shape
carat
color
clarity

Earrings question

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so I just got my ears pierced approximately two weeks ago. One of the piercings is about a millimeter and a half lower than the other and it is SO OBVIOUS to me. Do any of you have asymmetrical piercings and do they bother you? Should I let it close up while it's still new and go back and have them re-pierce that ear in several months? I would look silly with just one earring for three months but I'd take that over having lopsided earrings forever... My fiance says it's not at all noticeable to not-me people but it's not the not-me people I'm worried about, it's my own OCDness regarding symmetry. And unlike most asymmetries on my body, this one seems like something I may be able to do something about. But I don't know much about ear piercing so wanted your advice!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let it close up and re-pierce when it is safe to do. If you can see it most likely others can and more importantly it will always bother you. Now is the perfect time to let it close because you just got them pierced and it should be easy peasy. Do it now so you won't regret it later.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Distracts,
My original piercings were completely uneven. I had them pierced when I was 5 years old. When I was 14, I thought I'd get an additional piercing in one ear (oooh, what a rebel! :lol: ) and that would make the unevenness look less obvious. I wore an "extra" diamond/platinum stud earring in my left ear for 20 years and then decided to take it out. Now I have a small "piercing hole scar" in my left but the unevenness of my original piercings don't bother me anymore. Go figure. :rolleyes:

One strategy I've used is wearing huggie hoops instead of diamond studs to make it less obvious. Also, oddly enough, my larger Akoya pearl studs and my very big Tahitian studs don't show the unevenness at all. I guess it is all in choosing the right earrings or something.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The internet seems to be saying that it would fully close up within three months. Does anyone have any idea whether that means that's when it could get re-pierced? I could certainly go from now until October with just one ear pierced, especially since I think a small rose gold ball stud would blend in pretty well.

eta: I called the tattoo parlor/piercing place and they said since I'd had it not even long enough for it to fully heal, it should be safe to get it re-pierced in a month or a month and a half.

Ugh this is super-annoying since I made sure the marks on my ears were symmetrical, but then they had trouble piercing the right ear and I think that's why it got all jacked up. But of course the right ear piercing is the one I think is in the better spot. So go figure. My fiance thinks I'm the only person who has ever measured their ear piercings with digital calipers to prove their unevenness (this is how I know it's 1.5 mm!)... but come on, PSers, I can't be the only one! Right??

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Mine are uneven. I got them done when I was young, maybe 4 or so. I didn't notice they were uneven until I was much older. I'm pretty sure nobody else can tell, and I don't really even think about it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Excuse me for a minute - I need to check my piercings. I never really thought about it but this thread has me wondering.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1341602571|3229668 said:
Ugh this is super-annoying since I made sure the marks on my ears were symmetrical, but then they had trouble piercing the right ear and I think that's why it got all jacked up. But of course the right ear piercing is the one I think is in the better spot. So go figure. My fiance thinks I'm the only person who has ever measured their ear piercings with digital calipers to prove their unevenness (this is how I know it's 1.5 mm!)... but come on, PSers, I can't be the only one! Right??

My ear lobes are not symmetrical due to a childhood accident that compressed one side of my jaw - so I get either either piercings that are equidistant from the bottom of the lobe but wonky relative to my face, or symmetrical relative to my face but wonky on the lobes. Meh... I live with it - but I do adjust the wires on some drops to even things up a bit!

Since you have the option... choose the placement you like best and let the other hole heal completely before re-piercing that ear.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Measuring w/calipers, lol. You give me a great smile! Only a PSer! :appl:

If it will bother you -- and it sounds like it'll drive you nuts -- this is the time to get it fixed. A little annoyance now vs. hating the asymmetry forever.

--- Laurie

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Since you just got them pierced, they will close up very fast! I had my upper ear pierced and it never healed after 9+ months so I took the barbell out for a day and the next day, it was closed!

It would be most likely that if you took the earring out, it could be repierced by a piercing salon within a month.

If I were you, I'd at least try and get your ear holes symmetrical.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Mine are not symmetrical. One was repierced way back when I had it first done when I was 16, but they still weren't perfect. After 40 years, I try to not worry about it, because at this point, I am not going to have it redone. If the piercings are not yet healed, I'd let the one you don't like heal up, and try again in the few months. In the meantime, wearing one earring is not a big deal.

I can compensate a bit for the unevenness by adjusting the angle of the post to the head. Also, the ear lobes themselves are slightly different in size, so it would be futile to aim for perfection. Another way I compensate is if the studs have a slightly different size, I put the larger one in the larger lobe. But, when I've asked others, no one else has ever noticed that there is a difference until I point it out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely let this one grow back and repierce. It is perfect since they haven't completely healed yet! My younger daughter's piercings were uneven and I decided later to let one grow back and it took longer. But it was the best decision because they are even now!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are uneven. I have learned to stick with 5 mm or smaller studs, use leverback, or dangles or earrings that have posts on the edge instead of the middle. I can spin the earrings to they look even on my ear.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1341605807|3229708 said:
Mine are uneven. I got them done when I was young, maybe 4 or so. I didn't notice they were uneven until I was much older. I'm pretty sure nobody else can tell, and I don't really even think about it.

Ditto to this. I did not notice until I was about 30! And when I did notice I was wondering how I did not notice for the previous 20 years because it seemed so obvious to me. I asked my husband at the time and he did not notice until he really studied my ears and then said Oh yea, they are not even but its really not something anyone would notice. I pointed out to my teenage daughter recently and it took her a minute to notice and she said yes they are not even but again, not something anyone would notice unless they really study it.

Does it bother me? Not really at this point since there is nothing I can do about it.

I have multiple pearcings and those bug me and I regret them. I have 2 in one ear and 3 in the other (done during college in the 80's, it was the in thing) and I hugely regret it now. The holes are very noticable even though I only wore earring in them for about a year or two.

Based on the fact they are still noticible 20+ years later and I don't use them, I would hesitate to start over.

Also, even if you let that hole close, you might form scar tissue or a keloid which would create problems trying to repearce.

My mother let her pearced ears close shortly after getting them in her 30's and then tried in her 40s to repearce and she had developed little lumps where the holes were that were not obvious to the eye but were below the surface of her lobe and she had to let the second pearcings close up.

If the pearcings are healing well, I would just leave it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
The internet seems to be saying that it would fully close up within three months. Does anyone have any idea whether that means that's when it could get re-pierced? I could certainly go from now until October with just one ear pierced, especially since I think a small rose gold ball stud would blend in pretty well.

eta: I called the tattoo parlor/piercing place and they said since I'd had it not even long enough for it to fully heal, it should be safe to get it re-pierced in a month or a month and a half.

By the way mine are enough off that I don't need calipers to tell, you can tell by looking. So if you needed calipers to tell, and its sooo tiny, I would definately leave it. My mother was never able to wear pearced earrings after letting hers close and trying to repearce due to scar tissue.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

By the way mine are enough off that I don't need calipers to tell, you can tell by looking. So if you needed calipers to tell, and its sooo tiny, I would definately leave it. My mother was never able to wear pearced earrings after letting hers close and trying to repearce due to scar tissue.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Mine are very slightly uneven, but I can compensate for it by wearing dangly earrings, or when I wear studs, letting one be loser. I think it's not easy to get them perfectly even.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
asscherisme|1341636479|3229955 said:

It does make me hesitate to have you pierce the ear again knowing that it was only 1.5 mm off!!!!!!! I can see the new hole being so close to the old one that scar tissue interferes or the two holes might "meld" together. Also, if you have a permanent scar of the old piercing right next to the new one, I have a feeling that will also affect your self-admitted OCD, bugging you as much, if not moreso, than the current position.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
My piercings are uneven, too. I had my ears pierced when I was 8 so I don't think I noticed until several years later. It bugs me from time to time, but as others have said, it depends on the specific pair of earrings whether it is noticable. If you think it's going to bother you a lot, I would take it out and let it heal now. I had my second holes done when I was 14 and decided I didn't really want them anymore when I was 20, so I just stopped wearing earrings in them. I haven't had a pair in for almost 5 years and those holes haven't closed up at all. Oh well.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Mine are uneven too. But I got them pierced when I was 7 years old so they're here to stay. Since you just got yours pierced, I would let it heal and start over.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Maybe your lobes are unever, not the piercing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results