shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Stone - Buy Online or at Trade Show?

chrissy0116

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!! I have been reading PS voraciously for the last month, savoring the pretty pretty stones/rings and soaking up some excellent advice/knowledge. I'm on the hunt for a padparadscha-like stone for my e-ring. i'm completely fixated on that medium saturation peachy-pink hue that makes my mouth water, but due to extreme difficulty, imitations, and frustration, I have come to the conclusion that I no longer need an actual Pad to satisfy my requirements. My brother-in-law-to-be is an artisan and will make the ring and mount the stone. It will be a yellow-gold, no pave version of something like the attached (I think it is a fellow PSer):

However, he is leery of me buying a stone online. He wants me to wait until the next Int'l Gem and Jewelry Show (in a month) and try to find something there with him tagging along to judge stone quality etc. Are the stones you see at these shows any more "reputable" than what you would get from Jim Rentfrow or Jeff White? or even Eric at Swala? I've been in contact with all of those guys (hi to all!~), and they are on the lookout for an appropriate stone/rough.

Or if you savvy people have something that fits the bill, by all means, point me in the right direction:

- 2+ carat
- cushion cut preferred but could go oval or round also, depending on what looks good with that mounting type
- medium-saturation peachy pink spinel or sapphire - could be other species suitable for e-ring
- budget up to $2K

All information helpful - thanks!!!! :twirl:

Ring A.jpg

chrissy0116

Rough_Rock
Minou - Thanks so much for the suggestions! Do you think any particular shape looks better with that style of ring? I looked at bespoke gems and he had a lovely stone, but it was a round brilliant "acorn" shape, which i thought was too deep:

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Tourmaline.php#image_282

Also it was a tourmaline, which has many more options overall as far as color, but I understand many consider it too soft for an e-ring, correct?

Also this one caught my eye but not quite enough orange:

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1822

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
That one at Finewater is incredible!

I'm not sure that you'll get the colour you like in over 2ct for your budget in corundum - may be spinel, but I would personally go smaller and aim for the sapphire.

I would go and look at the gem show, but I would be wary of buying unless you or your FBIL know what you are doing. Just as there are reputable dealers there are those who are less so. Plus, online you can take your time to make a decision, speak to various vendors and possibly have a stone cut for you.

I know a lot of people are leery about buying online, but with the PS vendors and many others, they have just as much of a reputation to protect as people with B&M stores - in fact probably more as their clientle are often world-wide. So, you can assure your FBIL that the vendors you have been looking at are completely kosher and will not sell you plastic or run off with your $$.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Almost all of the PS vendors have good return policies too, so if you don't like the stone when you see it IRL, you can send it back.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I'd personally trust the recommended PS online vendors over most of the ones at the trade shows with the exception of the natural sapphire co. if they're still listed, kinda shady there. Colored stones are way different than colorless diamonds. The hunt for the stone is unpredictable and sometimes just finding one that meets your criteria is a feat. I'd highly advise going to the trade show and doing lots of looking. Seeing stones in person will really help you decide and develop your eye. Don't be afraid to purchase from online vendors though. There are quite a few good ones, some even post here on PS.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chrissy0116|1304705525|2914117 said:
However, he is leery of me buying a stone online. He wants me to wait until the next Int'l Gem and Jewelry Show (in a month) and try to find something there with him tagging along to judge stone quality etc. Are the stones you see at these shows any more "reputable" than what you would get from Jim Rentfrow or Jeff White? or even Eric at Swala?

Be very careful at the Intergem show, there are lots of dealers that do not disclose treatments or synthetics. Padaparadschas are some of the most treated and synthesized gems there are as well.

A good dealer at the show is Vancegems.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I second the Vancegems recommendation. They're nice and knowledgeable. They're a must stop when I go to the Intergem. =)

TonyMontana

Rough_Rock
Trade
Imho opinion buying stones at trade shows is always safer then getting them on the net. I prefer to judge the stones with my own eye
rather than rely on picture which might be photoshoped etc.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why don't you look at both? Search online, where you can get a lot of information, see a lot of prices and qualities, etc. Then go to the show, look at the gems, get a feel on how different shapes and sizes will look on your hand. If you find something good, in a good price from a reputable vendor and preferably with a lab report (as has been said, pads can be heavily treated, synthetic, etc), get it. If not, then buy online.

How knowledgeable is you BiL about colored stones? Also, is he the pressuring kind?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TonyMontana|1304937363|2916083 said:
Imho opinion buying stones at trade shows is always safer then getting them on the net. I prefer to judge the stones with my own eye

For me, it depends on what dealer you're dealing with at a trade show. Like online, trade shows have their unscrupulous dealers as well. However, many of the dealers we recommend on PS in the Colored Stones forum are very reputable. I prefer to look at gems in my hand as well, but without a lab report for certain gems, looking at them in my hand isn't going to suffice. This is especially true for someone with no experience in determining certain characteristics that deem the stone natural and untreated or minimally treated. For example, I refuse to buy sapphires online or at a show without a reputable lab report. Maybe a well equipped gemologist at the trade show might be more comfortable doing so.

I also forgot to mention that Andrew Sarosi is also a very good dealer at Intergem, but he deals in very high end gems.

It's funny and sad, but I had the opportunity to talk to various consumers at Intergem over the years, and their lack of experience in colored gems scares me. One lady once insisted to me she found the cheapest and most beautiful sapphires around at this one dealer. I mentioned that they're probably diffused, and she said, "well, at least they're not irradiated, so they're okay." :-o

This just goes to show you that it doesn't matter if you buy online or at a trade show, the most important thing is that you are an educated consumer, and that you deal with highly reputable sources. I also find online pricing to be much better than the tradeshows, all else being equal.

K9

Brilliant_Rock

While I agree that it's important to see stones with your own eye, buying from a reputable online vendor gives you an even BETTER opportunity for viewing stones. When you purchase online, you can see the stone with your eyes in varying light conditions - indoor, outdoor, overcast, etc. When you buy at a trade show, you're often limited to the show lighting. Plus, you can really study the stone and take your time with it and not feel rushed.

That's what I like about buying online.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
k9muttlover|1304952850|2916209 said:

While I agree that it's important to see stones with your own eye, buying from a reputable online vendor gives you an even BETTER opportunity for viewing stones. When you purchase online, you can see the stone with your eyes in varying light conditions - indoor, outdoor, overcast, etc. When you buy at a trade show, you're often limited to the show lighting. Plus, you can really study the stone and take your time with it and not feel rushed.

That's what I like about buying online.
Very good point!! I cannot stress enough that the lighting at these trade shows often shows the gems at their best. I did buy a tourmaline the last time I was there, and fortunately, there was a window off to the side, and the vendor let me view it in sunlight. Some of these trade show vendors also mysteriously "disappear" and you have a difficult time getting a refund if you decide the stone doesn't look so great outside the trade show room.

I once had two nightmares with returns at a Trade show, and you have to be careful as you can't ask someone on PS or look at their feedback to see "are these vendors trustworthy?"

Vancegems and Sarosi are reputable however. I should make a better note of some reputable dealers the next time I go.

Stay away from B&B.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, TL, say more about B&B if you don't mind. I believe I've purchased from them and want to understand what concerns you have with them as a vendor. Thanks!

chrissy0116

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all of your great advice. I would say that FBIL is somewhat knowledgable about colored gems, and will certainly be a good resource at the show, as he shows at Tucson (not stones but other art) and other gem/mineral shows as well and knows many vendors. I'd like to think he has heard about good/bad ones. We shall see!

As for B&B - that is actually the dealer where I saw the most OMG-gorgeous pad ever - $9K/ct and it was just over 3 carats, so GULP!! and they showed me an AGL certificate as unheated/untreated. There's not a way in the world I could afford that so it didn't matter but they did have some lovely gems. What's the scoop on them???

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
TL|1304953408|2916211 said:
Vancegems and Sarosi are reputable however. I should make a better note of some reputable dealers the next time I go.

Stay away from B&B.

Just an FYI about Andrew Sarosi... They didn't have a lot of loose gems this past time as Andrew is sick with cancer and their business is kind of in a holding pattern.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1304956007|2916257 said:
Ooh, TL, say more about B&B if you don't mind. I believe I've purchased from them and want to understand what concerns you have with them as a vendor. Thanks!

I had a problem with a stone they damaged upon setting and they wanted to charge me $$ for returning it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet|1304960622|2916370 said:
TL|1304953408|2916211 said:

Stay away from B&B.

Just an FYI about Andrew Sarosi... They didn't have a lot of loose gems this past time as Andrew is sick with cancer and their business is kind of in a holding pattern.

Oh that's a shame, so sorry to hear about his health issues. :blackeye:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to second Pandora's comments about the Pad from Finewater. That ones is amazing and anybody who gets that will be very lucky indeed. The price is good too. If I were in the market for a Pad we would be in a serious fight for that one. My vote is you stop looking and buy that ............... before temptation gets the better of me!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1304967203|2916476 said:
I need to second Pandora's comments about the Pad from Finewater. That ones is amazing and anybody who gets that will be very lucky indeed. The price is good too. If I were in the market for a Pad we would be in a serious fight for that one. My vote is you stop looking and buy that ............... before temptation gets the better of me!

x2!

putting in hardwood flooring > buying a new gemstone, putting in hardwood flooring > buying a new gemstone,...I'm hoping at some point in time I will start to believe it. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results