shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress shopping w/FI?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
A

Anonymous

Is it common to go dress shopping w/your FI? B doesn''t even want to know about what style I want, much less see it (or any that I try on in the process)! He actually shushed his mom when she mentioned a detail of one that I''d emailed to her, which I thought was cute.

I just ask because I read EmDressage''s post about trying them on w/her FI and it made me wonder about what other people have done too.
5.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It''s probably more common now than it used to be, but most women I know still guard the details of their dress from their FI until they walk down the aisle. It''s in part the superstition that it''s bad luck for him to see the bride in her dress until the wedding day, but I think it''s also that element of surprise a lot of brides still cherish.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't go dress shopping with my FI, but before I went, I showed him about 25 pictures of different styles that I liked to see how he reacted to them. While I wanted to get a dress that I loved, I also wanted confirmation that whatever style I picked out wasn't going to be something he thought was hideous. As it turned out, he liked all the pictures I showed him, so I felt confident knowing that he'd be happy with pretty much anything I picked out.

What's funny is that the dress I ended up getting was one that he specifically said he liked, though he doesn't know that's what I ended up with. I didn't pick it for that reason - it just turned out that way.

He keeps asking me if I'm going to let him see it before the wedding, and I keep telling him NO.
9.gif
For me, it's not about superstition or bad luck, I just like the element of surprise and knowing our wedding day will be the first time he sees me in it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I go dress shopping, I plan to take FI with to see what he thinks of them. Unless I find "the one", I plan to go back for (or find online) the final one I choose without him.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve known other colleagues, who because of our jobs, have lived places without their dear friends or family, so they went shopping alone, rather than take their FI with them. For me personally, if I took my FI, then why bother with all the hoopla of the day and walking down the ailse. It would seem to me that I could just wear a summer dress and call it a day. I like the element of surprise and for me I''ll be looking for my FI''s reaction to seeing me in my dress for the first time.

BTW: Most people I know (my family circle, friends and colleagues) did not take their FI shopping with them.

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Hey, yeah, we are like that as well, I just took "D" with me for the first time we were just to look at a bunch of different dresses on me, as he is my best and closest friend and knows me better than anyone. Also, I knew he would be quite frank and very honest about it all. After that however, he has not seen anything else, so my reasoning is that he saw a bunch of different stuff on me and does not know which ones I am debating on or which ones I chose. After that, I go alone to be sure my thoughts are the only thoughts there, and to keep in with the tradition of the groom not seeing the bride in the dress until the day.
So, it was just for the intial whim of first trying on dresses to see what looks good and not so good on my body. :)
-Em
2.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
No way, I absolutely would never go wedding dress shopping with my fiance. I just love the idea of having the dress be a surprise, so he has no idea what to expect. I know he will think I look beautiful in whichever dress I chose. Not to mention the fact that he is a guy, and like most guys, shopping and comparing dresses is not something he would have any interest in doing.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I went alone. We were still new to city (no family here and such) plus I am not that crazy about shopping and prefer to do it on my own.

DH asked if I would like him to come but I declined mainly as I just felt I wanted to do it myself and feel a bit pampered!

I bought dress an hour or so later and could take a picture of it home. DH saw the picture of it on a dress form but did not see dress in person or me in it until I put it on on wedding day. Not out of superstition..it was just as we had planned everything else together so aside from my vows..the dress was the only thing for the wedding I "planned" or did entirely without DH input that could be a surprise and so like the vows wanted to make it special to me and DH by sharing it on wedding day!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Since we got married pretty spontaneously - and were on vacation with my family in the Rockies when we decided to marry the day after returning home - dress buying was a family affair on the streets of Jasper, B.C. with my fiance, my parents and my sister :) it was a hoot - I found a simple lace dress in a small independent store on the main street - my dad actually picked it out!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
When I couldn''t decide between my top two dress contenders, I showed FI pictures of myself in each of them (I kinda covered up my face in them though) and let him pick his favorite. This was back last summer/late fall so I''m pretty sure he''s forgotten what it looks like.

If he was really curious, he could just go look at it in our guest room closet! It''s been there since I picked it up a few weeks ago!
3.gif

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
FI came with me all three times I tried on dresses. My mom came two of those times and he''s been there for all the steps. The lack of tradition doesn''t bother me and it would be really weird for me to NOT have his opinion since we discuss EVERYTHING else together! We did get some weird looks in the bridal salons though!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
We live away from home so every time I''ve gone wedding dress shopping FI was with me.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it''s not common and on some sites they''ll tie you up by your toes, strip you naked and whip you with nettles for even suggesting the idea. Here we''re not so violent (some of us anyway). it''s definitely not the norm. Most women I know like to keep the tradition of only women shopping for the dress. Personally I took DH with me once as a joke. We went to David''s Bridal and I tried on a bunch of dresses for him. I knew in advance that they didn''t have anything I''d be interested in so there was no risk in it. We had a lot of fun. Ultimately DH didn''t see my dress until the day of. It was not purchased at DB.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
FI went dress shopping with me. I really didn't have any one to go with me, since my mom and best friend live far away. However, I took him to one store knowing pretty much what I wanted to dry on - I don't think he would've appreciated going to multiple stores and trying on 15 dresses in each place.

He was actually pretty useful to have along. He'll be honest about whether something is flattering on me, but he doesn't care about styles. If I went with my mom, I know she would hate everything I liked, so it was less stressful going with FI who just said he liked whatever I liked
3.gif

eta: DH went with me to POB in NYC. He needed to use the bathroom and when he came back told me the men's bathroom was basically a storage area for toilet paper, cleaning products, etc. Lol. Clearly, they're not used to having many men around (though I did see a few dads).

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t go shopping with DH I went alone, but he did see the dress I went with on the hanger before our wedding day.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I did ask my fiance if he wanted to go with me, because he knows that I want to have a really nice dress but I have to cut my dress budget. Since he wants me to have a really nice dress (I know it''s possible to get one for cheaper, but there are designers I have liked for a while now) he said he would want to go with me. I was actually a little surprised. I thought he would want to see me for the first time on the day of the wedding. He''s not very sure of all the "traditions" of weddings though.

I told him that instead of actually going shopping with me that we could look at magazines together and get an idea of what we both like. Ultimately it will be my choice if he likes it or not. Luckily we do have similar taste in terms of simplicity.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I always went with my FI. I wanted something he would love. Besides, the dress stuff was a nomumental pain and it made it so much more bearable to have him there and excited. Believe me, a gown that doesn''t fit, usaully without the shoes, make-up and a ponytail is a very different experience from all dolled up with accessesories and walking down the isle.

Mobinvera

Rough_Rock
I like the idea of dress shopping with FF. He has great style and I value his opinion. I imagine that seeing it as a sample in the dressing room will be a totally different experience than seeing me on the wedding day. Also, I plan to be involved with what he''s wearing as well.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I usually love shopping with my FI, he has a really good eye and has helped me find some really great dresses.

But he would have nothing to do with this trip. He said he does not want to see me until the big day. I ended up going alone because I had just moved to another state and didn''t know anyone.

SAPHIRINA

Rough_Rock
I am going to go dress shopping with my mom. But, it''s possible that I''ll have to visit a salon nearby where FI is finishing up his graduate degree. There is a dress there I''d like to try on and I haven''t been able to locate it elsewhere that''s convenient to visit. If I''ll need to go, he''ll take me and then entertain himself somewhere nearby while I try it on. He doesn''t mind seeing the dress before the wedding, but I would like it to be a surprise, and he is fine with that too
9.gif

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
fi never went shopping with me. i didn''t ask & really doubt he would have wanted to; however, if he had shown interest, i wouldn''t have been opposed. but i did show him photos of the dresses both online & of me in them. he''s seen a pic of me in the dress i ordered & once it''s in our house i doubt that i will have the restraint NOT to show him or probably even try it on for him.
3.gif

Mrs.SE

Rough_Rock
Nope, no way. I''d never go shopping with FI. Good gracious, my FI threw a fit when I even mentioned the idea of doing the "private moment" before the ceremony and getting in some intimate couples shots before the wedding. He doesn''t want to lay eyes on me until I walk down the isle. He''s going to cry...it might be the ugly cry too, lol :) He''s the more sensitive one in our relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results