shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Hello All,

I need some ebay advice. I put my other wedding dress on ebay and it didn't sell even though it had over 500 hits and 9 watchers. I received a message from another seller who was interested, but had lots of requests. I prefer to use paypal and only ship within the US, however they would like to send a cashiers check are located in the Phillipines. Here is what they sent. I need to decide if I should execute the transaction or walkaway if its too much of a hassle.

ETA: I just looked at their profile and they just opened an ebay account today, so there is no prior history to help with my decision.

Hello,
I am interested in immediate purchase of your item,but before i proceed on this transaction i will like to ask some question as follow. i can only raise cashier check for the paymentn of your item so i will like to know if the item is still available and also if is in good condition Please your answer on this, will enable me to issue your payment to you asap

1. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check / Money Order ) as a mode of payment?

2. What is the firm price of the item?

3) Will you let our shipping company to come to your house for the pick up of the item?
4)Do get back to me with your contact info where you want the payment to address to.
5) Will you be able to send the excess fund back to
the shipping company via western union money transfer
same day you recieve the check....

6)include your E-MAIL address to contact you back inorder for me to get back to you okay.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d pass. My hubby had a very bad ebay experiance with someone paying by a forged cashier''s check. too much hassel. stick to paypal and only ship to the US.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 7:45:54 PM
Author:appletini

Hello All,

I need some ebay advice. I put my other wedding dress on ebay and it didn't sell even though it had over 500 hits and 9 watchers. I received a message from another seller who was interested, but had lots of requests. I prefer to use paypal and only ship within the US, however they would like to send a cashiers check are located in the Phillipines. Here is what they sent. I need to decide if I should execute the transaction or walkaway if its too much of a hassle.

ETA: I just looked at their profile and they just opened an ebay account today, so there is no prior history to help with my decision.

Hello,
I am interested in immediate purchase of your item,but before i proceed on this transaction i will like to ask some question as follow. i can only raise cashier check for the paymentn of your item so i will like to know if the item is still available and also if is in good condition Please your answer on this, will enable me to issue your payment to you asap
Hmmmmmm

1. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check / Money Order ) as a mode of payment?

Sure, I'd do that.

2. What is the firm price of the item?

I don't know the answer to that.

3) Will you let our shipping company to come to your house for the pick up of the item?

HELL NO.

4)Do get back to me with your contact info where you want the payment to address to.
5) Will you be able to send the excess fund back to
the shipping company via western union money transfer
same day you recieve the check....

Uh, no, sounds shady to me.

6)include your E-MAIL address to contact you back inorder for me to get back to you okay.
Considering the above, in addition to the fact this is a new ebay account, I personally wouldn't do it, Appletini. But that's just me.

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Don''t do it. It is most likely a scam. I had a very similar thing happen to me with an item I was selling on Craigslist. I received an email from Craigslist soon after and told me it was not legit and disregard it. They will apparently tell you they are going to make out the cashiers check for more money than the item is and then have some guy pick up the item and at the same time he is picking up the item he will give you the cashiers check for over the amount you requested. You give the carrier the "extra" money the person paid and the item. When you go to cash the check it won''t be legit and you will be out both the item and the "extra money''.

Sorry, it may not be like I stated above but I wouldn''t want to take the chance.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the same, but just wanted to double check. Thanks everyone! I will politely thank them for their interest, but tell them it is too much of an inconvenience for me.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 8:18:54 PM
Author: appletini
Thanks everyone! I will politely thank them for their interest, but tell them it is too much of an inconvenience for me.
Why politely?
27.gif

(It sounds like some sort of ''form letter'' to me....they didn''t even identify the "Item". I''d report ''em to EBay...)

widget

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 9:00:51 PM
Author: widget

Date: 6/16/2006 8:18:54 PM
Author: appletini
Thanks everyone! I will politely thank them for their interest, but tell them it is too much of an inconvenience for me.
Why politely?
27.gif

(It sounds like some sort of ''form letter'' to me....they didn''t even identify the ''Item''. I''d report ''em to EBay...)

widget

Ditto... but seeing as it''s a new account they''ve probably been shut down before and just get a new email addy and start alll over again. Still... I would report it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
HELL NO NO WAY UH UH...Did I say NOT ON YOUR LIFE? I have had the most awful Ebay experiences. Been screwed and WILL NEVER SPEND MONEY THERE AGAIN. Likewise, be careful about being scammed by the buyer...just not worth it, imho...

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
it''s a widely done scam. they send you a phony cashier''s check, with some phony baloney on why there is "excess" and you ar supposed to send them the "excess" back. you find out later the check is phony and you''re out whatever "excess" they asked you for. when my br started selling stuff on ebay, he was warned about this scam.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
All my red flags are raised on this one. It''s a scam, for sure.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I had an email from ebay saying that they noticed this on my account and had a link to what to look for in fraudulent activities. Good to know that they are on the ball in seeing red flags.

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
You are doing the right thing avoiding this. For selling any high priced item, if they don''t pay by paypal, I would hold a cashiers check until you actually go to the bank and have it cashed. And always ship it yourself. I''ve sold lots of items on ebay that were $200-$300 each, but I only accepted paypal or a cashiers check, and sent when I had cash in hand. I had a bidder or two flake and not contact me, but I''ve sold a few thousand dollars worth of stuff there and never been ripped off. Just don''t sell to zero feedback buyers, get your money before you send, and insure and track your package.

Maybe you should re-list at a lower price... if you don''t want to sell it for less, you can start it off low and set a reserve. That way you will be guaranteed bidders, and if it doesn''t get high enough you can always make an offer for the highest bid, or bargain with them for a higher price.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2006 1:20:01 AM
Author: ocbride2007
You are doing the right thing avoiding this. For selling any high priced item, if they don''t pay by paypal, I would hold a cashiers check until you actually go to the bank and have it cashed. And always ship it yourself. I''ve sold lots of items on ebay that were $200-$300 each, but I only accepted paypal or a cashiers check, and sent when I had cash in hand. I had a bidder or two flake and not contact me, but I''ve sold a few thousand dollars worth of stuff there and never been ripped off. Just don''t sell to zero feedback buyers, get your money before you send, and insure and track your package.

Maybe you should re-list at a lower price... if you don''t want to sell it for less, you can start it off low and set a reserve. That way you will be guaranteed bidders, and if it doesn''t get high enough you can always make an offer for the highest bid, or bargain with them for a higher price.

Great advice. I''ve been selling and buying there for years. But I''m picky both with my selling and my buying. I don''t buy from anyone without a 99.9% or higher... and in the case of the 99.9 I read ALL of the negative feedback first and make sure it''s not of serous concern. I do not impulse buy on ebay (although I impulse bought today off ebay-- but I used paypal). I make sure to ask the seller a question-- any question, just to see if they respond promptly and politely if I have not bought from them before.

If I''m selling I do not take anything except paypal anymore unless the person has purchased from me before OR has a 100% feedback rating with more than 15 reviews and if it''s a check-- I hold the item until the check has cleared. If a person has a bad feedback rating or there is anything I''m uncomfortable with-- in my auction I reserve the right to cancel thier bids... and I do not take bids from anyone with a zero feedback.

If a buyer contacts me for an item after an auction for any reason, I offer to list the item on a private-- only for them-- auction on ebay. In these cases I will ONLY accept paypal. If I contact anyone for something after an auction I expect to have the same done for me.

I have a 100% rating myself... and with the vendors that I buy from... they respect that and will make allowances for me if need be.

Which reminds me.... I have to list MY wedding dress too! It''s too formal for the wedding we are planning now. YAY! More dress shopping!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if you go to"discussion boards" then go to "safe harbor" this is one of the scams listed. report em and DO NOT answer their communication because then they have your email address.

i would also change paypal and ebay passwords if you have answered their email.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Walk away from this one!

Blod

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2006 8:18:27 AM
Author: ladykemma
if you go to''discussion boards'' then go to ''safe harbor'' this is one of the scams listed. report em and DO NOT answer their communication because then they have your email address.

i would also change paypal and ebay passwords if you have answered their email.
I replied through ebay and clicked the box to block my email address so they will not have it.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
No! List it again...sometimes, people who are seriously interested wait it out to see if you drop the price. That whole thing sounds shady.
1.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A true scam - the last time I listed something I had several emails from people wanting to use a third party escrow account. They gushed about the item but never asked one question about it! Too bad - there are wolves everywhere but you were smart to get some input before responding. I reported mine to ebay and they contacted me as well.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
SO a scam.. no no no no no no..

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
I was selling one of my flutes online for awhile, and I got probably ten of these letters that look pretty much exactly like what you got.

So I sold it locally!

Big, big scam.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results