shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
We are eloping to Thailand this summer and then my parents are throwing us a big reception about 2 months later. I want a dress to wear at both events that is straight, fitted, modern, and pretty but not OTT-both because that is my style and because I have to fly with it over to Thailand.

I want to keep the planning of all of this as simple as possible. I thought I would order a J Crew dress and be done with it. I ordered 3 and didn''t like any of them. I started looking into other options and found about 6 Nicole Miller styles I like. I then realized no shop in my city carries Nicole Miller-I live in a fairly large city, but the bridal options tend to be limited and more traditional.

I found a shop an hour away that carries Nicole Miller- I loved her dresses and they looked great on, but they only had a few styles. I have one there I am considering.

I looked into other shops that carry NM-there is one 3 hours away that has one more style I am interested in, but I didn''t find the dresses I like the most until I called a shop that is 9 hours away (I would have to fly there.) They are having a Nicole Miller trunk show in a few weeks. I looked at this shop''s website and they carry Amy Kuschel as well-I then fell in love with several of her designs. I checked with the shop and they don''t carry any of the styles I am interested in.

I was out Christmas shopping the other day and a local boutique has a small Vera Wang section. I had not even looked at her dresses because I thought they would be too OTT. I found one that I liked very much and would be appropriate for my wedding-of course it was more $$ than some of the others. While looking on the VW website, I fell in love with one of her Fall 2010 dresses-it was exactly what I have pictured. That shop is having a trunk show in March, when I could see the new dress. But I have no idea of the price, and I would have to wait until March, for an August wedding.

I am so confused! It is so hard not to be able to try them on all in one place and to have to travel to 3 states to try them on at all!
Any advice?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
If you have a salon nearby that carries the designer, they should be able to bring in dresses from that line for you. This will probably cost you a fee per dress, but will probably be worth that much travel.

Also, just because a store carries a line, it does not mean they will have every dress in that line. Most smaller shops only carry a few dresses by each designer. They also will not bring in an entire collection just because they are having a trunk show. You can call the store and request a style, but it doesn''t mean they will be able to bring a sample.

My advice is to not travel around the country looking for dresses. Open up your search. Hit up some local shops and try on everything. If you are still unable to find a dress you like, bring in a couple samples you like in styles that look best on you. Having also taken a dress internationally for a DW, I would also suggest heavy fabrics, even though you might currently think they are over the top). You simply cannot guarantee your dress won''t be shoved into an overhead bin (even if you call ahead of time and arrange for closet space--trust me) unless you are flying first class. Even if you are flying first class, with layovers, customs, and security lines, there is no way to keep the dress perfect. Heavier fabrics will hold their shape much better and will likely not have to be steamed or pressed upon arrival.

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for responding. I understand that shops can''t carry every style (that''s why I''ve been calling ahead) but it just seems none of the ones nearby carry ANY of the styles I am looking for. There aren''t many bridal shops where I live and they tend to be traditional. It just seems that I am going to have to get a just OK dress unless I travel.

I am looking for lightweight fabrics because I am basically getting married on the equator-it will be pretty hot.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No real advice on the dress front as I didn''t really do much shopping for mine.

But I hope you love your time in Thailand! I lived there for 2 years and it''s such a gorgeous country, and the food is amazing.
1.gif
Congrats!

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
I am so excited about doing it in Thailand! I''ve spent a month there, but my BF has never been. We are getting married in the Golden Triangle, and also going to Bangkok and Samui.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Norstroms? They have a great selection of less formal white dresses.

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
So, I found it!

My mom and I went today to 2 stores-the one that carried the Vera Wang and a more traditional store that carries brands like Melissa Sweet, Priscilla, Amsale, Ramona Keveza. I had not been to the bridal store before, and tried on every dress that could possibly be for a destination wedding. They were different styles, fabrics, and brands and some looked nice but nothing really excited me.

We then went and tried on the Vera Wang''s. I had been alone last time so my mom had not seen them. - When I put the first one on, both my mom and I knew it was the one. It is a little more than some of the Nicole Miller, but not having to look out of town saves a lot of money!

I have been trying for 15 minutes to attach the picture and can''t get it to work.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on finding your dress! And a Vera to boot! I can't wait to see the pic.

You need to make sure the photo you are trying to attach is under 100 KB in size, otherwise the site won't accept it. You can resize a picture in iPhone (on a Mac) or with whatever photo software your PC has (right click on the pic, choose "open with", choose the photo editing software and then in it figure out how to resize).

ETA: also, make sure the file name of the photo is unique, i.e. "cakegirlsverawangdress", not just "weddingdress" or what not.

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you-I think I''ve fianally figured it out!
Here is the dress...

cakesgirlsweddingdress.jpg

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
That''s gorg cakegirl!!! From what I can see anyway, what''s the style?
2.gif

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
I hope this comes out bigger. The dress is drapey silk chiffon, with folded tulle over the bust and a chiffon flower just below. I really like that it is drapey, but still very fitted through the torso-that is hard to find.

verawangdresscakegirl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results