shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress taste

EyeElle

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been browsing online looking at wedding gowns.
I have been showing my fiance some I like, some I don''t just to get an idea of his own taste in them.

I quickly found out that what I like he doesn''t
And what he likes I am not to fond of
7.gif

I was wondering: would any of you buy a dress that you know he doesn''t like but you do, or do you try to incorporate his likes into the dress and pick something inbetween??

And yes I know he will think I am beautiful in whatever I wear, but besides this, what are your views on this??

Thanks!!!

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t stress to much about it,all he is going to see when you walk down the aisle is how beautiful you are.the rest won''t matter :)

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t stress it either. I also wouldn''t get too attached to pics I see in magazines or online. I think when you try them on, you will find something you look gorgeous that may or may not look like what you pictured. And I am sure that your FI will love whatever you choose.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I wouldn''t worry too much about it. FI told me he likes "simple" dresses. No beading, no lace. I cropped my head out of two pictures wearing a different style in each. One, a very sparkly lace/crystal dress, the other, a simple but beautiful satin number with some interest, but nothing too flashy. He said he liked the flashier one better.

Your FI will love whatever you''re wearing that day. Is it certain things you like that he doesn''t or is it the general style of the dress. Do you love mermaid but he hates them and pictures you in a ballgown? If that''s the case,

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I showed my FI a bunch of dress pictures. There was only 1 he said he didn''t like. Guess what? I bought that exact dress. Boys especially can''t always tell what will look good on a model/hanger verses you. I say get what looks awesome on you and he will only see you as beautiful.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
This is actually how my FI is with ALL my clothes. I buy something that is cute and get tons of compliments from friends and family and he doesn't like it. In general though, he doesn't care what I am wearing and tells me I look beautiful whether he likes what I am wearing or not. I guess I could dress in what he likes but I feel it would be losing me and also when I love what I am wearing, I am happier and more confident, so that has to show. I like to think that he notices that and that's why he tells me I look good or he has given up or our tastes have combined (unlikely since he still thinks the weirdest things look good together).

Anyways, I worried about this too with the dress and decided what you already said, he will think I am pretty no matter what and ESPECIALLY if I feel pretty because I am wearing a dress that I love. Now if he was vehemently against a dress, I wouldn't buy it or if he liked a certain thing like rouching or sweetheart neckline, etc...then I would try to work it in.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I would not stress. You really can't tell by pictures what you will actually look stunning in, honestly.

My DH has great taste for clothing. Admittedly better than mine. For a recent example, he came with me last week to help me find a dress for a wedding we are going to in a couple weeks and was very honest about what looked good on me and so forth. I went home with one we both liked - and it was one that I had picked out. At same time, a lot of the ones he liked on the hanger did not look so good on or were not flattering (same with some of those I picked though). Moral of story - you really HAVE to try the dresses on. What is flattering on a hanger may not be on you, and the reverse. You may find you go for something COMPLETELY different than you thought you would like.

Anyway, when I picked a wedding dress I just went with what I felt beautiful in, and yet still felt like ME. I went shopping on my own so it really was all in my hands, ha. And I had no idea beforehand what DH would like in a wedding dress for me - I had no idea what I even wanted and I was not even sure I was going to go with a wedding dress as we were on a major time crunch. My concern was more about finding something ready off the hanger, than something perfect, and I had NEVER looked at wedding dresses beforehand (nor did I have any magazines to browse, etc). The one I fell for was simple, elegant and with a tiny bit of detail and it WAS perfect for me. It was also in many ways not what I thought I would go for at all - it was so unimpressive on the hanger. He did see a picture of it (not of me in it) but did not say a whole lot other than "wow, it really is a wedding dress!" and asked what I liked about it (that I did go with an actual wedding dress was a surprise it seemed!). It was unimpressive on the hanger to him as well. A couple weeks after I had bought it he pointed out a flashy dress he saw with all sorts of different things going on (tulle, sparkle, lace) and said it was really neat and interesting and that he really liked it. Totally NOT like the dress I picked out AT ALL.

I did not stress about it and believe me, on the day of the wedding, he told me 1,000 times over I looked beautiful; and he really, really liked my dress.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
When has the average guy been able to look at a magazine and understand what will look good on a woman's body? Seriously. I've met very few guys that could look at a magazine and envision that outfit/dress on their girlfriend/wife. But when the GF/DW puts on that exact same outfit, suddenly it's all, "Oh, wow, honey! You look amazing!" with absolutely no recollection that they ever hated the outfit.

Buy the dress you love.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2010 3:29:24 PM
Author: princesss
When has the average guy been able to look at a magazine and understand what will look good on a woman''s body? Seriously. I''ve met very few guys that could look at a magazine and envision that outfit/dress on their girlfriend/wife. But when the GF/DW puts on that exact same outfit, suddenly it''s all, ''Oh, wow, honey! You look amazing!'' with absolutely no recollection that they ever hated the outfit.

Buy the dress you love.

Ditto! I don''t really understand why so many women do this before they get a dress. The man always likes something completely different than the woman. Are you really willing to buy a wedding dress *you* don''t love?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
No disrespect to my DH, but I''d never take his fashion advice
25.gif

Get what YOU like! I guarantee your SO will love it because it''s on YOU. Truth be told, guys don''t really care what dress you pick. Again, get whatever you feel like a princess in.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
double post.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
i wouldn''t worry too much, unless your FI is a fashionista, he''s probably not going to remember what he said he liked & what he said he disliked. and as others have said you in the dress is very different from the model in the dress.
on a personal note, i showed my FI some pics of me in wedding dresses to see what he liked/thought about them. when he saw the one that at the time was my favorite, he said, "that one''s like a fairy dress." first of all, it wasn''t; i''m not sure what he was looking at or referencing. second, i almost bought the dress anyway. the only reason i didn''t, is i happen to find one i liked way more.

good luck in your dress search & go with your gut. your fiance will think you look gorgeous as long as you fill confident & like the best version of yourself in your dress.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My FI refuses to participate in anything to do with the dress. He really doesn''t want to see it until the wedding day.

gls

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking the exact some thing as you! I didn''t want to pick something that he hated!

I asked him a lot of questions about what he liked at didn''t like about dresses and quickly figured out what style of dresses he preferred. I also showed him pictures, he started protesting at one stage because he didn''t want to see the dress before he sees it on me, but I assured him even if he sees it he will forget what it looks like by the time he sees me in it!!!

I ended up picking something along the lines of what he liked but that I loved and felt comfortable in. Im pretty sure all our fiances would be happy to see us walking down the aisle towards them even if it was in a potato sack!

Good luck finding a dress though!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you will GLOW if you are wearing something YOU love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results