shape
carat
color
clarity

E-reader owners -- do you read more than before?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prior to buying a Kindle 2 yrs ago, I read somewhere between 12-24 books per year. When I checked my archives yesterday, I was surprised to find that I have read 130 books in the past 24 months -- that's 5.41 books per month. I think the ease of downloading books and the fact that I can pump up the font size when my eyes get tired contributed to the increase.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not me. Before the Kindle, I typically read between 50 and 85 books a year.
After the Kindle, I read between 50 and 85 books a year.
I only read 10% of my books on my Kindle, though. If I can get a book in paperback, I read it in paperback. Kindle is my second choice for reading. Unless I'm traveling. Then it's all Kindle.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I typically read between 100-130 books a year. That's what I read before I purchased my Nook, and it's what I read now. What has changed is that since so many OOP books now have new life in a digital format, I have downloaded many, many favorite old books that I had read and reread so many times that my print copies had pretty much disintegrated. I love that!

If I have a choice, I prefer to read a dead-tree book, but both my DH and one of my daughters have experienced exactly what you found: they read more now than before they had their Nooks.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Matata, I have always loved to read and read a lot when younger. After getting married 8 years ago, that dropped off until I, like you, were reading maybe 12 - 15 books a year. It's funny you bring this up because I looked at the archived library on my Nook just the other day to lend some to a friend and I have 150 books in less than 2 years of ownership.

I will always enjoy "dead tree" books (loved the description) but it is so much easier to carry my Nook (or iPad), download what I want to read, and be able to without trips to the store. I routinely buy an eGift card to keep a balance available and protect my credit card from frequent, small, charges.

I just bought DH one for our anniversary and he is reading more as well.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I just got one this summer. I was going to Italy and I didn't want to drag 10-15 books with me. My plan was to use it solely for travel, but my basement flooded at the beginning of September :(sad and I lost probably $2000 worth of books ;( so I became an instant e-book convert :bigsmile:

I would say that I actually read less, but that's has nothing to do with paper vs electronic books. I used to commute 1.5 hours each way by train and read about 3 books a week during that time. Then my office moved and now I drive. So I'm down to about 1-2 a week.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I always have one of my Nook books accessible on my iPhone, so I am never, ever caught without something to read.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I feel I read about the same amount, time wise- every day! But I think since getting my Kindle for Christmas last year I read more new books. I live in a fairly rural area; closest bookstore is 45 min and the closest good bookstore is an hour. So, historically, I would re-read all my favorites in between trips for new books. If I started a series and liked it, it meant an immediate trip back to the bookstore for the rest of the books. But now I can simply download a new book and start it right away. I have also discovered GoodReads, which is helping on the new book front.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I read a little more. I've always been an avid reader, although I never counted it up. Now though, I have my kindle with me pretty much at all times, so even a few minutes down time means I'm reading something.

I had to stop buying books, it was getting out of hand. I used to buy a lot of books in charity stores, with the intention of donating them again, but I'm a hoarder, so it never quite worked out that way. DH is the same - between us, we have rooms full of books. The kindle has probably saved out house from sinking into its own foundations. :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find because of the novelty of using the Kindle, I'm reading more than before. I do love a paper 'real' book if its going to be a book I know I'll keep forever or pass along to someone, but using the kindle is so easy. Easy to download and find what you are looking for. Sometimes I go to Chapters and they are out of stock.

I think I enjoy reading more now too - in my mind, this makes it more portable than a paperback. Yeah... no logic to that line of thinking, but that's just where my brain goes! hahahaha!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I love the convenience of my Kindle and I do find that I am reading more books since I got it. I don't read paperback or hardback books at all anymore.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I do read more now that I have my iPad, which has 3 different e-book reader apps (have been able to buy textbooks from all 3 different ones too). I've not really kept track, but I just checked my archives, and I've got ~35 books in there, not including text books. That's WAY more than I've read previously, and I just got my iPad in late June.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I read about the same amount. But I used to re-read more. And now I get new books more often.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I read massively more.

It's easier to read in bed without disturbing kid or husband by turning pages.
I can lie on either side
The contrast is easier on my eyes - used to make me fall asleep with normal books.
I don't have to wait for books to arrive
I read all sorts of weird things when they are on the free list on the amazon store
I no longer have shelves threatening to collapse under the weight of books...

Like Jennifer, I am a second-hand book shop fanatic and hoarder. In the interests of having no space I have moved to e-books. Feel a little sad, but reading is much more pleasant now.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I defintitely read more now! A new book is always right at my fingertips...but I just realized I've been spending a small fortune on books lately, oops! Eh, I don't care, reading is one of my few joys!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read more since I bought a Kindle. I used to read a lot. Then I got a second job that I worked for 20 years and only got to read between semesters. I read some after losing that job but not as much as I used to read. I got the Kindle last spring and have read a ton of books since then. I actually sold my Kindle but use the Kindle ap on my iPad now.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At first I read more. Lately, I have had a hard time finding the time. I still love getting books from the library, but being time-challenged of late, I am bring more books back unread. I love that with my kindle I don't have a deadline. But that has to be balanced with the cost which usually sends me back to the library. I do love that I can easily keep track of how many I have read in the last year with my archive.

I think I have read 95 books since the middle of January.

I love love love the free books, especially those days when I have been able to get 10 or more new to me books. I am so happy all day. I want to tell everyone I see that I got 10 free books that day. Ridiculously happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results