shape
carat
color
clarity

dress shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
Last week I went to two bridal salons and found two dresses that I really like. One is monique lhullier and the other vera wang. I''m planning on going to two more salons next week. But I wanted an opinion on the first two dresses.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
This is the very wang. The one shoulder flower thing comes off and its just a straight across strapless dress.

vera wang silk organza.jpg

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
THis is the monique...I would order the skirt without the pickups, so it would just be an a-line skirt.

monique lhuiller small pic.JPG

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE the second dress! I''m not a huge fan of one-shoulder dresses cause I''m slightly nuts when it comes to symmetry, but the second dress is gorgeous! Any pics of you in them?

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
no pics of me in them. I doubt the store would allow it AND the sample siizes were bridal 8s....I''m a true size 8, so the vera, which runs small anyway, didn''t fit at all. and the one shoulder thing is WAY too much for me, I didn''t even try it on with the dress.

My worry about the monique is that it is from a couple of seasons ago, and I''ve seen someone get married in it. I''m just worried that it isn''t as special as I would want b/c I''ve seen it before.

BUt that being said, it is the ONLY dress I have ever pulled from a magazine...it was like 4 years ago and I am so not the wedding girl, my mom couldn''t believe I even noticed it, b/c weddings were so not even on my brain. But I just loved it.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I love the vera wang. I''ve seen that dress in magazines and that would be my dream wedding dress. It''s gorgeous!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Vera as well. It''s beautiful!!!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Love the Vera...I was just at a bridal event and a Vera Wang fashion show was held, unfortunately I didn''t see that gown in person but it is GORGEOUS!

JR320

Shiny_Rock
I also love the Vera! I''ve admired that dress in magazines... its so classy,IMO

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I like the monique, but the two are totally different, it really depends on your style!

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
I love the Vera!
30.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the monique but as Porridge said, it really does depend on your style. They''re very different dresses. I wouldn''t let the fact that someone else wore the monique turn you off it if it''s your favourite dress. Maybe try on a couple more and then come back to it if you still love it.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
You have great taste Lala!

I tried on a Marisa dress that was really similar to the Vera Wang gown you posted and I loved it! The only thing I noticed felt was that the layers of fabric sort of hid my shape a little. I did love the soft romantic look and feel of it though.

I can see where you''re coming form with the Monique and the fact that its been around for a few years. I don''t follow bridal couture that much but I knew right away what the name of that skirt and top were from her line. But, if you love it and feel gorgeous in it and think its for you, who cares!?! Even if you''ve already seen someone else get married in that gown it will still be your style and your wedding.
9.gif

Have you tried on any POB gowns? Melissa Sweet?

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE the second!! OK- I am biased, it is my dress but with a different skirt and colored sash
2.gif

Edit to add: BTW I am not getting married until 2011 (yes and I bought the dress) No matter what dress you get don't worry about it if you have seen it elsewhere. Get something that speaks to you. For me this dress said timeless elegance hence I bought it. Surpringly it was NOTHING like what I imagined myself getting married in. It was also very comfy.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
It''s hard for me to tell from the pic what the second dress really looks like, so with that said I''m going to pick the Vera Wang. I would personally leave off the shoulder-flower thingy as I think it takes away from the rest of the dress. Do you have any other pics that show the Monique a bit better?

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 8:24:49 PM
Author: JR320
I also love the Vera! I''ve admired that dress in magazines... its so classy,IMO
I second JR''s comment, I LOVE the Vera dress
4.gif

traceyu10

Rough_Rock
LOVE the vera gown. I think it is so romantic. I'm actually hoping to try the same gown on when I go shopping for dresses next week. By any chance, do you know about how much that specific gown is? Love it! I'm sure it would look wonderful on you.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I also really adore the Vera! I always admire it in the bridal magazines and, as others have noted, it's timeless and elegant!

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
THanks everyone! I think next week will help me fogure out what I want. I really didn''t want strapless, so Monique is leading in that regard. Vera is leading in that it is a stunning dress. BUt I keep going back to the fact that teh Monique is WAY more me and it was by far the most flattering dress i tried on. So, even though the vera is a vera and is stunning I think I''m more monique....but who knows...anne barge and POB next week!

Claritek--I tried on that marisa gown too! I actually liked it more than the Vera, b/c it was more a-line instead of fit and flare like the vera, but since I couldn''t find it online anywhere I figured it was close enough. Also, I am heading to POB next Wednesday, b/c I heart Melissa Sweet gowns!!

SBA-glad you think the monique is classic. I def. do too! I would get a tan sash with the honey colored skirt in the estelle w/o pick-ups instead of the bigger coco skirt....I don''t want a lot of pouf since our reception is at my parent''s house....furniture and poufy skirt...bad combo.

Tracey-The vera is around 5000-6000 (I think) if that is out of the price range, try to find the Marisa version...its 2500, i think. The numbers are running together, so I"m not 100% sure. But I loved the Marisa, until I tried on Monique!!!

brayhearts

Rough_Rock
Earlier this year I tried on the Vera look-alike by Marisa...below are the pics. Pictures don''t do it justice; it''s a beautiful ivory and the organza feels absolutely delicious on your skin! Of all the dresses I''ve tried on, it was the most comfortable...very lightweight, and unlike other dresses with a fitted silhouette, the tiers of organza have "a little give" incase I over indulge in wedding cake! I can''t recall the exact price, but it was consistent with her other prices...in the $2000 range. Good luck on your hunt! It''s sooooooo much fun!

-Bray

Marisa_Compilation.jpg

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 10:38:50 AM
Author: dcgator

Date: 3/29/2009 8:24:49 PM
Author: JR320
I second JR''s comment, I LOVE the Vera dress
4.gif
DITTO! I love it too!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Wow, 2 totally different styles! I think the second one is very beautiful with the sash across the middle, and the lace makes it look very vintagey. But the first is much more modern and sleek. Depends on which look you prefer. Haha I can''t even choose!! I would probably end up with the first one - more sleek and slim. But then again, the second one is very elegant and memorable! Hehe I''m no help.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results