shape
carat
color
clarity

Dubai and Abu Dhabi

kah42

Shiny_Rock
My husband has a few business meetings in Dubai and Abu Dhabi at the end of the month, and I'm able to take some time off to join him. We'll be in Dubai for about 2 days and Abu Dhabi for 3. For anyone that has been to either places (I think a few PSers live in the area), any suggestions on things I should do? I'm open to all kinds of ideas! I'm also thinking about doing some bling shopping while I'm there, so tips are welcomed.

Thanks!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
My husband has a few business meetings in Dubai and Abu Dhabi at the end of the month, and I'm able to take some time off to join him. We'll be in Dubai for about 2 days and Abu Dhabi for 3. For anyone that has been to either places (I think a few PSers live in the area), any suggestions on things I should do? I'm open to all kinds of ideas! I'm also thinking about doing some bling shopping while I'm there, so tips are welcomed.

Thanks!

I’m not as familiar with Dubai, but the Burj is worth seeing as is their gold souk for non-branded jewellery (particularly gold, not sure about gemstones or pearls). I’ve only bought a small pair of diamond hoops from the gold souk before so won’t be able to give any recommendations sadly! You can book a sand-bashing / sand boarding session if you’re into that kind of activity (it’s quite fun).

I’ve lived in Abu Dhabi before so know it better and three days is a good amount of time! Definitely go to the Grand Mosque (stunning) and the Louvre (I think the Cartier exhibition is on until March!). There’s also a gold souk in Abu Dhabi but it’s smaller than Dubai’s.

Regarding branded jewellery, it could make sense to buy from the UAE depending on exchange rate. I bought a couple of items from VCA and Tiffany, saving low single digit percentages vs the UK (not sure how it compares vs the US esp with taxes… it always boggles my mind how you have to add different amounts of tax on top of the listed prices in the US depending on where you live o_O). Dubai Mall is well known, or the Galleria in Abu Dhabi has most of the branded jewellery houses.

Enjoy your trip! You’re going at a lovely time of the year when the weather is nice and not too hot :)

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually I also have to go to dubai and Abu Dhabi in about 2 weeks time, I'd be super curious if anyone can suggest things to keep my two kids busy?

If anyone has any ideas about an activity I can do for my (turning 6 yrs old) daughter in Abu Dhabi to celebrate her birthday that would be super helpful!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Abu Dhabi Yas island has four theme parks which are fab for kids. The weather should be lovely too.

The Louvre had a childrens museum and yes the Cartier exhibit is still on (and is amazing). The Qasr Al Watan (presidential palace) is incredible to visit. Emirates Palace is also impressive.

Galleria Mall and Yas Mall are both good for shopping. Mamsha Al Saadiyat and Yas Bay have some lovely restaurants and both have a long promenade by the sea which you can walk along.

If you prefer nature the Jubail Mangrove park is nice to walk round - go early morning to see the birds and fishes.

I am a regular visitor to the Gold and diamond park in Dubai. I love the jewellery shop Javahir - they do all my custom bench work and the owner Mr Haider is lovely, as is his shop manager Imran. Tell them Mrs Emma sent you!

Hope you both have a great time. We love it here.

peachster

Rough_Rock
The Burj Khalifa is cool and the fountains at night a pleasure. I went to the big malls for chuckles but didn’t spend a dime. Likewise, I went to the gold souk just for the experience, but had more fun in the spice souk and in the old section. The desert excursion was actually fun - some parts a bit touristy but the dune carving was fun, rode a camel, sand boarded (and I’m 60 and don’t snowboard so oops!). Good food, and lots of good sweets. I really enjoyed Dubai. And really nice people too.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions! This place is surprisingly beautiful. I've always flown straight through dubai without stopping over, but it is really nice. 20240120_181758.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results