shape
carat
color
clarity

Earrings again, WF ACA vs AGS000

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well WF found a matching F VS2 Check out the video, let me know your thoughts. I can see the difference, just trying to decide how much it’s gonna bug me and the major pain of trying to sell a diamond. They have a matching ACA F, but it’s a VS2, no big deal VS1 /VS2, the two diamonds are nearly identical other than that.

Thanks for the input.

Anybody have luck selling here?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you want to sell? I think lots of people have had luck selling here.

The stones look beautiful to me and the differences would not bother me. I would want to be able to trade them up so I would want to have
two ACAs (or ES) stones.

Last edited:

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
91174E30-E399-4530-803B-2C11E8005648.jpeg The AGS 000 is on the left, it was in my wife’s pendant, I am purchasing the ACA on the right with the thought of making matching earrings. My OCD is getting the best of me. Wondering if I should attempt to sell the AGS 000 stone and go with two ACA stones. Just wondering if I am going out of my way to make my life difficult, lol.

The AGS 000 is from 1998, CA 34/PA 41.2, that was the original specs, now days, 41.2 is considered out of range.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whats the table size, depth and LGF % on the AGS000 stone? The arrows are noticeably different.

I see the ACA has a 56 table, 61.6 depth, 34.6 crown, 40.7 pavilion & 77 LGF.

Have you asked WF if they would consider taking the AGS000 on trade? Or are you just not happy with the value they offered?

While I believe the clarity is overkill, here are two stones of near identical carat weight and very similar proportions. And honestly, it's only a couple hundred bucks difference between VS2 and VVS1 so maybe it doesn't matter that much.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=3855450,4153201

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah...now I see the issue. I guess it would all depend on how much you wanted for it.

That's really a tough call. You could have them both mounted and replace the other one later on if it was still bothering you.

I didnt see as much of a difference in the video. Its definitely more obvious in the photo.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Table is 56%. AGS did not provide LGF or Star facet specs on their certain back in 1998.

Again great diamond, but the ACA are beyond great. WF did not offer and I did not ask, I figured I could try here first, it’s not a super ideal H&A but it is a really nice diamond.

Just wanted to get the thoughts of the folks here. WF does have a matching .585 F That’s pretty much identical but it’s a VS2.

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
I don't see much of a difference in the video either. I wonder how noticeable the difference is when you have them on the ears though. If it was me I would keep the AGS 000 so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to sell it. Or keep your AGS 000 and make a necklace to match the ACA earrings.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The .58 000 was in a pendant necklace, I decided to make earring for our 24th anniversary, next year I am replacing the necklace with a 1-1.25ct WF ACA. She already has. 2.07ct ACA in her wedding ring I changed out 2 years ago. Damn WF ACA Diamonds, lol.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's easier to see the difference because they are side by side. As earrings, they will be around 12" away from each other in separate ears. Additionally each diamond would hit slightly different angles and lighting environments as a result.

My point is the minor difference may not be worth the expense.

Also, have you asked your wife if she would like to keep the AGS000 stone for sentimental reasons?

LOL, after typing all that your other response popped up. After hearing about all the other ACA love, I'm thinking why have a mismatch?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a similar dilemma (see link below details) and ultimately decided to match my original e-ring diamond with a much better cut GIA XXX and have no regrets. If they were set together my opinion would probably be different, but the differences don’t bother me because they are worn so far apart (and per DH, I’m pretty Type A lol). And these two seem to be an even better match than mine, so my vote is to go for it. GL!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-not-so-perfect-pair….249305/

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both excellent cuts, and honestly I don't think differences will be noticible in the ear. The size of the arrows looks different in the pic bc it's really zoomed in and they are side by side. Once in the ear, they are much further apart and no one except you is going to be grtting that close to her ears :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For earrings, the differences would not bother me. For ring sidestones, they would. These are earrings. Don’t overthink it. They’re on opposite sides of the head and when worn you will literally never be able to compare them like that.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
The video is of two ACA stones correct? The photo is your AGS000 from a pendant and an ACA? I’d say go with the two ACA stones since she has a ring and an upgraded pendant coming next year and as a PP said it will be easier to upgrade the earrings for size down the road.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The .58 000 was in a pendant necklace, I decided to make earring for our 24th anniversary, next year I am replacing the necklace with a 1-1.25ct WF ACA. She already has. 2.07ct ACA in her wedding ring I changed out 2 years ago. Damn WF ACA Diamonds, lol.

Lucky wife! I say bite the bullet and get 2 ACAs for earrings. It doesn't sound like you'll be happy unless they both match. Sell the other stone.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask Whiteflash whether and how much they’d give you on a trade to get a second ACA.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video is of two ACA stones correct? The photo is your AGS000 from a pendant and an ACA? I’d say go with the two ACA stones since she has a ring and an upgraded pendant coming next year and as a PP said it will be easier to upgrade the earrings for size down the road.

No, the video has his stone on the left and the ACA on the right.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Def will NOT be noticeable on the ear. Even in the video I barely notice the diff.

Obviously noticeable when you keep it still and blow it up 30x :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look nice as a pair of earrings; however, I think you are particular and not sure if you will be satisfied with one not being an ACA. I say that in the nicest way as you have been a great husband in purchasing these diamonds and have certainly done your due diligence. If she has an ACA engagement ring, pendant and one earring. . . well, I think that may trouble you more than it is worth -lol!!

Either way, can't wait to see the diamonds set!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean, can you see the "difference" now? o_O

upload_2019-10-3_12-12-17.png

In person, at normal viewing, you won't be able to tell these stones apart. I wouldn't let anxiety about perfection get in the way of moving forward.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. The OCD is bad with me, my wife is fine either way, but after 24 years of marriage she knows me well and said, you know this is gonna bug the heck out of you, lol. I am thinking having both diamonds send back home so I can see them side by side, if I can’t see the difference then send them back to be mounted. If I can then I will pick up the matching ACA and sell the AGS 000. I mean salvage value of of that
AGS 000 wholesale is what $1300-1500?

Again thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just reading your posts in this thread I gathered you were picky -- otherwise, you wouldn't have an AGS000 F VS1 already. ;)2

Also it seems you like to spend wisely, but the dollars aren't the driving factor.

I'm much the same way with many things in life. My past experiences tell me it's cheaper and less headache to just get what you really want the first time around. So I'd just go with ACA's.

If I were in your shoes I'd ask WF about a trade in since they already have your stone now. Just set your expectations realistically. Maybe 50-70 cents on the dollar, depending exactly where you end up selling/trading. I'm guessing a $1,000 or so at the end of the day. But maybe WF will cut you a deal as a multiple ACA customer.

By chance, maybe you want to repurpose in a band for yourself?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your plan to see them in person is good. Report back!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
If I understand correctly it will really depend on:

1) mind cleanliness/ OCD for 2 of the exact same diamond: get ACA / ACA or ACA/AGS 000
2) time and effort you have to sell the diamond 3) budget.

Other alternatives to the AGS-
A) Cuff/ bangle that grace by jewels make.
B) stick pin/ brooch
C) occasional RHR
D) a ring/ necklace/ tie pin / stick pin for yourself
E) get one ear pierced and convert to a stud

It’s not an easy decision to make as your mind will come back and haunt your thinking....

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks again, everyone. I am having WF ship me both loose and then we can decide. I do realize these photos and video are blown up 500x, lol. The earrings will take 3 weeks in production so we will have some time.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well the WF diamond arrived, in person they are both gorgeous, I had them in holders and moved around with them side by side and asked my wife which has more fire, she was correct about 50% of the time. The H&A views clearly show the extra cutting precision on the ACA. I also noticed outside near dusk the ACA was A tiny bit brighter, but I am cutting hairs. I have an extremely critical eye, there is a difference, it’s small and nobody, perhaps not even me would notice mounted and in earrings. The photos and video are about 20x larger than in real life so as it was pointed really have to sit and examine them next to each other in good light and study and really look for the difference. Now wondering whether pick up the other ACA and use the original AGS 0 as a pendant again but do a matching Tacori halo setting for all three diamonds, earrings and pendant.

Just my think selling AGS0 is only going to net $1200-$1300, 20years ago it was purchased for $2500, big premium for AGS0 back in 1999, fast forward, that’s what a WF ACA costs, who says everything cost more today, lol.

So I will need to think a bit more on this.

I took so photos in the H&A viewer, sooooo hard to do this with an iPhone as the slightest tilt causes massive distortion. Guess which the ACA. Still pretty impressed with the performance of the AGS 0, but for that extra percentage of performance the ACA wins. Didn’t notice until today the larger table reflection on the AGS0, they both have 56% tables, so why the larger reflection on the AGS? Pavilion angle of 41.2?

Attachments

• CFDD46CD-773C-4EA9-913C-4CEDF488E484.jpeg
    CFDD46CD-773C-4EA9-913C-4CEDF488E484.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 107
  • FCD12794-1C66-411A-8815-CF8C5B3BA5A0.jpeg
    FCD12794-1C66-411A-8815-CF8C5B3BA5A0.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 3270785F-17DB-4D67-AF88-440AF612C1DD.jpeg
    3270785F-17DB-4D67-AF88-440AF612C1DD.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 45D46BE8-9431-4DD8-8273-12FF3810D3AC.jpeg
    45D46BE8-9431-4DD8-8273-12FF3810D3AC.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 111

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the images, there is certainly a difference but I take it in real life viewing it is harder to discern. For OCDers, I guess it boils down to which you can better live with. Sometimes you just have to spend the money to quiet those voices in your head - unless the more practical side of your self can overrule the voices! A Cut Above is such an apropos name for the ACAs as they do stand out from other AGS0 stones. I feel your pain on this one - if it was for a ring there would probably be no question but for earrings this pair would probably work beautifully. Maybe let your wife make the decision and just live with what she chooses?

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, I folded, I just picked up the other WF ACA F-VS 2.

My OCD got the best of me. The ACA diamonds are nearly identical.

.585ct 5.40x5.37x3.31mm
F color
clarity VS1, VS2
table- 56% and 56.1%
CA- 34.6%
PA-40.7%
LGF-77%
Star-50%, 51%
Crown,15.1%,15.3%
Depth- 61.6%, 61.4%

I think we will put the AGS 0 back in a Tacori halo setting pendant, and matching Tacori halo studs for the WF ACAs. This will give us several options. I could always decide to use the AGS0 in the earrings and upgrade the other ACA for a larger pendant diamond. Many options this way. Anyhow just closing the loop, I will post photos of the earring once we make the decision, most likely won't be done for a couple months since the production time on the mounts is 3 wks and we still want to think about this.

Last edited:

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also I should add that my photo skills with an iPhone are very limited, check out the WF ACA professional photos in the link above to see the real difference.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I folded, I just picked up the other WF ACA F-VS 2.

My OCD got the best of me. The ACA diamonds are nearly identical.

.585ct 5.40x5.37x3.31mm
F color
clarity VS1, VS2
table- 56% and 56.1%
CA- 34.6%
PA-40.7%
LGF-77%
Star-50%, 51%
Crown,15.1%,15.3%
Depth- 61.6%, 61.4%

I think we will put the AGS 0 back in a Tacori halo setting pendant, and matching Tacori halo studs for the WF ACAs. This will give us several options. I could always decide to use the AGS0 in the earrings and upgrade the other ACA for a larger pendant diamond. Many options this way. Anyhow just closing the loop, I will post photos of the earring once we make the decision, most likely won't be done for a couple months since the production time on the mounts is 3 wks and we still want to think about this.

You're the man! I felt pretty certain this is what you'd end up doing but I have to say again, I've never regretted buying quality goods. You also have the upgrade policy on both stones should you ever want to - or if you win the lottery! She is a lucky lady and I'm sure you will BOTH be very pleased!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results