shape
carat
color
clarity

Easy sweet & sour meatball recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzard

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone - I am trying to find a simple, yet delicious sweet & sour meatball recipe. I looked online and found SO many variations that it''s slightly overwhelming. I thought this "dish" was supposed to be simple? I remember hearing someone using ketchup and grape jelly? It sounds kind of gross, but perhaps it tastes okay?

Any simple recipe ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
This was given by my SIL:

"For each bag of frozen meatballs add 1 bottle of heinz chili sauce and 1 cup of grape jelly...cook in the crock pot on high for couple hours, stirring gently time to time, until flavors meld"

She makes these for every party she goes to, they dissapear in seconds, def wird, but guys can't get enough, served w/french bread
31.gif

lizzard

Rough_Rock
Well, that sounds pretty easy!! I think I will give that recipe a whirl! Thanks
emwink.gif

missjae

Shiny_Rock
http://www.heinzitup.com/view_recipe.asp?RecipeID=134

This is Heinz''s Sweet & Sour Meatball Recipe from www.heinzitup.com - it is AMAZINGLY delcious, even if you buy pre-made meatballs (a friend buys frozen swedish meat balls) and follow the recipe from that point using grape jelly instead of the red currant....it makes amazing amazing meatballs, my FAVORITE!

Ingredients:

1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
1 cup (250 mL) soft, fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp (30 mL) milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
2/3 cup (150 mL) Heinz Chili Sauce
2/3 cup (150 mL) red currant jelly

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Gently blend beef, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, onion, garlic, salt and pepper until evenly combined. Form into about 40 bite-sized meatballs.

Place meatballs on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet; bake for 20 minutes or until cooked all the way through.

Combine chili sauce and jelly in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until jelly dissolves, about 5 minutes.

Add cooked meatballs to the sauce; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

Twists:

Twist 1 For a meat variation, use ground turkey or pork for the ground beef.

Twist 2 For a vegetarian option, purchase ready made veggie “meatballs” and heat in the sauce for 10 to 15 minutes.

Twist 3 For a peachy version, substitute peach jam for the red currant jelly.

Twist 4 For a tangy citrus version, substitute citrus marmalade for the red currant jelly.

Twist 5 For a sweet and spicy version, substitute hot pepper jelly for the red currant jelly.

Twist 6 For a grape-licious version, substitute grape jelly for the red currant jelly.

Twist 7 For an Indian-influenced version, substitute mango chutney for the red currant jelly.

Nutritional Information:

Per Serving: 228 calories, 7 g fat, 12 g protein, 27 g carbs, 1 g fibre, 559 mg sodium.
Excellent source vitamin B12, vitamin D, and zinc.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention that after cooking, you can just put them in a slow cooker/crock pot and turn the heat on to keep them warm until you serve or while you serve....they make a good dish for potlucks (that''s where the crock pot is handy).....mmmm...my mouth is watering!
18.gif

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 7:37:15 PM
Author: Lulie
This was given by my SIL:
''For each bag of frozen meatballs add 1 bottle of heinz chili sauce and 1 cup of grape jelly...cook in the crock pot on high for couple hours, stirring gently time to time, until flavors meld''
She makes these for every party she goes to, they dissapear in seconds, def wird, but guys can''t get enough, served w/french bread
31.gif

Went to a baby shower recently and the host had this dish.
It was amazingly appetizing
18.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The combination sounds so strange but my curiosity is getting the better of me and I must try it!

lizzard

Rough_Rock
Yummy! I''m also hosting a friend''s baby shower and this will definitely be on the menu (using this recipe). Thanks so much for the suggestion. I''m getting hungry just thinking about it!
18.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Grape jelly and red currant jelly... I''m assuming that these ingredients are actually along the lines of ''cranberry sauce'', the type that is served with christmas turkey?
Or is it grape jelly as in jam, that goes on Breakfast toast?
Not that I''ve ever seen grape jelly!
3.gif

Sounds like a great recipe to try though!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''s the kind you spread on toast for Brekkie, not the kind you eat with turkey.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:15:16 PM
Author: purrfectpear
It''s the kind you spread on toast for Brekkie, not the kind you eat with turkey.

Oh thanks PP! Hmm... real jam...somehow I''m thinking that ''strawberry'' (probably our most popular flavour over here) will not be a suitable substitute?
Is grape jelly like marmalade?
33.gif

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 9:20:37 AM
Author: LaraOnline

Oh thanks PP! Hmm... real jam...somehow I'm thinking that 'strawberry' (probably our most popular flavour over here) will not be a suitable substitute?
Is grape jelly like marmalade?
33.gif
Hi LaraO in the UK Jam=any fruit spread, others call it marmalade
1.gif

That means it's made with whole/pieces of fruit, pectin, water sometimes spices ie apple ones.
Jelly= Is usually made out of Fruit JUICE, [if real fruit is used, it's usually strained a real pain!] sugar and pectin, the end product is clear/ see through, solidified, not as "saucy" as a Jam would be.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:48:40 AM
Grape jelly and red currant jelly... I''m assuming that these ingredients are actually along the lines of ''cranberry sauce'', the type that is served with christmas turkey?
Or is it grape jelly as in jam, that goes on Breakfast toast?
Not that I''ve ever seen grape jelly!
3.gif

Sounds like a great recipe to try though!

Hey Lara!
Our breakfast spread options include of course Peanut Butter, Jam, Marmalade and Jelly! Jelly is like Jam''s cousin and is almost the same but does not have chunks of fruit in it, it is delicious and my choice for toast as I don''t enjoy the chunks of strawberries or raspberry''s etc. on my toast. I will include a picture of toast with Grape Jelly on it!

jelly.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hey girls, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!

So you DO get jam over there, it''s just you have other choices as well.... typical!
I guess I could find a ''lighter'' style jelly-jam, without the pieces, if I looked... or
I could just heat the jam and run it through a sieve at home, I guess?

Is grape jelly basically sweet? Or does it have a citrusy ''tang'' as well? I wonder what other varieties would be a suitable substitute? (Don''t seem to have ''red currant'' over here commonly either! ) Our favourites are: plum, black-currant, strawberry, apricot, fig (often very chunky)...and of course the marmalades...

Verjuice is all the rage over here, I think it''s a kind of grapejuice vinegar, I wonder if I could (find it first and) add that and chuck in a whole lot of brown sugar as well?

Although jam/jelly has wonderful glazing effects as well...

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
this is all making me hungry too! fi always makes little weenies using this type of sauce and they are really good :) but i can never eat too many at a time, it overwhelms me lol

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 1:34:10 PM
Hey girls, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!

So you DO get jam over there, it''s just you have other choices as well.... typical!
I guess I could find a ''lighter'' style jelly-jam, without the pieces, if I looked... or
I could just heat the jam and run it through a sieve at home, I guess?

Is grape jelly basically sweet? Or does it have a citrusy ''tang'' as well? I wonder what other varieties would be a suitable substitute? (Don''t seem to have ''red currant'' over here commonly either! ) Our favourites are: plum, black-currant, strawberry, apricot, fig (often very chunky)...and of course the marmalades...

Verjuice is all the rage over here, I think it''s a kind of grapejuice vinegar, I wonder if I could (find it first and) add that and chuck in a whole lot of brown sugar as well?

Although jam/jelly has wonderful glazing effects as well...
LO, grape jelly is sweet, VERY similar to a strawberry Jam, the texture is of course more jellied. I don''t find it has a tang to it at all. What is Verjuice? I am intrigued!! I have an Aunt who''s family is from England and she would make trips there every 6 months or so (to take my little cousin to visit) and she would take extra large luggage and pack certain foods and things for them that they couldn''t get there. Now I understand why! Of course I will admit she probably brought back more than she took! lol

I am no Martha Stewart, but my best guess would be to use the jelliest Jam you could find and subtract the fruit. Strawberry in my opinion would be the closest as many people who like Strawberry Jam/Jelly also enjoy Grape. You''ll only ever really know if you do it and it tastes good lol....I think there is room for changes in the recipe though as I think the jelly is to add the sweet to it...If you ever try, let me know how it works out for you Lara!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results