shape
carat
color
clarity

Ecolodge

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mjso

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I''ve finally decided to start thinking about our Honeymoon and I think I''m kind of set on going to an Ecolodge.

Has anyone ever been to one? Any recommendations? Ecolodges to avoid?

There''s one in Africa that looks amazing and you get to go on two Land Rover Safari''s, etc, but it is VERY expensive, so I don''t think we''ll be springing for that one.

Any advice or recommendations are welcome!

Thanks
10.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mjso,

What exactly are you looking for in your honeymoon travels? I''m not sure what an ecolodge is? If you''re looking to keep costs reasonable, maybe you can plan your own vacation and incorporate some of the options that an ecolodge offers.

Are you looking to travel to Africa specifically? What time of year are you going? Maybe Costa Rica or Belize?

I usually search/post on the fodors talk forum for travel advice. You might try there too for specific feedback.

Good luck!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I think an ecolodge is a place that has "gone green," right? I think it''s a really cool idea, but unfortunately I don''t have any suggestions for you.

mjso

Shiny_Rock
Yep, you''ve got it right Sabine. An Ecolodge is a resort that incorporates conservation and sustainable living into the resort. Basically, they try not to disturb the natural environment where the lodge is located.

I''ve researched quite a few of them online and there are a lot of options in varying price ranges. I was hoping maybe someone had stayed at one (although I knew it was a long shot!)

Here''s the "howstuffworks" article on them: http://travel.howstuffworks.com/ecolodge.htm

Olive Oil

Rough_Rock
Hi mjso,

The Asa Wright Nature Center in Trinidad is quite nice, but is best during the dry season (Jan-May). What sorts of things do you want to do on your honeymoon? They have guided bird tours, leatherback turtle trips, rainforest hikes, etc. And if you''re into snorkeling/diving, it is a short and cheap (It was $50 in April round trip) to hop over to Tobago and explore some really nice coral reefs (the best are on the north side of the island, Charlottesville and Speyside).

Olive

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve never stayed in one, but i know there were a few in belize (jungle) that i came across when we were booking our honeymoon!

mjso

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:36:03 PM
Author: Olive Oil
Hi mjso,

The Asa Wright Nature Center in Trinidad is quite nice, but is best during the dry season (Jan-May). What sorts of things do you want to do on your honeymoon? They have guided bird tours, leatherback turtle trips, rainforest hikes, etc. And if you''re into snorkeling/diving, it is a short and cheap (It was $50 in April round trip) to hop over to Tobago and explore some really nice coral reefs (the best are on the north side of the island, Charlottesville and Speyside).

Olive
Awesome! Thanks for the rec. As for what I want to do, I''m not that dead set on anything. All I know is what I don''t want to do, which is lay around on a beach all day and do nothing! Originally, FI and I were going to plan a trip to Ireland and Sweden, for heritage reasons, but since the dollar is so weak we''d have to stay in hostels or couch surf in order to make that feasible. And as much as hostels are awesome, sharing a dorm-style room with 10 strangers isn''t exactly what I want for my honeymoon. And I definitely want activities - snorkeling/diving, animal watching of some kind, hiking, kayaking, classes, tours, etc.

We would be going around the first week in May (our wedding is May 1). So I guess that''s just at the tail end of "good season".

Also, thanks Mimzy for the rec of looking in Belize, I did notice that there seemed to be quite a few of them in Central America. I think our choices are probably going to be between Central America, the Carribean or Fiji.

AggieTexan

Shiny_Rock
Not sure it's what you're looking for, but a couple years ago I was on a cruise that stopped in Roatan, Honduras. We took a day trip to Anthony's Key Resort. This place was GORGEOUS and the accommodations were little private cabanas built over the water.
30.gif
They do a lot of dive trips and snorkel trips, and I believe they have packages.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results