the negative comparisons to EVERY OTHER CUT out there.

Frankly, even if you get a stunner of an EC ... ideally cut & full of 'personality' ... IMHO your friends are gonna be all MEH about it. They won't 'get it'. So if others opinions are at all important to you ... I'd pass on an EC.

They tell writers & actors & artists of all kinds ... if you can possibly do ANYTHING ELSE, do it. I'd say the same about EC's. If you can TOLERATE any other cut ... do it. If you can't -- no amount of dodgy pictures or unmoved friends will keep you from the EC you crave.
2.gif

I agree with you 100%, Deco. No other type of stone "does it" for me like a fabulously-cut EC.... I do like cushions as well though....just not as much!

My own EC does sparkle like mad, and I do believe it could hold its own even against a well-cut RB. I adore it, and really dont ever see myself owning any other type of stone!

GemAll- I will try to take some pics for you of my ring over the next couple of days....
2.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring does not have the kind of "fire" round brilliant cut has, but I still like to think that it has lots of "life" as I love looking at it every moment I get! :)

DSCN3952.jpg

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
DANI...thanks...can''t wait for PICS!!!

ZHU...love your ring...always have...and I can tell it has life!!

DECO... thanks...I''ve been waiting to hear from you! You''re like the STEP CUT PROPHET...so wise!
emteeth.gif
I ABSOLUTELY love EC''S... I don''t doubt that. Actually, I went and tried some more on tonight and love, love them... I guess what confuses me is why so few people ''get it'' as you said. I can''t understand why other people can''t see what I see. I also don''t see why people don''t think EC''s have great light return in the ''broad flash'' sort of way. The last couple of times I tried on whatever I could get my hands on just to pass the time until mine is finally designed, etc...I got a migraine from the flashes of light in my eyes! LOL And what''s up with no larger stones ever being in stock in typical B&M''s??? OK... I digress...

Another thing that''s funny... I guess I''m not typical in the "EC MOLD" sense because I DO love other stones as well. Everyone, even sales people say, "If you''re an EC lover, you must NOT love radiants; you''re either one or the other," for example. I''m sitting there thinking, "NO...I love BOTH!" (Well, sometimes...I''ve seen radiants I love and some I don''t like at all. Some of the radiants here on PS are stunning!) I had a RB once upon a time and loved it. I see RB''s here on PS and everywhere and love them. Same with some pears, marquises, etc..I don''t really know a lot about cushions but they look gorgeous. But I ALSO LOVE EC''S...SOOOO BEAUTIFUL. Deco, I can already sense your response asking why I feel the need to defend myself... I''m just getting antsy I think because I usually follow "the rules"...and I don''t fit the "ECs OR NOTHING" rule of thumb...ha

Honestly, at the heart of this ''spinning may be lack of control...ha! My beloved, wonderful, sweet BF wants me to be soooooo happy and asked me to pick out my DREAM shape and side stones...and I DID...and now it''s all up to him...and I guess not knowing what he''s doing is making me sorta crazy...can anyone relate?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 8:31:53 PM
Author: GemALLogist
I guess I''m not typical in the ''EC MOLD'' sense because I DO love other stones as well.
Maybe I didn''t quite phrase it right ... because I like other shapes/cuts as well ... I just *needed* an SEC for my e-ring (if that makes sense??). I''d *love* an OEC or a Cushion or even RBs (in yummy bezel studs or a pendant)... and I adore other octagonal cuts like Lucidas .... I guess what I was trying to say is that OWNING an EC as your "primary" stone takes unwavering commitment, because the odds (& popular opinion) are so against you.

I don''t get why people aren''t as into ECs either -- but I realize now that that is the case. Some of it is trend-cycle oriented. Some is just what people have been exposed to, what their subconcious idea of a "diamond" is. Etc etc. I will say that my mom & aunt both had EC e-rings, so I''m sure that played into my long term appreciation of them (with a slight, um, SQUARE departure).

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
TBRUDE and Gemallogist- Thank you for your comments on my ring. I do love it, but I think I miss the sparkle of a round diamond on certain days...which is why I find myself wanting to change it sometimes :) I have the Tiffany Aria earrings and when I put them up next to my e-ring, I cannot stop but notice the differences....

BUT ECs are classic, and bold. And that is something that is priceless!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
DECO....thanks for clarifying...
I get it... I do...
I LOVE EC''S... I and I really do want one...If I''m concerned about why OTHER people question me, I guess that''s an issue that goes well beyond diamonds and this forum, wouldn''t ya say...lol?!!! All kidding aside, I think part of it is that there are absolutely NO EC''S AROUND HERE..NONE...ZIPPO...maybe that''s part of the mystery for people..
But, I know my bf...and I know my jeweler...and when we''re done...people will be blown away....
stay tuned....

NOW....more pics of STEP CUT BEAUTIES. they deserve to be showcased.... speaking of which...DECO, WHY NO PICS HERE, MY DEAR?
emwink.gif

UCLA... I say...keep your unique and gorgeous buy and get a rhr that sparkles like mad....get the best of both worlds....ha

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
GemALLogist, I completely understand how you feel. I am very similar to Deco--when deciding on an e-ring I knew I had to have a step cut, there was absolutely no doubt about it. I saw a square emerald cut for the first time in person (a coworker''s ring) about 7 years ago and when I saw it, I never considered another cut for my own ring (except an emerald cut, I love them). Still, I can really appreciate brialliant cuts and would definitely consider a nice chunky cushion, OEC or even a marquis set E/W for a RHR. When I see people post on PS and are on the fence about a step cut or a brilliant cut for their e-ring, I usually urge them to go the brilliant route. I think that in order to love a step cut every day FOREVER, you have to WANT an understated--though positively mesmerizing and beautiful--cut, as Deco said. For those who want more sparkle, I think a step cut is a better option for a RHR, but for those who have been bitten by the step-cut bug, nothing else will do, haha.

I can''t wait to see what you choose! It''s going to be beautiful!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
thanks, NEW ENGLAND...your masterpiece is gorgeous...and I can tell why it was a MUST HAVE...

I don't know how to post pictures from other people...(I"m showing my 'newbie-ness'
emsmile.gif
)...
but if anyone can capture the top picture of FASHIONVICTIM's mom's upgrade on the flower...or FRAN FINE's stunner... I'd love it...
FASHIONVICTIM'S literally brought me out of lurkdom... I've lost hours of work productivity staring at that and Fran Fine's..
I'd probably crash my car if they were on top of my steering wheel as I drove....I'd never take my eyes off of EITHER of those..
and I'd instantly forget debit cards and go back to writing checks so everyone would have to see my hand at the cashier's counter longer.

C'MON...HOW CAN ANYONE BE ON THE FENCE ABOUT AN EC WHEN YOU LOOK AT THOSE ...ARE THEY NOT WORKS OF ART??

***I will say I notice I am most drawn to fat EC's with lots of windmills on the ends....

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2008 10:03:51 AM
Author: GemALLogist
thanks, NEW ENGLAND...your masterpiece is gorgeous...and I can tell why it was a MUST HAVE...

I don''t know how to post pictures from other people...(I''m showing my ''newbie-ness''
emsmile.gif
)...
but if anyone can capture the top picture of FASHIONVICTIM''s mom''s upgrade on the flower...or FRAN FINE''s stunner... I''d love it...
FASHIONVICTIM''S literally brought me out of lurkdom... I''ve lost hours of work productivity staring at that and Fran Fine''s..
I''d probably crash my car if they were on top of my steering wheel as I drove....I''d never take my eyes off of EITHER of those..
and I''d instantly forget debit cards and go back to writing checks so everyone would have to see my hand at the cashier''s counter longer.

C''MON...HOW CAN ANYONE BE ON THE FENCE ABOUT AN EC WHEN YOU LOOK AT THOSE ...ARE THEY NOT WORKS OF ART??

***I will say I notice I am most drawn to fat EC''s with lots of windmills on the ends....
Hey, i think this is the one you were referencing on the flower....

fashionvictimmom.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies for not citing that correctly, that beautiful EC is Fashionvictim''s mom''s upgrade - gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results