shape
carat
color
clarity

Dystopian literature. Any fans?

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_literature has a lot of really good books on it. I also loved George S. Schuyler's Black No More (it's set some time around the 1920s-1930s, and a technology is invented to turn black people white with some interesting results). It's particularly interesting if you're familiar with some of the political big names from around the Harlem Renaissance time because he definitely satirizes a lot of important people, but it's good either way. I looooove Brave New World! Hope you enjoy it, too!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, Enders Game isn't really dystopian, but it's an excellent Trilogy with a lot of beauty in it. Also, if you have young children or grandchildren who are at all nerdy or geeky, chances are they've read this book and loved it. I'm pretty sure you'll find it in almost all "Top 10 Sci Fi" lists, it is an absolute gem.

I'm not sure if this counts either, but Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson was also very good, it has wit and a dark humor to it (the protagonist is named Hiro Protagonist). It is also a sci book by a classic sci fi author.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1294545269|2817949 said:
I agree, Enders Game isn't really dystopian, but it's an excellent Trilogy with a lot of beauty in it. Also, if you have young children or grandchildren who are at all nerdy or geeky, chances are they've read this book and loved it. I'm pretty sure you'll find it in almost all "Top 10 Sci Fi" lists, it is an absolute gem.

I'm not sure if this counts either, but Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson was also very good, it has wit and a dark humor to it (the protagonist is named Hiro Protagonist). It is also a sci book by a classic sci fi author.

My Dh has Snow Crash and has recommended it a few times...He said something about it being Cyber Punk?

"The Traveler" is tripping me out. It keeps talking about "citizens" ignoring the obvious that we're all being tracked and cameras are doing more than protecting us, etc.! I'm only 1/3 of the way into the book and am now super paranoid. Ducking and covering behind the cereal aisle ;-) lol

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well MC, if you already have it, there's really no excuse not to read it!

If you're at all science-y, you'd probably enjoy it. He is an author that writes books with interesting sci-fi plots that are usually very well researched and plausible enough to be a little eerie. In fact, his latest work Anathem was recently reviewed by Nature magazine, which is uncommon as it's a highly respected magazine that usually reviews the scientific research (studies and what not).

Can you tell I"m an uber-dork yet? Haha.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Do any of you worry about this kind of stuff actually happening? :o

*runs away*

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
having grown up during the cold war, air raid drills, getting under my desk at school, being told that a shelter/bunker well supplied was necessary for survival, and a air watch tower in the park two blocks from home in which i played.....not to mention the cuban missle crisis, well, yes, i'm programed to fear the SHTF scenario.

MoZo

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1294566119|2818036 said:
Do any of you worry about this kind of stuff actually happening? :o

*runs away*

Danny - that is the thing. When I've read these books, they always make them sound like some horrific future event, but the current novel I'm reading is from 2005, and basically, even though it's a story, says, that we're all idiots for thinking this stuff HASN'T happened! Get this, I told my husband about how in the book it was saying that there are facial recognition programs and he told me his friend was in a convenient store and there were little boxes on the videos closing in on the shoppers' faces! Basically, we all read this as sci-fi, but in reality, according to some, we're naive to think that we're not being tracked and/or this stuff is just fictional!!! :errrr: I don't know what to think, but am starting to believe I'm in the la-la-land camp who just ignores the obvious - that we are sort of in a big-brother world!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quick book update. I read "The Traveler," which isn't exactly Dystopian but was a fun quick read and there are two other books that follow that...(ordered those from library)

Also, read Brave New World and liked it. Was surprised that a book written in the 30s had the gov. condition people to focus on just fun & loving (to put it sublty). I was good and I'm going to look into some of Huxley's other books.

Have to say though that I'm LOVING "The Hunger Games." I'm on page 264 already and will be finishing it up tonight! I recommend it to everyone who is looking for a face paced, suspenseful book!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

Bumping this thread up because I just finished the third book of the Hunger Games Trilogy (Mockingjay) and wanted to say thanks for recommending the series. There is a huge wait list at the library so I did end up buying all three books (the second two in hardcover - got one at Target 30% off and the other at a used book store). I did like the series a lot! Probably not the best writing/trilogy out there, but was riviting and kept me up reading late at night :)

The movie is set to come out March of 2012 and the idea kind of creeps me out...Even though I'm excited to see it, in theory, the reality of watching real KIDS' faces/actions in 'the arena' makes me wonder how the movie will be enjoyable. Eh...

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the suggestions. I have read many of these books, but found some recommendations I'm interested in reading. I would add Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm to the list. I'm sure A Clockwork Orange was already mentioned. The Strain, which is the first book in a trilogy, is also worth reading.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
risingsun|1296540030|2839038 said:
Thank you for all the suggestions. I have read many of these books, but found some recommendations I'm interested in reading. I would add Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm to the list. I'm sure A Clockwork Orange was already mentioned. The Strain, which is the first book in a trilogy, is also worth reading.

First, I loved Brave New World. It's one of my all Time favorites. I'm also a huge Ayn Rand fan.

In terms of the literature, Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies are great, but they both disturb me tremendously. I think in large part to the movies. Especially, Animal Farm, that one is just too much. I was a ninth grader then, so maybe that's why.

The first dystopian novel that I ever read was, The Giver by Lois Lowry. To this day, it's still my absolute favorite book. I remember crying when I read it. I think reading as an adult might be different because I know so much more about literature now, but it's a small book and would take at most, three days to read it. Those without kids could read it faster.

Someone asked about Farenheit 451. I love it also.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I tried to read The Road. Couldn't do it. I don't want to see the movie, either. I have read a number of Cormac McCarthy's books. I've stopped after No Country for Old Men. I think he is a gifted writer, but I have my limits!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
pennquaker09|1296548901|2839110 said:

First, I loved Brave New World. It's one of my all Time favorites. I'm also a huge Ayn Rand fan.

What is a good Ayn Rand book to start out with? I own Atlas Shrugged but it's so long and it would be better (for me) to test out her writing style with a shorter novel. (I have a difficult time giving up a book even if I don't like it, so instead I'll sit there and stare at it for a month not getting any reading done.) I read 8 books during Jan. b/c I finally found some authors I like. It took me 1 month to read the previous book I was on b/c it was SO painfully boring.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I think Anthem is the shortest (it's technically a novella), but I really feel that you are either going to love or hate Ayn Rand (personally, I love her), it's such a specific philosophy that's evident in her work you shouldn't feel bad if you start with Atlas, hate it and move on 1/3 way in. If you love it, you will be hooked long before the 1/3 mark comes around. I like Atlas better than Fountainhead, although both are good and worth reading. Fountainhead is shorter than Atlas, but still quite substantial- the woman had a lot to say!

I haven't gotten to Anthem yet, though it's on my list, so I can't give a personal recommendation on how it compares to Atlas and Fountainhead, but it should be a quick read to see if you like the style and philosophy of Ayn Rand :wavey:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
MC|1296580213|2839455 said:

What is a good Ayn Rand book to start out with? I own Atlas Shrugged but it's so long and it would be better (for me) to test out her writing style with a shorter novel. (I have a difficult time giving up a book even if I don't like it, so instead I'll sit there and stare at it for a month not getting any reading done.) I read 8 books during Jan. b/c I finally found some authors I like. It took me 1 month to read the previous book I was on b/c it was SO painfully boring.

I also enjoyed The Hunger Games. I would start reading Ayn Rand with The Fountain Head. I think it will give more of a sense of who she is than Anthem. I read Atlas Shrugged. I think that Atlas Shrugged is one of those books that you "need" to read. It's an important work of literature. I am always reading and since I got my Kindle, there's also another book waiting ;-)

princesss

Ideal_Rock

In terms of the literature, Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies are great, but they both disturb me tremendously. I think in large part to the movies. Especially, Animal Farm, that one is just too much. I was a ninth grader then, so maybe that's why.

The first dystopian novel that I ever read was, The Giver by Lois Lowry. To this day, it's still my absolute favorite book. I remember crying when I read it. I think reading as an adult might be different because I know so much more about literature now, but it's a small book and would take at most, three days to read it. Those without kids could read it faster.

Someone asked about Farenheit 451. I love it also.

The Giver is one of my all time favourite books. I think I loaned out my copy. I'll have to get another one. I love that book every time I read it, especially the ending (this is where I'll confess I've been an optimist since birth, and the other way the ending can be taken never occurred to me - somebody mentioned it to me when I was 20 and it was the first time I'd even considered it).

Love this thread! I love dystopian lit. I'm definitely adding many of these to my reading list.

MC - The Traveler - is that by John Twelve Hawks?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1296616368|2840236 said:
MC - The Traveler - is that by John Twelve Hawks?

Yes, the Traveler is by Hawks. I had looked to see what else he's written and discovered that apparently "Hawks" is a pseudonym and nobody knows his real name and he's adopted the "off-the-grid" lifestyle that some of the characters in his books have taken on. His editor has never met him in real life and stuff like that. Just kind of odd... lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results