shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Party Gift Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
...Speaking of engagement parties, I am attending one this Saturday. It''s a semi-small, casual affair where the wedding party, B&G, parents and SOs are invited. I''ve been reading up on e-party etiquette and of course it says "e-party gifts are not expected but appreciated."

I have known the bride since our first year of university, so about 8 years. I''d really like to get them a special little gift (maybe $50?) but I''m blanking out. Their home is already fairly equipped so their registry has big ticket items like a Dyson or pot sets. They''re a fairly lowkey couple but I know my friend appreciates nice, pretty things.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
35.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I got a couple really nice engagement gifts. A pair of crystal champagne flutes and a bottle of sparkling wine from a Nappa Vineyard. It was a lot of fun. I already have flutes, but it is like... that is a special pair.
4.gif

Waterford frames and crystal Tiffany vases/bowls are always fun! (for the couple that already has everything...)

35.gif

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=22356704&mcat=148207&cid=288215&search_params=s+2-p+2-c+288215-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=11921914&mcat=148207&cid=288215&search_params=s+2-p+3-c+288215-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=18506963&mcat=148207&cid=288215&search_params=s+2-p+1-c+288215-r+0+101297638-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=12886&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
how about a spa gift certificate for her and a golf/good restaurant or something along those line certificate for him? I dont know if thats cheesey to give or not but figuring they have most of their home together and they probably wont want to spend money on themselves while planning a wedding and putting down all those deposits - a gift certificate would give them a reason to go take a break from the planning without feeling guilty for spending money on luxuries.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 8:11:14 AM
Author:sammyj
...Speaking of engagement parties, I am attending one this Saturday. It''s a semi-small, casual affair where the wedding party, B&G, parents and SOs are invited. I''ve been reading up on e-party etiquette and of course it says ''e-party gifts are not expected but appreciated.''

I have known the bride since our first year of university, so about 8 years. I''d really like to get them a special little gift (maybe $50?) but I''m blanking out. Their home is already fairly equipped so their registry has big ticket items like a Dyson or pot sets. They''re a fairly lowkey couple but I know my friend appreciates nice, pretty things.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
35.gif
icky, i dont know what it is, but i hate it when that is said.

i got semi friends a card, and good friends i took out to dinner. otherwards i would say a nice card and a picture frame, or champagne glasses or something nice of the sort.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 10:22:46 AM
Author: jcarlylew

Date: 2/18/2009 8:11:14 AM
Author:sammyj
...Speaking of engagement parties, I am attending one this Saturday. It''s a semi-small, casual affair where the wedding party, B&G, parents and SOs are invited. I''ve been reading up on e-party etiquette and of course it says ''e-party gifts are not expected but appreciated.''

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
35.gif
icky, i dont know what it is, but i hate it when that is said.

i got semi friends a card, and good friends i took out to dinner. otherwards i would say a nice card and a picture frame, or champagne glasses or something nice of the sort.
I know what you mean!!! All of those overused phrases in etiquette books drive me bonkers!

tlh, SS, jcarly, thank you SO much for the suggestions! I was leaning towards a nice picture frame or serving dish...but champagne flutes and gift cards would be nice too!! I''ll consult with my BF (who will probably be NO help at all) and I''ll let you ladies know what I decide!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:01:40 AM
Author: SailorsSweethow about a spa gift certificate for her and a golf/good restaurant or something along those line certificate for him?
I think that''s a great idea Sailor!
2.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
For our engagement, we didn''t get many gifts, but we did get some that we really appreciated. The ones we liked best were several restaurant gift certificates, bottles of wine/champagne, a set of pewter candlesticks, scented candles (can never have too many of those), and a fantastic party thrown by a few of my bridesmaids and other girlfriends.

Although the spa/restaurant/golf idea sounds lovely, it seems to me like that might cost a lot more than $50. One spa treatment or one round of golf will easily run much more than $50. You could, of course, just give them $25 each in gift certificates to help them pay for those things, but I know I appreciate a gift certificate most when I don''t have to add a bunch of money to it (since I''m underemployed these days).

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
For engagement gifts, I like giving serving/party pieces like platters, cheese boards, etc. If they don''t have one on their registry, a nice bottle opener (like the Rabbit) usually goes over well, too. I''ve had several married friends receive a nice pair of champagne flutes as an engagement gift, which they then used for the champagne toast at their wedding.

And I know these are a bit more than you''re looking to spend, but I also LOVE Simon Pearce (www.simonpearce.com) for glass vases, pitchers, and bowls. Something in a similar (but less expensive) vein would likely work well for someone who likes nice things..

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
What about getting them a laguiole corkscrew? Timeless, beautiful workmanship and uber classy.

If they aren't into wine, I like the picture frame and restaurant gift certificate ideas.

ETA: After re-reading your post, I realized that the corkscrews are a little more than you were interested in spending. Oops!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Last couple of e-parties I have been to I got the couple the following both were liked I also did this for extended rellies at christmas went over a treat:

First one a massive clear lolly jar filled with choccies and lollies (the groom FI's friend has a massive sweet tooth) and the second one just recently I got my friend who is pregnant a clear salad bowl filled with choccies :).

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the same situation, my cousin resently got engaged and is getting married on saturday. Her and her FI have a house and all the esentials already. The key in that situation is to go for special things that they wouldn''t splash out on themselves.

It also depends what they''re into; do they like to cook? entertain? big wine or cocktail drinkers? etc

Just have a look round for what you can find, I was also on a limited budget and managed to find some beautiful red (cousins faveorate colour) good quality glass set of wine goblets which were on sale (from me and my bf as a wedding gift), a lovely ''wedding memories box'' which was 1/2 price from a very posh stationary store which they can keep bits of ribbon, cars, cake toppers or anything from the weeding that dosn''t fit into an album (for my brother and sister to give them), and for their engagment I got think a pizza stone for the oven and pizza cutter (they''re both very into cooking). All of these were about NZ$25-30.

I also found some nice glass or puter candel stick holders, lovely serving platters and cake stands for all around the same price. I like a good balance between usefull and pretty.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
kittybean, babygirl, ladypirate, Deelight and 4ever...thanks so much for your suggestions!!

A corkscrew sounds like a great idea but I think their bar is pretty stocked. They like to entertain (and drink) but I''ll definitely look into those for future gifts!

A big jar full of sweets sounds yummy too! I think I would be fully blamed if the bride couldn''t fit into her dress though! That''s a great b-day present idea...definitely something that I would love.
18.gif

A pizza stone/cutter sounds great too...I know it would come in handy but I''m just worried they''ll already have one.

I thought I knew what I was leaning towards, but I really don''t! I''m going to go to Crate & Barrel (my new favourite store since it just came to Canada a few months ago!) before the party and I''m sure I''ll find something great.

Here are some ideas:

vodka set

serving spoons - maybe too boring, but they''re gorgeous!

cake platter

Do any of these make you go ''Ooooh!!!
30.gif
''?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Something might be wrong with me... i really like the vodka set.
18.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I knew you''d say that before I even had to read it! It''s ok tlh...I really like it too!
3.gif

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
Oooo, I like those serving spoons a lot. So pretty! I think the vodka set is cool, but personally, I''d get more use out of four of these:

Clio Martini Glass

Guess it depends on your friends, though :)

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
-I really love those serving spoons! I don''t think they''re too boring at all!

-I personally love cake stands, so that is great too----but that particular one may be a little too plain.

-The vodka set is really cool....but I''m not sure how much use anyone would really get out of it. It may end up in the back of a cupboard.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Red envelope always has really cool gifts, you can search online even for couples gifts.

http://redenvelope.com/

Do they like plants? Trader Joe's has really cool weeping pussy willow trees! Or a money tree maybe?

For his and her gift certificates, I did Victoria's Secrets and Best Buy, but Lowe's or Home Depot can be really useful too! You could also do a 'Date night pack', like $25 to Panera and $25 for the movies, or $20 to Blockbuster and $25 to a pizza place (like Papa Johns, etc), and you could throw in a bottle of wine :)

I would personally LOVE $50 towards the Melting Pot! It's so pricey but delicious!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 5:56:14 PM
Author: babygirl
Oooo, I like those serving spoons a lot. So pretty! I think the vodka set is cool, but personally, I''d get more use out of four of these:

Clio Martini Glass

Guess it depends on your friends, though :)
Oooh! Those are neat. Unfortunately I know they have a martini set....they''ve even bought boxes and boxes of martini glasses to give out as favours at the wedding!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 6:56:38 PM
Author: ice-queen
-I really love those serving spoons! I don''t think they''re too boring at all!

-I personally love cake stands, so that is great too----but that particular one may be a little too plain.

-The vodka set is really cool....but I''m not sure how much use anyone would really get out of it. It may end up in the back of a cupboard.
I think the serving spoons are stunning! There''s just not a lot of sentiment behind the gift, you know? I''d love to buy them for my kitchen though!

I know her fiance likes to entertain...and drink. He''s an army man...enough said, right?

I haven''t even shown my BF my gift ideas yet. I just told him we were going to Crate & Barrel before the party on Saturday!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
oh trill....I heart you but I''m in Canada
7.gif
(<-- not because I live in Canada but because your ideas are great but not too practical since I left this to the last minute!).

I''ve saved redenvelope in my favourites and unfortunately we don''t have Trader Joe''s or Victoria''s Secret stores. A ''date night gift pack'' is an awesome idea...that''s officially being added to my list.

A Panera Bread franchise just opened (about 15 minutes from me) in December and I would also love a Melting Pot gift certificate except we don''t have one of those either! In fact, I only know of Melting Pot from PS and I''m so jealous that we don''t have ANY fondue restaurants in or around Toronto!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 7:53:57 PM
Author: sammyj
oh trill....I heart you but I'm in Canada
7.gif
(<-- not because I live in Canada but because your ideas are great but not too practical since I left this to the last minute!).

I've saved redenvelope in my favourites and unfortunately we don't have Trader Joe's or Victoria's Secret stores. A 'date night gift pack' is an awesome idea...that's officially being added to my list.

A Panera Bread franchise just opened (about 15 minutes from me) in December and I would also love a Melting Pot gift certificate except we don't have one of those either! In fact, I only know of Melting Pot from PS and I'm so jealous that we don't have ANY fondue restaurants in or around Toronto!

Apologies, I am such an American, we just assume that everyone else is!
9.gif

Gotta work on my cultural sensitivity, but your post reminded me of a line from some movie where Chris Rock was running for president, and the guy he was running against would always say "God Bless America, and no one else!"

I thought that was so hysterical, and really does remind me of some of the politics here. My friend and I always tease and say "God bless my friends and no one else!" hehe
12.gif

Good luck with the gift!

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 4:21:18 PM
Author: kittybean
For our engagement, we didn''t get many gifts, but we did get some that we really appreciated. The ones we liked best were several restaurant gift certificates, bottles of wine/champagne, a set of pewter candlesticks, scented candles (can never have too many of those), and a fantastic party thrown by a few of my bridesmaids and other girlfriends.

Although the spa/restaurant/golf idea sounds lovely, it seems to me like that might cost a lot more than $50. One spa treatment or one round of golf will easily run much more than $50. You could, of course, just give them $25 each in gift certificates to help them pay for those things, but I know I appreciate a gift certificate most when I don''t have to add a bunch of money to it (since I''m underemployed these days).

Good point kittybean I was thinking along the same lines - $25 or $30 each to the bride and groom - I guess it depends on the couple. If they''re the kind of people who''d only use it if it covered an entire purchase or service then its probably a bad idea. I know I''m a complete retail sucker - you can give me a $5 gift certificate and I''ll justify a $50 purchase because I saved $5! haha! Thats why gift certificates are sold, suckers like me
2.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I second the idea for a voucher for a massage/day spa so they can go and have a treatment together.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 8:06:51 PM
Author: trillionaire

Date: 2/19/2009 7:53:57 PM
oh trill....I heart you but I''m in Canada
7.gif

I''ve saved redenvelope in my favourites and unfortunately we don''t have Trader Joe''s or Victoria''s Secret stores. A ''date night gift pack'' is an awesome idea...that''s officially being added to my list.

A Panera Bread franchise just opened (about 15 minutes from me) in December and I would also love a Melting Pot gift certificate except we don''t have one of those either! In fact, I only know of Melting Pot from PS and I''m so jealous that we don''t have ANY fondue restaurants in or around Toronto!

Apologies, I am such an American, we just assume that everyone else is!
9.gif

Gotta work on my cultural sensitivity, but your post reminded me of a line from some movie where Chris Rock was running for president, and the guy he was running against would always say ''God Bless America, and no one else!''

I thought that was so hysterical, and really does remind me of some of the politics here. My friend and I always tease and say ''God bless my friends and no one else!'' hehe
12.gif

Good luck with the gift!
Haha trill, no worries! Being the shopaholic that I am, it does hurt to be reminded that we don''t have a lot of great stores and restaurants here in Canada!
2.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:53:35 PM
Author: SailorsSweet<3

Good point kittybean I was thinking along the same lines - $25 or $30 each to the bride and groom - I guess it depends on the couple. If they''re the kind of people who''d only use it if it covered an entire purchase or service then its probably a bad idea. I know I''m a complete retail sucker - you can give me a $5 gift certificate and I''ll justify a $50 purchase because I saved $5! haha! Thats why gift certificates are sold, suckers like me
2.gif
I''m so bad with this too! Especially with ''buy one get half off'' deals! Whether I need it or not, I feel so great getting ''a deal.'' Bad for my wallet but good for my soul....

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:27:57 PM
Author: honey22
I second the idea for a voucher for a massage/day spa so they can go and have a treatment together.
Thanks honey. I thought about this but they live in a city that''s 30 minutes away from me and I''m not crazy about the spa selections there. Maybe for a shower gift or something I''ll take more time to look into this because I know my friend would really appreciate it.

I went and bought a crystal serving platter today and I think I''m also going to purchase some sort of gourmet food mix - either actual food (chocolates, cookies) or mixes to make later...think Williams Sonoma. If anyone has ideas for what to give with the platter, let me know!

Ah! I love giving gifts but this time it''s haaaard!

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 5:10:19 PM
Date: 2/19/2009 10:27:57 PM

Author: honey22

Thanks honey. I thought about this but they live in a city that''s 30 minutes away from me and I''m not crazy about the spa selections there. Maybe for a shower gift or something I''ll take more time to look into this because I know my friend would really appreciate it.

I went and bought a crystal serving platter today and I think I''m also going to purchase some sort of gourmet food mix - either actual food (chocolates, cookies) or mixes to make later...think Williams Sonoma. If anyone has ideas for what to give with the platter, let me know!

Ah! I love giving gifts but this time it''s haaaard!

How about a cook books for couples or "cooking for two" kind of thing. My roommate and I bought it for the two of us haha. But yea, sometimes its hard even with dividing ingredients in half to figure out how much and how many - most cook books serve 4-6 with a meal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results