shape
carat
color
clarity

Duty for Canadians - Help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am very close of getting a diamond from the US. I live in Ontorio, Canada. I need to know if I need to pay excise tax/duty when I ship a ring over? I know I have to pay the 6% GST and 8% PST. I need to know for sure if there are additional taxes. It will affect my decision on the purchase price = size of diamond that I can afford.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanaks.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Early this year, the excise tax on jewellery was abolished. You can read the document dated May 2006, on the Canadian Jewellers Association website.
www.canadianjeweller.com

If in doubt, call or check the Can. Gov''t website. Besides your Provincial tax and GST you will be responsible for the exchange rate. Hope this is helpful.

cheers--Sharon

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sharon.

Other than the taxes, any Canuk have had their rings shipped over from the US? I am am a bit worried about having a piece of jewerly shipped over, don''t want it to get lost. I know I will have it insured but I am paranoid.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While there is no guarantee that something may never get lost, I have had good experiences with FEDEx and USPS. I live in Western Canada and have purchased two items from American PS vendors and both were insured and sent by FedEx and there was no problem whatsoever. Ebay items have always seemed to find their way to my door, by the (insured) US Postal system.

FedEx has their limits on insurance--sorry don''t know exactly how much, but a search on their topic here will yield more than a few threads.

I know it is nerve racking--I always worry as well.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results