shape
carat
color
clarity

Dust for my new rescue pup

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
So-- last Wednesday, we adopted a 10-12 week old Golden Retriever/Newfie mix pup as it was the same week we adopted our beloved Tori 5 years ago. Thursday night, he vomitted, just water. We figured he was just stressed and didn't think much of it. Friday, he vomited bile up and I was deeply concerned about possibly distemper or parvo as he just had one set of vaccinations as the owners didn't give him up till he was about approximately 8 weeks old and the rescue organization gave him his first set of vaccinations and deworming (he was due next week for his 2nd set). Friday, we took him into the Vet.. parvo snap test was inconclusive but wasn't a definite positive. We insisted he start on treatment just in case it is parvo (his fecal test was negative for any other GI bug or parasite). And so we did an injectible antibiotic, flagyl, and cerenia along with 150 ml of LR along with a prescription for oral cerenia, flagyl, and clavamox. He did well, didn't vomit at all and had a healthy appetite.

Come Monday, he had the classic parvo diarrhea and we took him back into the vet (he had been on flagyl and clavamox since Friday and Cerenia). And we're hospitalizing him. He was doing great up until today, where he wouldn't even go to greet the vet at the front of his cage and is pretty lethargic. This is my first instance of dealing with parvo and I was wondering if anyone else had a pup who had parvo and if they could give me any sort of idea of what we're in for. He's currently getting IV flagyl, Unasyn, and LR with KCL. He's stopped eating and they are having to syringe feed him now. From what I know (back when I was a pre-vet major) that his survival rate is pretty decent since we started treatment before he was very symptomatic and lethargic. Can anyone chime in?

We have kept him separate from our other dogs from the get-go and only have let him out on puppy pads on a sectioned off portion of the patio. We do foster frequently and know to quarantine new dogs for 2 weeks.

Please, if I could have some PS dust for Gambit I'd greatly appreciate it. Especially after losing 2 senior dogs earlier this year to congenital heart complications.

(He has some hair loss around his eyes, negative for sarcoptic mange and demodex, but we're treating it anyways like it is demodex as it is bilateral and symmetrical. He does have some scabs and scars on his face-- the original owners other dogs were attacking him before they gave him up to rescue).

unnamed__1__6.jpg unnamed__2__10.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending doggie dust for Gambit. Hope he has more energy soon.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
What a dear little soul.
Doggie dust!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh what a gorgeous wee boy. All the dust for his recovery - I hope he turns the corner soon.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Sending loads of "dust" for Gambit your way. Thank you for rescuing him.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the dust!

Has anyone here dealt with parvo at all? I am just worried because he had a really good energy level up until this morning. I've heard that dogs with parvo can wax and wane-- but am unsure. Can anyone chime in?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear this. I haven't dealt with parvo, but had to respond to say that I'm sending ALL THE DUST to your sweet guy. He's just freaking adorable! I really hope this is just a bump in his recovery and that he gets better soon!!!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dust for your beautiful puppy!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
No experience with parvo, but sending your cutie lots of dust. I had to take flagyl once and it was a misery.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had a rescue with parvo. She was a mess but after 3-4 days she started to turn around. It was a few years ago so I don't remember specifics but it was about a week in ICU and thousands of dollars :(. Once they get over the hump it's small out sail get. I hope your sweet baby pulls through ok.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful puppy, I will say a prayer for his quick recovery.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poor kiddo. TONS OF RECOVERY AND TRIUMPH dust. And hugs for you and your family. It's hard to feel helpless in the face of an animal's suffering.

Q

Queenie60

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Poor baby! Wishing the little guy well!!!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww bless his precious little puppy heart! Hope he is on the mend soon!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many hugs and so much dust to this sweet sweet boy.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your dust and well-wishes for Gambit, it is much appreciated.

UpgradingMama: That's a relief. Tonight will be 3 day of hospitalization and he's actually worse off today than he was when he was initially hospitalized. :( He has less energy and has no desire to eat. We've already spent thousands of dollars on this hospitalization, not to mention when Tori was hospitalized in the ICU for her Biventricular failure and subsequently endocarditis and with Chico who went into flash pulmonary edema from his CHF. I know it's crazy to most people to spend upwards of 20k on hospitalizations for their dogs this year, but they are our kids!

Gypsy thank you so much-- I know you truly care for the fur kiddos and understand how they are our kids! I hate not being able to monitor him (part of my personality and I suppose from being an ICU RN) and I hate how I feel like I am not really doing anything to help him.

I went to visit him today, but they said I couldn't go past the door :( I could only see him from the window. I was hoping they'd let me try to feed him as he might take feedings from a familiar face much more easily.

unnamed__4__1.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ohh, poor Gambit and Mama! It's such a helpless feeling when kids (human or four legged) are sick. I will be praying for him! He's adorable!

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1480558780|4103923 said:
UpgradingMama: That's a relief. Tonight will be 3 day of hospitalization and he's actually worse off today than he was when he was initially hospitalized. :( He has less energy and has no desire to eat. We've already spent thousands of dollars on this hospitalization, not to mention when Tori was hospitalized in the ICU for her Biventricular failure and subsequently endocarditis and with Chico who went into flash pulmonary edema from his CHF. I know it's crazy to most people to spend upwards of 20k on hospitalizations for their dogs this year, but they are our kids!

I know it really messes up their systems. It's so scary and I remember feeling like it was never going to end. In my case she pulled through and about 6 mos later we had to give her away because she was too rough with my 2 year old! That was an expensive mistake all around. For you, I hope that your sweetheart pulls through and ends up being your underdog that you can't imagine life without!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, poor little doggie buddy. Sending healing dust to Gambit and strength to mama-Gambit. i hadn't heard of parvo until this thread. I hope Gambit pulls through.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Truckloads of dust for Gambit. It must be so scary for you, but fingers crossed your pup is through the worst of it. And that adorable face!! It's impossible to resist that much cuteness.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bless you, ROL, and your hubby for having such big hearts. Another one who has had no experience with Parvo but is sending healing energy, prayers, and tons o' dust. I am totally with you about feeling like you want to DO more; I wish they would just let you sit with him because I bet he would get some of your healing and loving vibes. :( Hang in there, Mama.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep the faith ROL. Prayers and dust for your sweet Gambit.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of your sweet puppy who deserves so much better! Tons of dust!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ROL, I am so sorry you and Gambit and your dh are going through this.
I am sending bucket loads of healing vibes and good luck dust to sweet Gambit.
Praying for his full recovery and keeping you all in my thoughts and sending you (((hugs))).

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! I'm so sorry! I hope he turns a corner soon. Have they given you any idea of prognosis? Or it's just wait and see?

This puppy was so lucky to end up with your family. He probably didn't even have a chance otherwise.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one with no experience or advice to offer, just lots of hugs and dust that Gambit pulls through! He looks like such a snugglebear, I hope he can get lots of lovins again soon!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your positivity for Gambit and our pack! It really means a lot-- and it's a great feeling knowing there are so many animal lovers out here.

This morning's update from the vet:
"Much brighter this morning, wagging his tail, walking around his cage. He even walked up to the vet when she went to examine him this morning in his cage. He did have diarrhea overnight (watery) but no vomiting. Tolerating syringe feeds well, they will try to see if he'll eat on his own. Adjust KCL in his LR based on the electrolytes."

Paws crossed he will eat on his own-- but the diarrhea doesn't bode well.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1480620431|4104098 said:
Thank you all for your positivity for Gambit and our pack! It really means a lot-- and it's a great feeling knowing there are so many animal lovers out here.

This morning's update from the vet:
"Much brighter this morning, wagging his tail, walking around his cage. He even walked up to the vet when she went to examine him this morning in his cage. He did have diarrhea overnight (watery) but no vomiting. Tolerating syringe feeds well, they will try to see if he'll eat on his own. Adjust KCL in his LR based on the electrolytes."

Paws crossed he will eat on his own-- but the diarrhea doesn't bode well.
This is good news!!!

Dust for the pup!!! He sounds like a fighter!!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
More dust please, it seems to be working !

Latest update this evening:
He actually ate on his own, not much but this is a HUGE improvement. Still tolerating syringe feedings well. His glucose is dropping, so they are going to add a 2.5% dextrose solution to his IV fluids. Labs are pretty stable, they look the same as they did on Monday, but there are still suspected bands on the neutrophils. Sepsis is a concern still and he's not out of the woods yet. He is pacing his cage and wagging his tail so this is great news. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results